Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's time to restart this organization

Every year I have the same feeling about our team come opening week. I'm excited, I feel good about our off season, and am optimistic about the regular season. But then after the first quarter something like a cloud creeps over me. This is the Texans. This is what we do. We disappoint. Then, the questions start to appear in my head. Is it possible that we really haven't improved, or worse we have gone backwards? Are we really going to be this bad once again? Why is their no passion on our sideline? How stupid was I to be so optimistic?

I've come to expect this type of performance from the Texans. On the surface I may be excited and optimistic, but deep down I am nervous. It may take a quarter to realize it but it has been there all along. Deep down I have no confidence in the team. Its worse than a lack of confidence its an expectation of failure.

This is what has happened after 7 seasons. We as Texans fans, well most of us I would presume, have no confidence in our team. We hold on to this hope that something or someone has changed the attitude of the organization. But its the same old Texans.

What do we do? I think it is time to completely restart the building process of this team. From cheering on first downs when we are losing by 17, to a completely different attitude and passion on the field. It has failed ladies and gentleman. The happy-go-lucky nice guy football team approach has failed.

As Lucky has stated in another thread, I think the team would be better served if we were to fire everyone and start from step 1. Holding onto this failing approach to a franchise is only building our reputation as a joke.

We all want an identity right? Well we are earning one, and that is one of a joke. This is who we are to the average fan, shit to ourselves even. We may have been a trendy pick before the season, but check back in week 4 and we will be back to the lower fourth of the league in predictions.

I know the idea of rebuilding is horrible, as we seem to have already done it too many times in 7 years, but it has to happen if we want to change this football team.

I'm not looking for us to fire Kubiak tomorrow, but in my mind it should happen at the end of the year. Along with him needs to be his entire staff, general manager included (Rick Smith is a unproven Kubiak guy through and through). Everyone needs to go.

After that McNair needs to look hard, with his wallet completely exposed, for a Bill Parcells type that can build this organization all the way around. A proven guy that has been around the NFL and understands what it takes. I don't have an idea who that is, but if I am McNair right now that is my job.

I'll be happy with any type of winner, but personally I like the style of football that the Giants play. Tough defense, with an offensive line that just mauls teams and wears them down. I'd like to see a tough team. A power football team.

My predictions of this year are bad. After the nasty trends I've seen over the preseason, this past game, and the past 3 years, frankly have me looking at a 6 win season.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's time to restart this organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Every year I have the same feeling about our team come opening week. I'm excited, I feel good about our off season, and am optimistic about the regular season. But then after the first quarter something like a cloud creeps over me. This is the Texans. This is what we do. We disappoint. Then, the questions start to appear in my head. Is it possible that we really haven't improved, or worse we have gone backwards? Are we really going to be this bad once again? Why is their no passion on our sideline? How stupid was I to be so optimistic?

I've come to expect this type of performance from the Texans. On the surface I may be excited and optimistic, but deep down I am nervous. It may take a quarter to realize it but it has been there all along. Deep down I have no confidence in the team. Its worse than a lack of confidence its an expectation of failure.

This is what has happened after 7 seasons. We as Texans fans, well most of us I would presume, have no confidence in our team. We hold on to this hope that something or someone has changed the attitude of the organization. But its the same old Texans.

What do we do? I think it is time to completely restart the building process of this team. From cheering on first downs when we are losing by 17, to a completely different attitude and passion on the field. It has failed ladies and gentleman. The happy-go-lucky nice guy football team approach has failed.

As Lucky has stated in another thread, I think the team would be better served if we were to fire everyone and start from step 1. Holding onto this failing approach to a franchise is only building our reputation as a joke.

We all want an identity right? Well we are earning one, and that is one of a joke. This is who we are to the average fan, shit to ourselves even. We may have been a trendy pick before the season, but check back in week 4 and we will be back to the lower fourth of the league in predictions.

I know the idea of rebuilding is horrible, as we seem to have already done it too many times in 7 years, but it has to happen if we want to change this football team.

I'm not looking for us to fire Kubiak tomorrow, but in my mind it should happen at the end of the year. Along with him needs to be his entire staff, general manager included (Rick Smith is a unproven Kubiak guy through and through). Everyone needs to go.

After that McNair needs to look hard, with his wallet completely exposed, for a Bill Parcells type that can build this organization all the way around. A proven guy that has been around the NFL and understands what it takes. I don't have an idea who that is, but if I am McNair right now that is my job.

I'll be happy with any type of winner, but personally I like the style of football that the Giants play. Tough defense, with an offensive line that just mauls teams and wears them down. I'd like to see a tough team. A power football team.

My predictions of this year are bad. After the nasty trends I've seen over the preseason, this past game, and the past 3 years, frankly have me looking at a 6 win season.
Regardless we're just a few pieces away in my opinion.

A new coaching regime would be good, but I've felt that way since the end of year one, so that's nothing new for me.

I don't want to scrap the whole team though. We have quite a few good players on this team now, and I'd hate to blow the entire thing up.

We'll need a new QB though, that's for sure. Schaub will never stay healthy.

This team just needs to continue to build around it's defense.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

A new coaching regime would be good, but I've felt that way since the end of year one, so that's nothing new for me.

I don't want to scrap the whole team though. We have quite a few good players on this team now, and I'd hate to blow the entire thing up.

I don't think we need to get rid of all the players, it is the coaches, the general manager, and whoever it is that makes the gameday experience decisions.

Going to a Texans football game when we are losing big has a horrifying kiddy, Disneyland, mindless cheerleader feel to it. I feel like I'm at a professional pee-wee football game. It's way too kiddy. I don't get the "we must protect this house" feel when I go. How ironic that they play that over the speakers constantly. Then after that blairs over the speakers, the very next minute you have a few Texans on the big screen pleading for us to remain nice and civil. It just doesn't feel like a football game, it feels like an amusement park.(/end rant)

We have talented players and that's part of the problem. We shouldn't look this terrible, but we do.
Old 09-14-2009   #4
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

- we need a offensive line.
- we need a QB
- we need a blitz package that everyone in the stadium doesn't know is coming.
- the only place we are really well off is WR & LB.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:

I couldn't have said it any better, you want to believe but then deep down you know. it's like my fantasy league.. I have Sanchez and ultimately started him cause I knew deep down that our defense was going to be suspect today. I won and loss today, and I would have rather lost at fantasy football than the Texans..

Did anyone else notice the interviews today on expectations of the season, only one person had lofty goals. Demeco Ryans, SB and nothing else short of it.. That's the attitude we need, not another "This one is on me" excuses, or people asking for pay raises on their shoes even though they aren't a top 5 position player..
Old 09-14-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We were just beat by a franchise that went 4-12 then 9-7, in the last two seasons....then they fired their coach. They don't appear to be going backwards. A team doesn't have to "rebuild" when they fire their coach. We just get used to these decade long rebuilding plans as if they were common around the league.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #7
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We were just beat by a franchise that went 4-12 then 9-7, in the last two seasons....then they fired their coach. They don't appear to be going backwards.
Exactly, with a majority of the same players.. Green Bay is the same way, the funny thing is their defense tonight looked really good. Don Capers.. how did that happen
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand1 View Post
Exactly, with a majority of the same players.. Green Bay is the same way, the funny thing is their defense tonight looked really good. Don Capers.. how did that happen
Some coaches are just better off being coordinators while others are great coaches as well. Every great coordinator is not always going to be a great HC. That's why I never understood why so many people were so willing to believe in Kubiak when he had never proven anything especially after what Capers had done with this franchise. Capers has always known defense though, he just didn't do well with the defense here while being the HC.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
We were just beat by a franchise that went 4-12 then 9-7, in the last two seasons....then they fired their coach. They don't appear to be going backwards. A team doesn't have to "rebuild" when they fire their coach. We just get used to these decade long rebuilding plans as if they were common around the league.
Well the only coach I have real confidence in is Alex Gibbs and he probably won't want to stay after Kubiak leaves.

I'm not a big fan on Rick Smith, I think he is highly overrated. He seems to have pissed off some of our GOOD vets (Owen and DeMeco), his drafts aren't what people hype them up as, and he is a Kubiak guy.

I'd like to see our gameday experience toughened up and directed more for adults as I was saying before. I've never been to a stadium that gave out nearly the kiddy, cheer even when we are getting our ass kicked feel that Reliant does.

I see doing all that as a rebuild.

Yall might not agree with me about the gameday stadium experience but it always seems to leave an impression on me when I go.
Old 09-14-2009   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd like to see our gameday experience toughened up and directed more for adults as I was saying before. I've never been to a stadium that gave out nearly the kiddy, cheer even when we are getting our ass kicked feel that Reliant does.

I see doing all that as a rebuild.

Yall might not agree with me about the gameday stadium experience but it always seems to leave an impression on me when I go.
Then you'd better buy the team.
McNair wants clean cut team and a family-friendly gameday experience.
As long as he's the owner, that won't change.
Ever.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't have a problem with most of our players. Its not really about our players, except for a few. But as I said before I'd like more of a power football team, so I do agree we need to do something about our line play.
In Bumphillipspeak: We need guys who can push people around and guys who can't get pushed around so easily.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #12
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:

I like where you are going with this. I know it has already been posted, but I would like to see really big strong guys on both O-Line and D-line. Big Bruisers that dominate and eat QB's and running backs for lunch on The d-line. And Road Graders that can move d-lines backward three yards each play on the O-line. I want a really good QB who can read defenses and call audibles, and who is durable. i want a strong quick running back with good vision who can see the whole that is there and get thru it quickly and with power when need be. I want a coaching staff who can build a game plan based on what the other team actually does and who can also make adjustments as the game goes on. I want defensive backs that can actually cover receivers and make tackles...Lock-up guys. I want coaches who don't mind getting in some guys face if he isn't playing up to expectations. I want a Gm who understands that the future is NOW and projects are for after we have a solid team, and then not as starters.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read