Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009   #41
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: HC possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.
He's seriously pissed anytime something goes remotely wrong. Their local TV station had a Mike-O-Meter, with a pic of his red face LOL
Old 09-15-2009   #42
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would be great if they could lure Cowher here, just don't see it happening.

Not the biggest Gruden fan unless you want to collect QBs. He did very little to add to the team after Dungy left.

Mike Shannahan. No thanks.

Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.

Am interested in seeing how Sean McDermott does with the Eagles defense after this year. Thought he should've been our next DC.

Guy I think though who has a good track record and credibility to turn the ship around, Marty Schottenheimer. I would love to see some Marty ball in Houston.

For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-15-2009   #43
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the postseason. Didn't do so well when they got there, but they made it. That's a step up.
Old 09-15-2009   #44
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the postseason. Didn't do so well when they got there, but they made it. That's a step up.
No doubt, but I'd still rather go in another direction.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-15-2009   #45
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.
Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.
Old 09-15-2009   #46
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.
Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-15-2009   #47
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 11126 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I was also going to throw Charlie Weiss out there, but defensively, I don't know what he would bring.
His performance at Notre Dame leaves me less than enthused.
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2009   #48
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
His performance at Notre Dame leaves me less than enthused.
that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.
Old 09-15-2009   #49
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.
Pretty much my thoughts on Weiss.

I'm pretty sure unless the next 4 games look like Sunday's Kubiak will be here the rest of the season. Which, he should be to try and look like an NFL headcoach one last time. I'm done though.

I'm not so sure we'll see one pissed team. I hope we do. But, looking at yesterday's press conferences I didn't see a coach trying to explain a loss, I saw a coach trying to explain what the hell hit his team. Unacceptable.
Old 09-15-2009   #50
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...
Old 09-15-2009   #51
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Wildcard name that I like for some team in the future...

Mike Zimmer--He pretty much molded the Cowboys D for 7 years a few years back and they were very under rated. The gave up the fewest yards in 2003. He then went to Atlanta and left because of their coaching issues and has been at Cincy where they have started to turn it around on D. If you watched Hard Knocks he is a no-nonsense guy who brings tough love...while throwing in a few F bombs. He might be too experimental for here but I think he is the type guy needed.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-15-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2009   #52
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to give credence to this topic at this point in time, but that's not to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

And, to feed my own curiosity; assuming Kubiak was fired, and assuming McNair lured Cowher here with enough cash, what would he do as defensive hires? I know he had LeBeau for a large portion of his tenure with the Steelers. Who else ran his defense while he was there? And have they been strictly a 3-4 team, or do I remember correctly that they ran a 4-3 when LeBeau wasn't there?
Old 09-15-2009   #53
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

Well, that could mean that he's meant for Houston. Perhaps that changes everything and he wins the Super Bowl with us. A negative times a negative equals a positive.
Old 09-15-2009   #54
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...
As I said before. You gotta think that Dungy really considers it if we ask him.
Old 09-15-2009   #55
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I'm coming late into the thread, but I just wanted to say that I'm not sure it matters, actually. Other teams take guys who have been coordinators for a while, and they have success. Other teams go from 1-15 to winning records in a single year or maybe two. Other teams manage to make their rookie QBs or old beat-down vets look good.

Our team took a head coach with HC experience and they suck. Our team took a very highly regarded coordinator who had paid his dues and has been to SIX Super Bowls as a player and coach, and they suck. Our team never makes a miraculous single season turnaround, unless you consider going from 7-9 to 2-14 a turnaround.

I'm not sure it matters who you take as HC.
Old 09-15-2009   #56
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
As I said before. You gotta think that Dungy really considers it if we ask him.
Too many fans here complaining about not enough get-in-your-face angry rah rah, and Dungy is way calmer than Kubiak.
Old 09-15-2009   #57
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Biles.......... runs away
Old 09-15-2009   #58
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
Ron Rivera???
I could buy that.
Old 09-15-2009   #59
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking Coach Dungy said he was done with football and wants to be a mentor/counselor to young men from now on.

For what that's worth..so many retire and then "un" retire.
Old 09-15-2009   #60
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ed Biles.......... runs away
Yeah you better run away.

Give me the comedian Glanville over that id-iot. LOL
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read