Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are the 2009 Texans fixable?

I am wanting to have a reasoned discourse about the fixability of this year's team. (i.e. no fire the owner, ball boy kind of discussions). As for Kubiak's tenure with the team, I do not wish to engage in this discussion now because McNair isn't going to fire him midseason so save your powder.

Actually, I want you to take the roll of Kubiak in this exercise. Given what is realistic to do, can you fix this team and how?

The game against the Jets was the perfect storm of suckage. Here's our inventory:

Schaub, Myers, Pitts, Leach coming off of injuries. Even without injuries there were questions whether the middle of the line could hold against physical teams. #2 receiver out. Backup QB has questionable understanding of the offense and #3 QB is uh, not ready for primetime or Sunday at noon for that matter. Running game has gone AWOL. OC is rookie at calling plays, game planning.

The defense has a new coordinator putting in new scheme and techniques. Hard to pinpoint weakness on defense that has a lot of weak positions. The defensive tackles are underwhelming and the secondary is a bunch of rooks and Mr. Just Wants to Get Paid who skipped camp because he could and is relearning how to tackle. Eugene Wilson and Jacques Reeves are both recovering from injuries, don't know when they are available. DC is rookie at caling plays, game planning.

Next week you are facing the Titans on the road. What do you do? (Please, I want this to be a football discussion, so please leave out the "assume the fetal position" or "punch yourself in the face" comments cuz there's plenty of other threads to vent).

And if you don't want to answer from a Kubiak perspective, how about this question? Do you think:

1. The Texans are just going to struggle against more physical teams but beat up weak sisters.

2. This team is just going to be bad.

3. This was just one of those games, and the Texans will get their stuff together. The offense and defense need more time to gel instead of looking like gel.

Or some sort of combo of one of these.
Old 09-14-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are the 2009 Texans fixable?

Heres my honest opinion after 1 game:

The Texans continued their trend of looking very unprepared for their opening game against an aggressive defender. Heavy blitzing 3-4 teams often give pocket passers a difficult run (remember when SD dismantled Payton and the Colts OL looked horrible and Payton yelled at them).

Do I think we're fixable? Absolutely. This team has talent, which is more than you could say in 2007.

What will it take? Clever playcalling to maximize. I think our defense has the potential to be very, very good. We shut down the run for 90% of that game. Thomas Jones had 10+ carries for <20 yards at one point--if we had taken advantage of that ,the Jets would have abandoned the run game. Our offense will be better if the other team isn't as aggressive as the Jets OR if we learn how to gameplan against aggressive defenses.
Old 09-14-2009   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

they will be somewhere between Option 1 and Option 2. One of the few things that Kubiak has shown an ability to do is to keep a team from quitting when things look bad. I think we have enough talent to salvage 5-7 wins but talk of the playoffs is clearly over after yesterday's performance at home.

the only way they could reach Option 3 is to nut it up and win next week at Tennessee and then carry that into the following 2 home games.

I thought 10-6 or 9-7 before season, 7-9 or 8-8 after preseason, 4-12 after yesterdays game, but after a night of sleeping on it, I will go with 6-10 or 7-9.
Old 09-14-2009   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

imo, this team will be better than last years team because of the defence. they are alot better than last years outfit in that respect. i know we were by no means shutdown yesterday, especially on 3rd down, but they were pretty fun to watch whereas last year anytime they came out, it made me feel 'oh shit, here we go again'.

the offence will fix itself. they didnt become a bad unit over the last 8 months. they're a bit nicked up right now with schaub, pitts, myers & walter not 100% but they'll play themselves into shape hopefully
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Do I think we're fixable? Absolutely. This team has talent, which is more than you could say in 2007.

How do you know they have talent? Some people thought Phillip Buchanon was an upgrade for an aging secondary.

Or in 2007, they had Schaub, Rosenfels. Is dinged up Schaub + a dude that missed most of the preseason because of a hamstring an upgrade?

It's not like they brought a bunch of proven Pro Bowlers to the team.

The things they did are what they did. My question is what their next steps are.
Old 09-14-2009   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
they will be somewhere between Option 1 and Option 2. One of the few things that Kubiak has shown an ability to do is to keep a team from quitting when things look bad. I think we have enough talent to salvage 5-7 wins but talk of the playoffs is clearly over after yesterday's performance at home.

the only way they could reach Option 3 is to nut it up and win next week at Tennessee and then carry that into the following 2 home games.

I thought 10-6 or 9-7 before season, 7-9 or 8-8 after preseason, 4-12 after yesterdays game, but after a night of sleeping on it, I will go with 6-10 or 7-9.
Yeah, clearly.

It was an embarrassing loss, but to say any hope of playoffs is over is kinda ridiculous. Do I think we're going to the playoffs? Doubtful
Old 09-14-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
How do you know they have talent? Some people thought Phillip Buchanon was an upgrade for an aging secondary.

Or in 2007, they had Schaub, Rosenfels. Is dinged up Schaub + a dude that missed most of the preseason because of a hamstring an upgrade?
It's not like they brought a bunch of proven Pro Bowlers to the team.

The things they did are what they did. My question is what their next steps are.

5/11 starters are either injured or just back from injuries. they need time to get into shape & re-gel so to speak. they were good last year. the exact same 11 are there & they arent an aging unit who have suddenly past their prime

on defence i think everybody would agree that it was the secondary struggled most especially imo ferguson who wouldnt be in there usually. wilson & reeves are close to coming back. that'll help. dunta is just back and played decent but admitted he mssed some tackles he usually makes. busing played decent & offers an alternative if barber plays badly. moldens just coming back. brice wont make a dumb mistake like that again if he wants some play time etc

there are plenty of reasons to still believe in this team
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, but I tend to believe the defense played well in the first half and by the second half they were on the field so much they were gased, especially since this was the season opener and conditioning was an issue because of limited playing time in preseason. BTW, Cushing looked good,
had a favorable NFL debut.
The only TD they gave up before halftime was a busted play because we had a rookie in for a regular starter in the D-backfield.
The problem was on the offensive side of the ball and the coaching staffs puzzling lack of readiness/preperation agasint the 3-4, especially with Schaubs injury and therefor inabilty to have any mobility ? If they insisted on starting Schaub, why on earth didn't they make a change at the half after
discovering his ineffectiveness ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #9
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on what you call fixable. If fixable means taking a team to the playoffs, then I'd say no, probably not. This team is weak up the middle of the o'line and has been for years (aka small linemen). Until we get it fixed, we'll have trouble against team possessing strong defensive lines. On the up side, we don't face teams with great d-lines every week. We can still beat the Raiders, Cardinals, Bengals, 49ers & Colts. A winning season isn't outside the realm of possibilities but we'll have to get strong line play on both sides of the ball to make it to the playoff.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno, but I tend to believe the defense played well in the first half and by the second half they were on the field so much they were gased, especially since this was the season opener and conditioning was an issue because of limited playing time in preseason. BTW, Cushing looked good,
had a favorable NFL debut.
The only TD they gave up before halftime was a busted play because we had a rookie in for a regular starter in the D-backfield.
The problem was on the offensive side of the ball and the coaching staffs puzzling lack of readiness/preperation agasint the 3-4, especially with Schaubs injury and therefor inabilty to have any mobility ? If they insisted on starting Schaub, why on earth didn't they make a change at the half after
discovering his ineffectiveness ?
The offense (coaching) probably deserves most of the blame, but I'm not going to excuse the defense's inability to get off the field on 3rd down. The Jets had a 55% conversion rate and posted ridiculous yeards on 3rd downs. That's unacceptable, we sucked in all phases.
Old 09-14-2009   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, clearly.

It was an embarrassing loss, but to say any hope of playoffs is over is kinda ridiculous. Do I think we're going to the playoffs? Doubtful
houtex, i am not saying they can't make the playoffs, i am just saying that all the talk we have heard about playoffs is over for the near future. if they rattle off a bunch of wins, they could hear the P word again but for now that type of talk is over.

obviously many teams have gone 0-1 and made the playoffs. i do understand that.

hopefully they can turn it around against our natural rivals next week in Tennessee
Old 09-14-2009   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, if fixable means better than yesterday. If the fix is better than last year, I don't know.

The offense and personnel aren't much different from last year, so I expect marked improvement immediately. Well, maybe after the Titans D goes off on them.

I thought the defense showed stretches that exceeded my expectations. I don't know at this point whether that can be expanded and maintained. It has too many glaring weaknesses that will be exploited by someone who can use past game film to game plan.

As far as coaching, they have ample opportunities to get better just by correcting mistakes. I don't know if they are capable of doing that, since many of these mistakes are recurring themes. if this staff is capable of fixing them, why haven't they been fixed before? This same factor of long lingering problems also makes me question the ability of the coached to not only correct mistakes, but take the next (big) step of exploiting other teams weaknesses and becoming difference makers in the games themselves.

The front office has lost much of it's good reputation for finding good free agents to fill needs, so I don't think it will help much this year. The draft will probably be average next year, and I expect more turmoil between it and the players.

So, I think they'll rise to the level of average. I'm not confident about anything much higher.
Old 09-14-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure you guys have seen my posts about "patterns," which I adopted from swt and one or two other posters yesterday. But I think it's true.

This team has a slow start, then tries to recover the rest of the season.

It's habitual. It's consistent. It's a pattern.

So at this point, I'm uncomfortable NOT because we lost the Jets game. I am uncomfortable because of the trend and what it means for the next three games.

Someone, or someTHING, is causing this team to not gear up at the end of preseason. And we get smashed in the mouth on opening day, and it continues until the players and coaches finally decide that they'd like to start playing focused football.

How does that get changed? It doesn't. Because THAT is the climate: A failure to stop a runaway train and say "No more."

IF Kubiak could do something, he could start by creating an opening drive that focused primarily upon AJ and OD getting balls thrown their way. We usually have a very good opening drive, so what happened to it in the Jets game?

IF Kubiak could do something, he could maybe throw James Casey into the slot (surely he isn't on the PS, right?) instead of Andre Davis. Kubiak could throw Jacoby out there a little. But it was like Kubiak just tried a WR set that was all jacked up and ineffective. If Kevin Walter is THAT vital, then put a possession-type guy in his spot (James Casey for example).

IF the players could man up and start chewing on each other a little, that'd be great. But nobody could do it, I suppose, because they ALL kinda' stunk it up and it's like "You're going to point the finger at ME? Look at you!"

Even DeMeco mad e a very unwise decision right before the half. I mean, was he FOR REAL with the taunt? Uh, 'Meco check this out: You guys are getting o-w-n-e-d by a rookie coach and rookie QB in your own house on opening day. You probably should go grab one of our own DBs (who can't wrap up) and do the taunting to one of those guys. Make people on your side of the ball be accountable, and don't be afraid to pressure them out there on the field.

I would also, and YES I really mean this, cut Dunta Robinson immediately. Of course, this should have been done BEFOREHAND...so I doubt we can do that without having to pay for it. Not sure on the contract stipulations for payment, though. He should not have been on this team, and his actions after the game are very poisoinous and are only hurting this team.

I liked the defense, despite the long TD runs. If we could get two interior dlinemen who are gap-pluggers like what they have in Minnesota, and a true safety, then I think the defense and this style would be awesome.

This team starts slow, and I am worried that it's just the way it is with a Gary Kubiak coached team. We can't start 0-4 or 1-3 and even 2-2 is worrisome in the AFC South and in the AFC in general.
Old 09-14-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1. the game plan has to adjust more fluid to whats happening in games. Seems like the Texans always try to stick with the orginal game plan regardless of effectiveness.

2. Dunta needs to be benched, maybe released?

3. Bush has got to come up with a defensive combination up front that's more disruptive. If that means starting Connor Barwin @ RDE, Mario @ LDE kick Antonio Smith inside in rotation with Amobi, Okoye, Cody & Robinson then so be it, move on.

4. Ferguson should never play CB. Go with Quinn, Molden, McCain rotation until Reeves returns.

5. Need two TE sets to support edge (Brown) so the inside guards/center are not so isolated. Is Hill injured? must keep Schaub upright to regain his confidence.

those are just a few things they might try? didn't expect to be talking about this week one, don't think the Texans are as good as hoped & the Jets are better than we thought. The combination of the two was devastating
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

You asked if the 2009 Texans are fixable?

The answer is no. They are not.

The offensive line (you know, that same offensive line that played last season) got thrown around like rag dolls, especially Pitts and Myers. What's to prevent them from getting thrown around next week, or the week after that, or the week after that? Better scheming, better preparedness, better coaching? You could do all those things, and you're still going to get thrown around like a rag doll.

Same way with the defensive line. Did the front four get any pressure on the QB yesterday? I'm talking about the front four. Leave the fancy exotic blitzing schemes out of this, that's another story. They gave a rookie QB all day to throw the ball. Do you actually think the front four is going to all of sudden get pressure on the QB next week, or the week after that, or the weekafter that? They are not physically capable of doing it. You could come up with some kind of fancy blitzing scheme that might hide that weakness, but that weakness will still be there, to be exploited.

You cannot fix a team during the current season that can't win the battle in the trenches. It all starts up front. That is as fundamental as you could possibly get.

That is what was so disheartening about yesterday's game. They got manhandled up front, on boh sides of the line.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Other than the patriots and the dolphins, no team has ever gone undefeated. Every team loses an embarassing game once in a while. Its the nature of the NFL. Sometimes you come across a gameplan you simply cannot handle effectively and your team loses horribly because of it. It happens to every team.

We've lost 1 game. This messageboard gets pretty exhausting when everyone gives up after 1 game. There is a lot of reason to be concerned, but I doubt we'll see this team just roll over and go 0-16

Are they fixable? Yeah
Old 09-14-2009   #17
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we can count on Schaub getting fixed. The next good game he has in a season opener will be his first.

In 2001, he started his first collegiate game as a sophomore at Wisconsin and went 3-for-10 with 2 picks where he drilled the defenders square in the numbers with the ball. The guy looked utterly hopeless.

In 2002 (his breakout year), he was boo'd in Charlottesville for his poor play against Colorado State as UVA lost. He was benched after that game but earned his job back the next week.

In 2003, he separated his right shoulder in his first series against Duke. He missed the next two games.

Dogfighter was obviously the man in Atlanta, so Matt's next season-opening game was for us.

2007 against KC. Yes, we won and everyone got excited, but the offense only put up only 13 points on a bad defense (that was missing Jared Allen because of a suspension), and the lone offensive TD was because Herm Edwards thought it would be a good idea to cover AJ with a safety. Not a terrible game for Schaub, but not one for the time capsule, either.

2008 at Pittsburgh. Just a stink-bomb of a game; worse than yesterday as Schaub threw some early picks that contributed to the rout.

Then yesterday. Clearly, we had a terrible time blocking on the interior and picking up the Jets' exotic blitzes, but Schaub just wasn't very good, either.

So why has he been so awful in his season-openers? I don't know, but it is clearly a trend with him. He's always rebounded nicely from his worst openers, so hopefully that trend continues this year, too. It had better, or else there will be a large number of "Help Wanted" signs going up on Kirby and Main pretty soon.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1. the game plan has to adjust more fluid to whats happening in games. Seems like the Texans always try to stick with the orginal game plan regardless of effectiveness.

2. Dunta needs to be benched, maybe released?

3. Bush has got to come up with a defensive combination up front that's more disruptive. If that means starting Connor Barwin @ RDE, Mario @ LDE kick Antonio Smith inside in rotation with Amobi, Okoye, Cody & Robinson then so be it, move on.

4. Ferguson should never play CB. Go with Quinn, Molden, McCain rotation until Reeves returns.

5. Need two TE sets to support edge (Brown) so the inside guards/center are not so isolated. Is Hill injured? must keep Schaub upright to regain his confidence.

those are just a few things they might try? didn't expect to be talking about this week one, don't think the Texans are as good as hoped & the Jets are better than we thought. The combination of the two was devastating
1. I can agree with this

2. I must have missed something. Other than missing a tackle, what did Dunta do to deserve all the hate? I don't think they even threw his way but a couple times.

3. You start Barwin you become suspect against the run. We need to get off the damn field on 3rd downs.....again.

4. I don't think Ferguson was playing CB. They knew our safties sucked, so they threw at them. Quin and McCain played quite a bit. McCain's the one that busted his coverage on the long TD in the first half.

5. Going big might help a little, but I think it's more than that. It's about pre-snap reads and coaching. When the defense shows a massive overload to one side you'd think we'd audible to a run or quick pass instead of a 7 step drop.

IMO, this loss is on coaching. We saw what they (Ravens D) did last season, yet did nothing to prevent a repeat of last season. Kubiak stated they only spent 1/3 of the time getting ready for their blitzes and the rest was spent on the base 3-4. WTF is up with that? The Ravens ans Jets blitz 90% of the time.

Unacceptable
Old 09-14-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If our dline could get together and have a real come-to-Jesus meeting with one another, led by Mario, and it went like this:

"We are going to take charge now. We're going to commit to doing our part no matter what happens or what the score is. We're going to get in each other's face when we do well, and when we don't. We will commit to playing all out on every snap."

Maybe stuff like this has been happening and I don't know about it.

But I would like to see on unit (the LBers or the Dliners or the DBs) start acting like a group who holds each other accountable.

There are times when I wish Cushing or 'Meco would blindside a DB and form tackle them into the turf. Then stand over them and say "I'm going to come looking for you if you don't start wrapping guys up."

This team has tackling issues. Big time. But we all know it. What's being done about it?
Old 09-14-2009   #20
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure they're fixable by Kubiak's standards....which usually means improved play and some kind of bounce-back after a loss.

This means that they'll probably play tough for the first half against the Titans next week. Then they'll play tough against the weak teams and we'll think everything is okay again until Kubiak gets out-coached again by a good defensive coach.

Then we're back where we started again. It's painfully obvious that the team isn't ready to take the next step.

Another year of mediocre football. For Kubiak homers, I'm sure that's good enough.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read