Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009   #81
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: HC possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
no mention of Brian Billick?
name recognition - check
super bowl win on the resume' - check
able to gather a capable staff - check
available - check

why not?
In his first season with the Ravens, Billick led the team to its first non-losing record (88) in the franchise's brief four-year history.
The next season, Baltimore finished with a 124 record and earned its first playoff berth. Prior to reaching the playoffs, Billick forbade his players from using either the term "playoffs" or the term "Super Bowl," with the idea of keeping them focused on winning each game instead of on their more distant prize. Billick felt this approach would help them reach that prize, and went so far as to fine Tony Siragusa for violating this rule. In response, the players borrowed the term "Festivus" from the television series Seinfeld for the playoffs, and the term Festivus Maximus for the Super Bowl. When they reached the playoffs, Billick lifted this ban. The Ravens took advantage of their vaunted defense, which allowed an NFL record-low 165 points in the regular season, during the playoffs to advance to and win Super Bowl XXXV.

Maybe thats what we need to do. I actually forgot about him. He would be as good as any of the others mentioned. Sign him up!
Old 09-16-2009   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Bill Cowher.

The guy who just left town had the right makeup for Houston.
Old 09-17-2009   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Bill Cowher.

The guy who just left town had the right makeup for Houston.
If you mean the Ryan brother who just cleaned our clocks, you might be right.
Old 09-17-2009   #84
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
This thread should come with a barf bag.

Many of the options listed are very barfy. Or ancient. No offense, but they are.
...and your recommendation waaas......???

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-17-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2009   #85
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
...and your recommendation waaas......???
I have none. Which makes it barfier.

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.
Old 09-17-2009   #86
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hope Kubiak gets his shiite together because a lot of the options that people are saying are meh, ain't gonna come here, or ancient. It's vomity to contemplate.
I hope Kubiac gets his act together also. The thought of a new head coach and this team starting over AGAIN is just to awful to comtemplate.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 09-17-2009   #87
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2009   #88
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If Parcells can go to the Cowboys, Belichick can jilt the Jets the day after he takes the job, and Pitino can go to the Louisville, then I have seen crazier/barfier situations.
Old 09-17-2009   #89
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
which was the point of the thread. the grass ain't always greener on the other side.
And sometimes the grass is greener because it's on top of a septic tank.
Old 09-17-2009   #90
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
The grass hasn't even grown yet enough to make an evaluation on what color it is yet. We don't even know who the candidates are yet.

Here's what we know based on history:

1. McNair won't fire an HC during the season because he didn't do it to Capers.

2. NFL teams don't hire guys from the outside as interim coaches.

I'm sure you think it's too soon to be calling for Kubiak's head, but it's way too soon to be nominating replacements.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 09-17-2009   #91
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
awtysst would make a great head coach!
I thought everything was your fault anyway, so I agree and make it official. Got any free merchandize?
Old 09-17-2009   #92
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.
There is no way Tracy McGrady will ever play for the Houston Rockets....now we can't get the guy out of Houston. What if Cowher was made a minority owner?
Old 09-17-2009   #93
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

I'll just repeat my earlier post:

Quote:
I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.
Old 10-12-2009   #94
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 3 reasons Cowher would come here...and 1 why he won't

1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense. For the 3-4 he loves so much, we have killer speed DE's in MARIO and Barwin, and great LB's with Ryans and Cushing. (NT is an admitted weakness in the 3-4, but that can be worked on)

2. The NY market is not going to open up any time soon with the Jets doing well with Rex Ryan and the Giants the (debatable) best team in football with Coughlin. No way does he consider Oakland on the west coast either.

3. Great facilities, great winter climate.

And why he WOULDN'T come to Houston...

The Dallas Cowboys will have a coaching vacancy in 2010.
Old 10-12-2009   #95
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 reasons Cowher would come here...and 1 why he won't

I posted this in the 2010 HC thread... why the Dallas Cowboys are not an attractive coaching vacancy (assuming Phillips is canned)

The only coaches who will be interested in the Cowboys job are desperate yes-men willing to to do any puppet dance Jerry asks them to do (see recently Wade Phillips). The players are pampered and know Jerry is in charge and the coach will always eventually be undermined by Jerry. No big name HC with rings on their fingers will want to go into a situation where there's a little ferret looking over the shoulders at all times ready to undercut their authority. The Cowboys are slowly becoming the Raiders part 2. And I have friends who are Cowboy fans who call Jerry, Al Davis Jr.
Old 10-12-2009   #96
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still say Cowher is the only AVAILABLE (key word - AVAILABLE) coach that I would can Kubiak for. Kubiak, for all his failure, is SO CLOSE to having an elite team.
Old 10-13-2009   #97
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
1. We have talent. AJ, Schaub, KW, OD, Slaton, Chris Brown on offense.
Which one doesn't belong?
Old 10-13-2009   #98
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Which one doesn't belong?
I think he meant Kris with a K.
Old 10-13-2009   #99
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.
Old 10-13-2009   #100
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Cowher is waiting for the one of 2 jobs, Carolina, Fox is on the hot seat, and the Redskin job. Cowher wants to stay on the middle Atlantic coast.
Cowher wants to go where he can win, and win in the spotlight. Neither Carolina nor DC offers that. At least not any more than Houston does. Where would YOU rather coach? Look at all three phases of football, and where your strength is. Houston is Cowher's best option to WIN. But the question is, is it enough exposure for him?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read