Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default After further review...

I've now seen the game live, and watched the DVR replay, and here are my comments on what I saw. Would love to hear other comments after many of you others have also had a chance to watch the tape.

1. Our secondary is awful, awful, awful. The safeties in particular, but our cornerbacks made mistake after mistake after mistake. They're never around the ball, and they can't tackle when the ball runs to THEM. Dunta Robinson flew all over the field, but he flew PAST plays and was on the ground when anything that mattered happened. An unacceptable performance from someone who wants Rick to pay him.

2. Steve Slaton may be a talented player, but he still doesn't seem to have learned the ZBS. He still follows blockers rather than splits the blockers. He dances around instead of making his one cut. He's great on screens and sweeps, though. Maybe Dominique Barber could switch to RB. He made a nice one-cut on his fumble recovery run.

3. Chris Brown is still a very good running back. Personally, I think HE should start and Slaton should be the 3rd down back unless Brown gets hurt and forces Slaton back into the starting role.

4. Shanahan and the offense need to figure out new ways to get Andre Johnson involved. Without Kevin Walter, AJ is the only receiver that can make plays. OD has reliable hands, but if you're having to rely on your tight end to carry your offense, then you're not going to rack up many yards.

5. Kubiak HAS to figure out ways to protect his quarterbacks, especially early on. Teams are blitzing early and often, and yet he insists on sticking to "the plan". Screen plays and short passes - especially slants over the middle, which I don't think are included in our arsenal - keep blitzing defenses honest. Yet the offensive plan still seems to always be run up the gut and then try a 15+ yard pass play. Repeat until you score or punt.

6. DeMeco Ryans is a stellar middle linebacker. Brian Cushing had a very good first game. Mario Williams is an absolute beast. Our front 4 did their jobs. Everyone else on the defense needs to learn how to tackle.

7. Kyle Shanahan forgot that we had Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson on our team.

8. Kubiak needs to allow his quarterbacks more flexibility. Allow them to read defenses and audible in reaction. I don't think I've ever seen a Texans quarterback make an audible in the Kubiak era. If they can't hear the play in the headset, they call timeouts. This IS a West Coast style offense, after all. Call a double slant or a crossing route when you see the blitz coming. Same with the receivers. When a play gets busted or covered well, nobody seems to be able to improvise and make something happen. Instead, the quarterback gets sacked. Don't these guys work on this in practice?

9. Frank Bush promised to get aggressive, but he got almost no pressure on Sanchez up the middle. At the game, it felt like they never even got close to him. Watching the replay, we actually got a LOT of pressure on him, but all of that pressure came from the outside. Flushing a mobile quarterback out of the pocket makes them dangerous. This strategy may work against, say Collins or Favre, but not against strong mobile guys like Flacco or McNabb. Or Sanchez. Our defense is good for two downs, and terrible on third downs.

10. The Jets defense is good. Very good.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: After further review...

Agree on a lot of the points.

4,7, and 8 stuck out though.

We were totally uncreative in trying to find way to get our best play (AJ) the ball.

We were toally unpreapred or didn't seem to know how the handle blitz packages. Which is sad considering we've had all off-season to figure that out at least to an acceptable point.

Was disheartening to see to a rookie out there making hot reads on our team's blitzes and our QB unable to do so. Can't figure out for the life of me as well when you've got big bodies on the defensive front and you have a smaller atheltic line, go the the no huddle and make them big boys run. Again this staff still seems unable to make in game adjustments.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Two things really stuck out to me. One blitz that Ryan used over and over was that blitz where Jenkins backed up like a Mike backer, and the buc and mac linebackers shot in and took on the Guards while Jenkins sprinted up behind them like a run away freight train. That blitz was designed to get Jenkins one on one with Myers or whomever didn't absorb the inside linebackers. You usually see teams run something like that once or twice and then the team they are using it against finds a way to stop it. The Texans never seemed to figure out how to stop it, and the Jets kept using it over and over. This blitz and a few other blitz packages pretty much told me that the Texans were thoroughly out coached yesterday.

The other thing that really, really stuck out to me was the fact that if you are going to blitz like crazy, you better have superior S play. We may have the worst tandem of starting S's in the NFL and there were times when a more experienced QB would have pressed downfield a bit more. I can see us giving up even more big plays going forward if we stay with our "more aggressive" blitz packages since we really don't have quality S play to clean up. One reason we didn't stop the Jets on 3rd down was the fact that we had to send an extra man, but when we did this, we not only didn't get to Sanchez then we couldn't cover well with the extra man blitzing. I like a more aggressive defense but if you don't get good S play then we better be prepared to give up tons of 3rd down conversions and many more long plays this season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #4
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, and also on Schaub. I don't put this on his head at all. At the game, I thought he just looked "off". On watching the replay, he was just pummeled all day long, with pressure in his face on practically every single play. He had no TIME to get the ball anywhere. On most run plays, the Jets defense damn near could have taken the handoffs.

By the way, I FINALLY saw the kind of defense I wanted to see in Reliant Stadium. Only it was from the guys in green. Frank Bush, go to school. If you're going to promise pressure, bring the pressure like the Jets did. You could learn a lot from Buddy and Rex Ryan. Best pressure defenses in the history of the NFL.
Old 09-14-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Oh, and also on Schaub. I don't put this on his head at all. At the game, I thought he just looked "off". On watching the replay, he was just pummeled all day long, with pressure in his face on practically every single play. He had no TIME to get the ball anywhere. On most run plays, the Jets defense damn near could have taken the handoffs.

By the way, I FINALLY saw the kind of defense I wanted to see in Reliant Stadium. Only it was from the guys in green. Frank Bush, go to school. If you're going to promise pressure, bring the pressure like the Jets did. You could learn a lot from Buddy and Rex Ryan. Best pressure defenses in the history of the NFL.
see my post above. Schaub was "off" because the Texans weren't prepared to handle what was thrown at them. Since Schaub got hurt by sideline chalk in the preseason he wasn't real mobile and the Texans never found a way to double Jenkins with Ryans blitz wrinkle designed to get him one on one with Meyers. I never saw an adjustment that forced them to stop doing this.

Old 09-14-2009   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: After further review...

Quote:
I've
5. Kubiak HAS to figure out ways to protect his quarterbacks, especially early on. Teams are blitzing early and often, and yet he insists on sticking to "the plan". Screen plays and short passes - especially slants over the middle, which I don't think are included in our arsenal - keep blitzing defenses honest. Yet the offensive plan still seems to always be run up the gut and then try a 15+ yard pass play. Repeat until you score or punt.
QFT. "Running to set up the pass" is the most made up concept EVER. What worked last year? Over the middle to OD, opening up Slaton to the run and AJ to the long bomb.

WTF are we back to run, run, run (-3 net) then throw?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #7
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The other thing that really, really stuck out to me was the fact that if you are going to blitz like crazy, you better have superior S play. We may have the worst tandem of starting S's in the NFL and there were times when a more experienced QB would have pressed downfield a bit more. I can see us giving up even more big plays going forward if we stay with our "more aggressive" blitz packages since we really don't have quality S play to clean up. One reason we didn't stop the Jets on 3rd down was the fact that we had to send an extra man, but when we did this, we not only didn't get to Sanchez then we couldn't cover well with the extra man blitzing. I like a more aggressive defense but if you don't get good S play then we better be prepared to give up tons of 3rd down conversions and many more long plays this season.
This sounds SO much like Richard Smith's philosophies. Many of us fans have been saying for 8 seasons now how desperately we need a good safety. Good pressure on a QB, though, especially from the middle, can make even a weak secondary look very, very good.
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2009   #8
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
WTF are we back to run, run, run (-3 net) then throw?
It's like the Capers years all over again, eh Yankee? Run, run, run. Pass when 3rd and 10 or more.
Old 09-14-2009   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
see my post above. Schaub was "off" because the Texans weren't prepared to handle what was thrown at them. Since Schaub got hurt by sideline chalk in the preseason he wasn't real mobile and the Texans never found a way to double Jenkins with Ryans blitz wrinkle designed to get him one on one with Meyers. I never saw an adjustment that forced them to stop doing this.
I never saw an adjustment period! Hell, I never do. IIRC, that was one of the faults of the other regime as well. Other teams make sideline adjustments, or at halftime if nothing else.....us, not so much. Our coaching staff seems to not have answers for a lot of stuff.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This sounds SO much like Richard Smith's philosophies. Many of us fans have been saying for 8 seasons now how desperately we need a good safety. Good pressure on a QB, though, especially from the middle, can make even a weak secondary look very, very good.
Disagree completely. I think pressure up the middle can help a secondary look better, but it's not going to make them look good.

I think a good secondary however, can give the front seven time to get to the CB which makes them look better. That extra second in coverage could mean the difference between a completion and a sack.

Overall the current staff has gotten this team to the point where they look like for the most part an NFL team with promising talent. However, their inability to utilize it or fill holes quickly is sinking the team as a whole.

I'm at a crossroads right now. Part of me hopes this team limps through the season so maybe we can get a new coach. Though and Herv points out I'm not suer so McNair will go for a proven guy, and we might see the same thing. The other part of me wants to just win badly, but again that means this staff sticks around. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 09-14-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I honestly don't think you can get that same kind of pressure from a 4-3 ?
I can't recall seeing a 4-3 generate the kind of pressure I've seen from the Steelers defense, or the Ravens, and yesterdays Jets 3-4 ?
BTW, if you saw the game last night Capers had the GB D all over Cutler. I dunno, why didn't our 3-4 look like that when Capers was here ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The Buddy Ryan Bears and the Steel Curtain would like to argue that point. There have been tons of dominant 4-3 defenses in the NFL...probably many more than 3-4 teams.

Old 09-14-2009   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I can't recall seeing a 4-3 generate the kind of pressure I've seen from the Steelers defense, or the Ravens, and yesterdays Jets 3-4 ?
BTW, if you saw the game last night Capers had the GB D all over Cutler. I dunno, why didn't our 3-4 look like that when Capers was here ?
Must've never seen a Giants or Eagles game. Even the Bears and Bucs a few years ago. Titans have a stout 4-3 as well (god it hurts saying that).

Said it last night Packers had a decent 4-3 before switching. What's key is they had a solid LBing corps to start with and a guy that was capable of playing NT, also got the gift of the draft's best NT in Raji.

Capers has been good at working with what he's got, long as he wasn't selecting talent for it.
Old 09-14-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

1st round: best free safety
2nd round: best Defensive tackle
3rd round: best power back. No we ain't waiting for later round.
4th round: best corner back.
5th round: best offensive guard.
6th round: trade for a stronger, bigger center just in case Caldwell ain't the guy.
7th round: another linebacker to start

Free agency: Do NOT sign a defensive tackle!
Old 09-14-2009   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two things really stuck out to me. One blitz that Ryan used over and over was that blitz where Jenkins backed up like a Mike backer, and the buc and mac linebackers shot in and took on the Guards while Jenkins sprinted up behind them like a run away freight train. That blitz was designed to get Jenkins one on one with Myers or whomever didn't absorb the inside linebackers. You usually see teams run something like that once or twice and then the team they are using it against finds a way to stop it. The Texans never seemed to figure out how to stop it, and the Jets kept using it over and over. This blitz and a few other blitz packages pretty much told me that the Texans were thoroughly out coached yesterday.

And our safety play has always been a problem. Why we don't go after one I have no idea. We have had years to do it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

This is kind of random and off-topic, but did anyone notice if Casey was even active?
Old 09-14-2009   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They wouldn't win a relay race either . Barber ran a 4.7 out of college ( Cushing ran a 4.67 ) and while speed isn't everything , it will make up for mistakes .
Old 09-14-2009   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
And our safety play has always been a problem. Why we don't go after one I have no idea. We have had years to do it.
I don't know being the Broncos had safety's like Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater .

Trivia time ... who were the other DB's who started in college with Smith and at what shool .
Old 09-14-2009   #19
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to see a quality thread fellas. So much to fix with this team.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #20
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
This is kind of random and off-topic, but did anyone notice if Casey was even active?
He was on the kickoff return. At least that's when I noticed him. I'm sure he was on the other special teams.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read