Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

HC possibilities - Cowher is the current flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Oak

All Pro
I'm not in the group that wants Kubiak out, but if the season spirals downward from yesterday, then I will be in that group soon.

That said, I thought we could throw some names out that could be available at seasons end.

Jon Gruden

I'm not in the group that wants Kubiak out, but if the season spirals downward from yesterday, then I will be in that group soon.

That said, I thought we could throw some names out that could be available at seasons end.

Jon Gruden

I've always liked Gruden. He runs the same offense pretty much. I wonder who he would bring in as D Coordinator?

Boy, you know the season has already gone into the sh!tter when you see threads like this pop up.

Ugh.

I like Gruden.

I like Cowher too, but folks keep saying he would never come to Houston. I don't know what they have to back this statement up, so if anyone could education me, please do.

Shanny is a possibility that does NOT set my panties on fire. More of the same, IMHO.

Boy, you know the season has already gone into the sh!tter when you see threads like this pop up.

Ugh.

:um: wait a minute...

I see what you did there. Weren't you the one that started the Fire Kubiak thread during the game yesterday? :hmmm:

I like Cowher too, but folks keep saying he would never come to Houston. I don't know what they have to back this statement up, so if anyone could education me, please do.

Me too, please. Bill Cowher likes having full control and Bob McNair is not really a hand on owner. At least we'd have that going for us if the season goes really, really downhill...

I like Gruden.

Shanny is a possibility that does NOT set my panties on fire. More of the same, IMHO.

I think Gruden is overrated. His players hated him in Tampa, in not in that good way.

If Bill Cowher wanted to be coaching, he'd be coaching. You think the availability of the Texans job is going to pull him out of retirement? Not a chance. There are potentially going to be WAY more attractive jobs (for Cowher) than Houston at the end of this season.

Carolina - where he's from and where most people think he's just waiting for them to fire the current HC.
Dallas - huge piles of money, high profile job - and if you think he won't put up with the Billionaire Hillbilly Jerrah Jones, don't forget that Parcells put up with him.
Redskins - high profile, owner is insane with money and will spend it without question, great division, rich history.
Vikings - great O-line and D-line already in place, perhaps the best RB of our generation already in place, decent amount of history.

Look at all those jobs that might be available, and ask yourself why Bill Cowher would consider the Texans?

I like Gruden.

I think Bill has kids in high school (one of the Carolinas) and wants to stay close to them so that's the reason it's reported he wouldn't be interested in a job here.

Now if the Panthers job came open I bet he would listen.

Yesterday's game was just plain awful and I know it is very hard to swallow with loss that said.

I'd been enjoying reading and discussing with your guys on this web site and just hate to see negative vibes from game 1. We still got 15 more regular season games and you never know what is going to happen at the end.
Who knows, we may end up with winning record.

So, why don't we just wait till this season is over?

Let us look forward to the next game against Titans!

GO TEXANS!!:fans:

I think Gruden is overrated. His players hated him in Tampa, in not in that good way.

If Bill Cowher wanted to be coaching, he'd be coaching. You think the availability of the Texans job is going to pull him out of retirement? Not a chance. There are potentially going to be WAY more attractive jobs (for Cowher) than Houston at the end of this season.

Carolina - where he's from and where most people think he's just waiting for them to fire the current HC.
Dallas - huge piles of money, high profile job - and if you think he won't put up with the Billionaire Hillbilly Jerrah Jones, don't forget that Parcells put up with him.
Redskins - high profile, owner is insane with money and will spend it without question, great division, rich history.
Vikings - great O-line and D-line already in place, perhaps the best RB of our generation already in place, decent amount of history.

Look at all those jobs that might be available, and ask yourself why Bill Cowher would consider the Texans?

B/c Bob McNair has just as much money as most if not all those other owners and I bet if he had to blow it up.....AGAIN./......he'd go balls out and all in on this one and spend whatever he had too, and we all KNOW money is usually the bottom line and I have no doubt that would lure Cowher here.

:um: wait a minute...

I see what you did there. Weren't you the one that started the Fire Kubiak thread during the game yesterday? :hmmm:

Psssst. Hey DB, I'll let you in on a little secret if you promise not to tell anyone. I knew that a "Fire Kubiak" thread was going to be created soon anyway. But I didn't want new "Fire Kubiak" threads to pop up week in and week out, so I took the initiative and created an "All encompassing Fire Kubiak", so that there will be only one "Fire Kubiak" thread on this board for the entire season. Theoretically that is, provided that you moderators haven't forgotten what "all encompassing" means. We'll see how that works out. ;)

So, there are methods to my madness sometimes.

(But again . . . . . shhhhhhh . . . be bery bery quiet. Lucky might hear us talking. Shhhhhhhhh)

After giving it some thought, I honestly don't want to even stare down the abyss and contemplate a new HC. Not right now, not at this point. I remember when they fired Palmer two games into 2-14, and it was a feeling of freefall from that point on. I've just got a taste of a new football season and I'm already thinking about regime change scenarios? It's much too depressing.

I'm not predicting it by any means, but the possibility exists that they can do something in the next 15 games. I'm choosing at this moment to live in a perspective that maybe, through some mysterious cosmic force of football voodoo, they get the positive mojo and show us that are better than yesterday.

It's possible....maybe....:goodluck:

B/c Bob McNair has just as much money as most if not all those other owners and I bet if he had to blow it up.....AGAIN./......he'd go balls out and all in on this one and spend whatever he had too, and we all KNOW money is usually the bottom line and I have no doubt that would lure Cowher here.

If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.

Cowher makes sense. We have yet to make a splash nationally and bringing Cowher in would give us a chance to reboot our franchise.

I think Jones has his eye on Shanahan as opposed to Cowher. Cowher looks destined for Carolina most likely but that doesn't mean you don't try and lure him here. Give him total control and give him an open checkbook to assemble a truly top notch coaching staff...then get out of the way.

Cowher would bring instant credibility and instanty accountability. His way or the highway. He wouldn't have put up with Dunta's act on Sunday. Gary should have sat Dunta's arse on the bench all Sunday once he saw the garbage he wrote on his shoe. What a juvenile little pr*ck. Your getting paid almost 10 million and you are saying 'Pay me, Rick' on your freaking shoes. Really? Oh man, that got my goat. They didn't let any of the people at the stadium know about the shoe and I don't know if the TV coverage showed it...but that was pathetic. Dunta needs to be traded yesterday for almost anything. his postgame interview almost made me throw up in my mouth. I used to love Dunta but he is a piece of dogcrap in my book now.

in addition, I feel Rick Smith may need to go sooner rather than later. The whole first name business makes me worry about his relationship with the players...then you have the whole collusion question with him and McNair....He may have crossed the friendship line and it may make him less effective.

If money was the motivating factor for Cowher, he would have been coaching already. He's waiting for the perfect situation, which will mean TONS of money, and a place he wants to go. All the Texans can provide is the money side of it.

Bill Cowher is not coming to Houston. Get it out of your heads, seriously. It's a pipe dream.

Spot on! All these big-name coaches have been there and done that with established teams. It would take a lot more than money, no matter how much that money might be, for them to consider coming out of retirement.

The Houston Texans???? Why would any of them want to coach the Houston freaking Texans? There is nothing to offer them besides a boatload of money. But they already have boatloads. There is nothing to offer them.

What's all the complaining about? We are in second place and only one game out of first place. The Stros should be so lucky.

I think Rick Smith is ruthless and does not have a problem turning on Kubiak. In fact I'm not so sure he hasn't already.

I think Rick Smith is ruthless and does not have a problem turning on Kubiak. In fact I'm not so sure he hasn't already.

I don't know about that since Kubiak was here before Smith, and likely got him his job. They also worked together in Denver. If one gets fired they likely both will, since they've worked in the same scheme their entire careers, so I doubt they're turning on each other.

I watched Kubiak on the news tonight and the man appeared totally defeated. So did Matt Schaub. You can say all the right things, but, body language, tone of voice, expressions, tell an awful lot. Not focused at all, just FLAT. They need to get their sheeeeet together and PLAN for Tennessee, if that's possible. The Jets are history, march on!!

D____ I miss the old days when players weren't paid millions of bucks to have an inflated ego, and coaches were ruthless, mean, and relentless! I'm just gettin to old for this game. It's ceasing to be fun, and that's sad.

As for HC possibilities. BUM PHILLIPS!! J/K :fans:

I can't come up with some names but I wouldnt't mind if we brought the Run & Shoot offense and the 46defence back to Houston. Both being agressive style of play matches the city agressive style with a laid back atitude.

Would be great if they could lure Cowher here, just don't see it happening.

Not the biggest Gruden fan unless you want to collect QBs. He did very little to add to the team after Dungy left.

Mike Shannahan. No thanks.

Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.

Am interested in seeing how Sean McDermott does with the Eagles defense after this year. Thought he should've been our next DC.

Guy I think though who has a good track record and credibility to turn the ship around, Marty Schottenheimer. I would love to see some Marty ball in Houston.

Mike Holmgren, successful but does he have the fire some of the fans want? Not sure. Has a good history of developing QBs.

He's seriously pissed anytime something goes remotely wrong. Their local TV station had a Mike-O-Meter, with a pic of his red face LOL

Would be great if they could lure Cowher here, just don't see it happening.

Not the biggest Gruden fan unless you want to collect QBs. He did very little to add to the team after Dungy left.

Mike Shannahan. No thanks.

Am interested in seeing how Sean McDermott does with the Eagles defense after this year. Thought he should've been our next DC.

Guy I think though who has a good track record and credibility to turn the ship around, Marty Schottenheimer. I would love to see some Marty ball in Houston.

For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.

Marty Schottenheimer got his teams to the postseason. Didn't do so well when they got there, but they made it. That's a step up.

For the record, I think it's completely ridiculous that we're even having this conversation after week 1 - but just in the context of this thread, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic name I've seen so far.

I would ABSOLUTELY HATE that hire, but it's more of a possibility than any of the others I've seen so far.

Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.

Just curious why? Lack of post season production?

I think it's a bit ridiculous but, at the same time I think warranted.

Just because you know what you're going to get with Marty. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather go with someone with more possible upside than a guy who has had success but has never been able to finish in the playoffs.

His performance at Notre Dame leaves me less than enthused.

that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.

that's why I held back. he may have been a product of Belichick's success and not have much to offer himself.

again, I want to keep Kubiak for now, but I just wanted to see what names folks could see coming here. FWIW...I'm less than enthused by the list to this point.

I see a very pissed team coming out this Sunday and then the Mods can delete this thread...at least for a week.

Pretty much my thoughts on Weiss.

I'm pretty sure unless the next 4 games look like Sunday's Kubiak will be here the rest of the season. Which, he should be to try and look like an NFL headcoach one last time. I'm done though.

I'm not so sure we'll see one pissed team. I hope we do. But, looking at yesterday's press conferences I didn't see a coach trying to explain a loss, I saw a coach trying to explain what the hell hit his team. Unacceptable.

Cowher is the obvious choice but also a pie-in-the-sky. Mike Holmgren or Dungy would be perfect, especially Dungy. No thanks to Gruden or Papa Shanahan. Or Martyball.

Scouting out a new guy might work too...I mean it worked for the Steelers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back