Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-14-2009   #41
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Its time for McNair to give up day-to-day control of team to his sons

I don't mind when the owner gets called out because the owner sets a standard. If Carr gets an extension and coaches stay a few extra years because they are good people then there is a "soft" mentality regarding failure. I'm not saying people should get canned like George of the Yankees used to but I think the accountability has to be there if you see year after year of the same stuff.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-14-2009 at 01:32 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #42
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Its time for McNair to give up day-to-day control of team to his sons

Dear Bob,
I need to know one thing...I need to know that you're going to make the appropriate changes right now that's going to let the fans know that you're doing everything you can to ensure that the piss poor performance we witnessed on Sunday will not happen again this year. The team had no fight, no will, no toughness to speak of.

Bob, I drove to the game from San Antonio at 5 in the morning to make sure I could make it on time to tailgate. Bob, there's no legitimate place here in San Antonio to get Texans gear so when I get inside Reliant I go straight to the Go Texan store and buy an $85 Mario Williams replica jersey in Liberty White so I can participate in the Liberty White kickoff (by the way, thanks for the $10 off for the gameday special).

Bob, after witnessing that crap of a performance, I get in my Jeep and drive straight back to San Antonio. Pissed, upset and instead of being on an emotional high I'm starting to feel really tired. Boy was that a long drive. I get home and read the reviews and it's exactly how it looked on the field. We got our arse kicked.

Bob, I need you to lay the smack-down on Kubiak, the players and whomever else you see fit. Please let us know that we have a fighting chance against the Titans this week. The next time I go to Reliant, I need to know that your organization is not stealing my hard earned money. I feel pretty violated even today. I can't imagine how your season ticket fanbase feels.

Rick

Last edited by BSofA04; 09-14-2009 at 01:37 PM.
BSofA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
You're mad and gosh dangit, you want the Owner to make a scene and look mad too. I understand the frustration. I'm not happy with the results we've gotten, but I like our Owner.
I sorta' grasp what you're saying.

But then I read that you "like" the owner.

"Liking" is really a marginalized word at this point, IMO. It's out on the outer fringes of the spectrum of words we could use to describe our emotions for the past 7 years of "Pro Football" being brought back to Houston.

The season is too short, and the off-season too long, and players' careers too short and precious to "like" this owner right now.

Sad thing is this: Even if he DID can Kubiak at mid-season, or at the end of the season, it isn't going to do anything but start another rebuilding process as most players and coaches are here on the Denver Lite system.

Four more years of stumbling football. This has the feeling of an election cycle with the same results getting achieved by different candidates.
Old 09-14-2009   #44
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll put it like this:

Yesterday I was PISSED! I was screaming and cussing at the tv, blood pressure through the roof, and very disappointed by the effort I saw on the field. I actually quit watching the game with 2 minutes left on the clock in the 4th quarter and went and mowed my lawn.....although I threatened to quit watching it a half dozen times or so. I was alternating mowing and sitting in the truck, listening to the after game show on 610. Finally I had to quit listening because I was getting bent out of shape again. The only solice I have in this whole thing is that it's week 1. There are 32 teams and half of them lost yesterday. So, us along with 15 other teams are 0-1 and only 1 game out of being tied for first in the division. That's the good news, the bad news is not knowing how we are going to bounce back from that humiliating loss. I really think I could handle a loss, but the way we lost and how we played is depressing. Waiting 6 months to see that product is depressing. You dress up a turd, but it's still a turd. We friends, are a turd........and apparently wearing a pink bow and a dress by the "soft" comments being made about our organization.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #45
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like everyone thinks it's great when the owner "lets the coach/GM do his job," but McNair does it to a fault.

For instance, he should have given Kubiak a list of guys to interview for the vacant DC job last offseason.

He should look at Robert Kraft as an example. He's not a total control freak, but he exerts a certain amount of organizational control. If a guy isn't getting it done, he fires them. When a guy shows that he's effective, then Kraft gets out of the way.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #46
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way McNair stays uninvolved. Would you rather have Jerry Jones?
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #47
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
Wasn't Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator with New Orleans(and the guy whose defense shut us down in preseason) available when we knew we were going to be interviewing for a new DC? Might he not have done the same thing in Houston that he looks like he has done for the Saints?
What? Give up 27 points to the Lions? Imagine how many points he would have given up to the Jets. That's with the Saints offense dominating instead of sucking. The Lions had 23 minutes with the ball and still out scored the Jets who had 38 minutes with the ball. The offense was the one who didn't show up yesterday for the Texans. Those 3 and outs for the offense will kill a defense.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2009   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I like the way McNair stays uninvolved. Would you rather have Jerry Jones?
No, I want to remain in the cellar of the AFC South with no hope of even sniffing the playoffs. I wouldn't want to be in the hunt for the division or a wild card spot every year. Being mathematically eliminated by October is fun.

No, I don't want to see my team on local TV for every game of the year (guaranteed, no matter our record). I enjoy having to pay for Sunday Ticket in order to guarantee that I see my team each week.

No, I don't want Super Bowls like Jerry earned with Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. That would be absurd.

No back to the main topic: Why do we need to throw up Jerry Jones and Al Davis and Daniel Snyder every time we debate the merits of Bob McNair. I would expect McNair to be more like the Rooney family, or Kraft in New England. Those guys DO flex some muscle, but choose wisely when and how to do it. They are involved.

McNair seemingly treats this team like a hobby. Like a racehorse he visits on race day.

And the "He brought NFL football back to Houston" gig is growing weak, IMO. Congrats, Bob. Now roll up your sleeves, open your checkbook a bit more, and get this train out of the station please.

I am really cool with what we have. It's cozy and fuzzy and cute.

Last edited by GP; 09-14-2009 at 04:36 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #49
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
No, I want to remain in the cellar of the AFC South with no hope of even sniffing the playoffs. I wouldn't want to be in the hunt for the division or a wild card spot every year. Being mathematically eliminated by October is fun.
just to clarify, it has been 4,700+ days since the Cowboys last won a playoff game.
Old 09-14-2009   #50
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
just to clarify, it has been 4,700+ days since the Cowboys last won a playoff game.
But they've been there.

And as much as we gloat in the fact that they haven't won a playoff game...it still remains that they tend to get near it more than we do.

That's just how it is.

A Romo fumble on the extra point attempt kept them from going far one year.

They are at least still in contention each year.

We're so far away we need the Hubble telescope to see the playoffs.
Old 09-14-2009   #51
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
That was in response to the OP - a more 'proactive' owner.

We'll have to agree to disagree. McNair has hired GM's and coaches with pedigrees, histories of success. Then he's largely stayed the hell out of the way and let them do their job. That's how I like my Owner, especially when they have no personal experience in football. Of course he's made mistakes, but I prefer he shows patience over capricious decision making made to appease all the armchair QB's. If you want an owner that likes to turnover his staff with the seasons there's this team in Oakland you should check out.
I'm not asking for Al Davis or Dan Snyder. Not every fan that complains about Mr McNair being the NFL equivilant to Mister Magoo wants us to get an owner who's a maniac like Al or a petulant child like Dan. Some of us would settle for a little get off the damn couch every now and then.

Pro tip for you: "Seasons" come every year. Bob appears to poke his head into the operation about once every four years.
Old 09-14-2009   #52
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm not asking for Al Davis or Dan Snyder. Not every fan that complains about Mr McNair being the NFL equivilant to Mister Magoo wants us to get an owner who's a maniac like Al or a petulant child like Dan. Some of us would settle for a little get off the damn couch every now and then.

Pro tip for you: "Seasons" come every year. Bob appears to poke his head into the operation about once every four years.
Guess I can reiterate some more. Yea, he could do better. There are much worse. Yea, I'm still happy he's our owner.

If that's a pro tip, I'd hate to see your amateur stuff.

Last edited by Fox; 09-14-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read