Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Why aren't we playing more 5 WR sets?

1st let me say that we rarely keep both backs in to block. We rarely keep both tightends to block.

The strength of this offense is our WRs, but we keep them on the bench.

Why?
Old 09-13-2009   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why aren't we playing more 5 WR sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
1st let me say that we rarely keep both backs in to block. We rarely keep both tightends to block.

The strength of this offense is our WRs, but we keep them on the bench.

Why?
Because Gary Kubiak believes it all should start with our running game. In fact, here's today's postgame quote from Kubiak on the issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kubiak
Running the ball, throwing the ball. Our football team can't afford for the Houston Texans to go out there and three to one throw the football. That's what we were in those two preseason games. That's where my concern comes from and this one ends up no different. This team has got to find a way to run the football and be committed to running the football."
per HoustonTexans.com via quotes.

I don't really understand it much either. I'd stay with what's working. Some days that's going to be our running game and others that's going to be our passing. I'm with you... our vertical game is a strength.
Old 09-13-2009   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiac is a hard-headed SOB! JMO! Gotta do it his way, regardless of the fact we're getting out butts handed to us! I like the fact that he's a hometown boy, and wanted him to do well for us, BUT, right now, I wish he was back in Denver and Cowher was heading our team. We need a HC with some friggin GUTS!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

5 WR sets? Schaub wouldve been killed.

When the Jets noticed we were going to blitz, they kept a simple offensive formation and split both backs around the QB to help pickup the blitzes. This gave the WRs plenty of time to get open and let Sanchez find plenty of time to pick up the right read.

A totally spread offensive set would give Schaub about 0.5s to get the ball out, and in that amount of time, theres no way 5 guys could spread out on the field and so the benefit (lots of targets) would be negated (they are too close together).

The best way to beat a team like the Jets that blitz on every play is to see what their coach does when you blitz them. He knows how to defend a blitz, because he's to gameplanning against it. We just couldn't figure out how to give Schaub more time
Old 09-14-2009   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Kubiac is a hard-headed SOB!
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
5 WR sets? Schaub wouldve been killed.
In my first post, I noted that we don't keep both TEs in to block, and we don't keep both backs in to block. Might as well have a single back. You don't have to wait for your receivers to get out of the backfield.. they're already out.

Another way you can handle the blitz... you could do like Peyton does. Know where it's coming from, and tell your receiver to be there..... quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Because Gary Kubiak believes it all should start with our running game. In fact, here's today's postgame quote from Kubiak on the issue...
That's not why we lost those games. We lost the Saints game, and this game, because we were trying to force the run game, and waited too long to start throwing the ball. Then, we never aired it out in this game......

I heard him say that crap on the radio, and I really got ticked off. That's when the "Fire Kubiak" stuff just started to roll off my back.

We lost New Orleans because we threw the ball too much? Bull. We lost that game, because our defense was a seive, and he pulled the starters after the first quarter.

Seriously, if that's why he thinks we lost the preseason games... & then we look like we did today...

makes me wonder WTF he's looking at those pre-season games for at all?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read