Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Start Chris Brown!!!!!

Can anyone say Sophmore Jinx? I know people are going to get mad at me for saying it and even suggesting it but facts are facts. Start Chris Brown. He's the only one who has resembled a RB. Tennessee's d is coming and they are pissed. Maybe Chris wants to prove something to the Titans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Start Chris Brown!!!!!

I agree. Slaton is running and blocking like he's completely afraid of contact, not to mention i saw him getting chased down by linebackers too many times yesterday, and his fumble was the turning point IMO. Start Chris Brown!
Old 09-14-2009   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

The weight gain this off-season looks to have muted his trade mark burst which is what he really had going for him. I don't think Chris Brown is the answer but, El Tejano is right yesterday he was the most effective for what that is worth.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that we're too quick to jump on Slaton.

I don't think that he was ever really a between the tackles RB anyway. He probably knew that too, hence the weight gain.

I put this on the coaching. Any half-wit knows that when the run game isn't working, then to start running screen passes

....and not to give up on it because there was a fumble.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

There was no room for Slaton to run yesterday. Slaton is NOT the problem. That gameplan was pathetic. Why the hell do you keep trying to run it when you're only getting 1-2 yards a carry?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy led the AFC in yards from scrimmage last year. Let's give him a little more rope, okay?

Also - the thing that most muted his trademark burst was the Jets defense. They're the real deal, and maybe you missed Rag Doll getting his face bashed into the Reliant turf ALL GAME yesterday by Kris Jenkins.

Sure, some of it is Slaton. I'm not denying that. He seems more tentative, no doubt... but you don't quit on the guy who led the AFC in total yards after one bad game. I don't count the preseason because he was never in those games long enough to get into any kind of rhythm.

But yeah - some of this is on Steve. No doubt.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
The weight gain this off-season looks to have muted his trade mark burst which is what he really had going for him. I don't think Chris Brown is the answer but, El Tejano is right yesterday he was the most effective for what that is worth.
I'd heard it suggested a few times going into yesterday's game...he sure didn't look like he had any burst. When they put Brown in, I was hoping they'd simply "sit" Slaton for a series or two, but lo-and-behold they had him out running patterns and he coughs it up. I take nothing away from the excellent Jets textbook tackle on the play, but if you can't count on your primary RB to max protect the football, then who CAN you count on?
Old 09-14-2009   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is ridiculous. The problem isn't Slaton, it's the O-line. You can't demonstrate acceleration when you only have three yards in front of you.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #9
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
The guy led the AFC in yards from scrimmage last year. Let's give him a little more rope, okay?

Also - the thing that most muted his trademark burst was the Jets defense. They're the real deal, and maybe you missed Rag Doll getting his face bashed into the Reliant turf ALL GAME yesterday by Kris Jenkins.

Sure, some of it is Slaton. I'm not denying that. He seems more tentative, no doubt... but you don't quit on the guy who led the AFC in total yards after one bad game. I don't count the preseason because he was never in those games long enough to get into any kind of rhythm.

But yeah - some of this is on Steve. No doubt.
Guys, way too early to bench folks - let's see how things play out over the next two weeks. That being said, I do agree with the idea of giving Brown more touches - he definately looks like he is hitting the line with authority and more bust...but Slaton has too much talent to drop to the side after only one game.
Old 09-14-2009   #10
Ckw

Look, I'm not some football guru but the lack of football knowledge on this board blows my mind sometimes. The scene from the end of Billy Madison sticks out to me right now....

Slaton was far from the problem yesterday. All this talk about Slaton losing his burst is just plain idiotic. I saw quite a few plays where I saw Slaton turn on the jets, especially during the play he fumbled. This thread doesn't even get started, unless you are crazier than I think you are, if Slaton doesn't fumble that ball. The fact is we got out toughed yesterday in the trenches, and we lost. There was no running room, there was no blocking, and we plain sucked.
Old 09-14-2009   #11
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't blame anything on Slaton other than the fumble. Last time I checked Slaton has never been a big time "bruiser" running back, so why did we try and use him as one?

I'm more disappointed in our offensive play calling than anything else. I cannot recall Schaub attempting even one pass that would have gone for at least 15 yards. It was all screen passes on 3rd and long.

If you're looking for something to blame, I'd blame the offensive line being completely outplayed, Kyle Shanahan's play calling, and the lack of consistency from the team as a whole.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Although I'm pretty sure just about everyone in here could take the ball 10 times and get 20 yards I'm not ready to bench Slaton. I don't think he gained so much to slow his feet down, I just think he's not a power/run through contact guy and when he was getting the ball it was practically Jenkins as the one handing it off.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
There was no room for Slaton to run yesterday. Slaton is NOT the problem. That gameplan was pathetic. Why the hell do you keep trying to run it when you're only getting 1-2 yards a carry?
Really?

Chris Brown had 3 carries for 15 yards. Slaton had 9 for 17. Chris Brown was making yards after contact, Steve Slaton wasn't.

The running game was a problem, and maybe the offensive line should shoulder some of that blame, but if one of your running backs can average over two and a half times the yards per carry more (that's *1.8* ypc for Slaton to five for Brown), he warrants more playing time.

So, maybe Chris Brown shouldn't get the "start," but I think he deserves at least 40% of the carries to see if he can gain the yards that Slaton hasn't been able to.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #14
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton does look more tentative. But if we are assigning blame based on percentages here, I'd say MAYBE 10% of it is Steve's fault.

The majority of the "fault" lies with the freaking fantastic Jets defense, and our shocking inability to fix our problems with 3-4 defenses AFTER AN ENTIRE FREAKING OFFSEASON!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Really?

Chris Brown had 3 carries for 15 yards. Slaton had 9 for 17. Chris Brown was making yards after contact, Steve Slaton wasn't.

The running game was a problem, and maybe the offensive line should shoulder some of that blame, but if one of your running backs can average over two and a half times the yards per carry more (that's *1.8* ypc for Slaton to five for Brown), he warrants more playing time.

So, maybe Chris Brown shouldn't get the "start," but I think he deserves at least 40% of the carries to see if he can gain the yards that Slaton hasn't been able to.
Brown should've been a bigger part of the gameplan, which goes back to my main point, the staff blew this one.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #16
Texans_bull
Veteran

Rep Power: 22 Texans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of FamerTexans_bull is a Hall of Famer

Yep... The coaching sucked..
Texans_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #17
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Giving Brown more touches is just asking for him to go on IR. Then we'll have "Start Moats!!" threads.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #18
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

The sure do need to get Brown in more often - sooner rather than later.

As sooner rather than later he will get hurt and be out for the rest of the season.
Old 09-14-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Start Stacy Mack!!

come on guys, seriously? Slaton was the only player last year to put up a 100 yard game on the Titans and he did it TWICE. Lets reserve judgement a little
Old 09-14-2009   #20
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Really?

What downs was Brown carrying on? 3rd downs where the NY offense was spread?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read