Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton's extra weight

Carr Bombed, myself, and a few others discussed this after the 3rd pre season game, and apparently some of the staff has noticed the same thing which may have caused them to get a tad bit worried as well. Here is a little report that came from my Yahoo Fantasy envelope on Yahoo that states the exact same thing a few of us were saying like two weeks ago.

"RB Steve Slaton has the Texans a bit nervous entering the opener. He hit the weight room in the offseason -- not the banquet table -- and increased his weight to 215 when he reported to camp from his college weight of around 195. He wanted the extra weight and extra strength to help him withstand punishment from tacklers and to benefit his blocking. Slaton didn't play a lot in preseason, and what he did wasn't impressive. He carried 22 times for 64 yards. He averaged 2.9 yards a carry. His long run was nine yards. The Texans open against the Jets, who had a stout run defense before Rex Ryan was hired from Baltimore, where he had a defense that was suffocating against the run."
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton's extra weight

His preseason was a bit worrisome, and I've expressed worry in his weight gain since the first report came out about it. But, the preseason is no measure for that. It takes a number of carries for Slaton to be effective in a game. As the game wears on, he wears on the defense, causes them to guess more, and opens up the possibility for big plays. With the limited touches and toned done scheme of the preseason you're not going to get him in his true form.

That's not to say that the weight gain isn't an issue, but the preseason isn't the right time to draw a conclusion on whether it is.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #3
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

It might be an issue when Brwon looked better than Slaton in pre-season. I think he looked fat and slow.
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully, his 10% weight gain will not translate into a 10% decrease in production.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #5
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

I think throughout history most of the elite backs performed around 205.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm worried not only as a Texan fan but as a fantasy owner as well. I didn't see that burst in him at all in pre season.
Old 09-11-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not worried. Sometimes running backs need time to get it going. The only time he got more than 5 carries in a game was against the Vikings, one of the top running teams last year. Add to that we were starting 2 non-starters on our OL, and I think we need to wait until the first couple games to see if it is really something to be concerned with
Old 09-11-2009   #8
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the Texan's history, "don't worry it's only pre-season" is not a valid argument anymore. I hope he lights it up Sunday, but I'm not expecting it. We also don't have the luxury of waiting a couple of games. The time to attack is now.
MightyTExan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #9
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried. The pass opens the run for us and we were without Pitts and Myers for most of the preseason.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

One more thing:

I checked the stats of the 2 rushing leaders for their respective conferences: Adrian Peterson (NFC) and Thomas Jones (AFC)
Peterson's preseason stats from 2008: 20 carries, 51 yards (2.55 ypc)
He had 1750 yards (4.8 ypc) in the regular season

Jones' preseason stats from 2008: 12 carries, 29 yards (2.4 ypc)
He had 1310 yards on 290 carries (4.5 ypc) that year
Old 09-11-2009   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Im not worried. Sometimes running backs need time to get it going. The only time he got more than 5 carries in a game was against the Vikings, one of the top running teams last year. Add to that we were starting 2 non-starters on our OL, and I think we need to wait until the first couple games to see if it is really something to be concerned with
Exactly. I'm sure it happens everywhere but I don't think there is any fan base in the world that can push the panic button as fast as us Houston fans.

Look if it works out for Slaton, great. If not, he better stop lifting the weights and get back out on the track.
Old 09-11-2009   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The KC game it was muddy and that took away Slaton's agility which is his greatest weapon.

The NO game he ran well imo and got extra yards where none of our other backs could.

Nobody runs well against MINN.

It was preseason and we were missing 2 starting OL for the bulk of it. I wouldn't be too worried about it, as quick as he packed on the extra weight I dont think he can sustain it throughout an NFL season. I think he'll naturally lose the weight while maintaining extra strength from his offseason workouts and get down to about 200-205 around midseason. We should see a RB who can push the pile a bit better while also maintaining his trademark explosiveness in space.
Old 09-11-2009   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Exactly. I'm sure it happens everywhere but I don't think there is any fan base in the world that can push the panic button as fast as us Houston fans.

Look if it works out for Slaton, great. If not, he better stop lifting the weights and get back out on the track.
Well a lot of us are quick to push the panic button because we haven't had any real level of success yet, and we're still one injury away from having our season go down the drain. We still aren't that deep enough of a team or balanced of a team to where if a player like Slaton or Johnson had a bad year we'd still be a real good team. We don't have a good enough defense to off set our offense not being that good. Hell we really don't have a good defense at all, so we need the offense to carry this team, and Slaton's a huge part of our offense. Plus, we still have a QB that can't seem to stay on the field either where injury is always a concern with him, so the last thing we want to have to worry about is under achieving at other positions with other star players. We're just not deep enough to where we can't worry about the small things. We haven't had any real success to have that stronger confidence yet.
Old 09-11-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
One more thing:

I checked the stats of the 2 rushing leaders for their respective conferences: Adrian Peterson (NFC) and Thomas Jones (AFC)
Peterson's preseason stats from 2008: 20 carries, 51 yards (2.55 ypc)
He had 1750 yards (4.8 ypc) in the regular season
Did Peterson gain extra weight like Slaton did? I don't think so. And as good as Slaton is, he's nowhere near Adrian Peterson. Plus, we don't have a back up that's a bad ass like Chester Taylor is if Slaton were to get hurt or if Slaton were to under perform. Slaton is all we have and we "need" him to have another season like last year or this team goes nowhere.

Quote:
Jones' preseason stats from 2008: 12 carries, 29 yards (2.4 ypc)
He had 1310 yards on 290 carries (4.5 ypc) that year
Jones had been a proven back for many years. Plus, Washington was right there behind him as well. Again, they have quality depth back there at RB.
Old 09-11-2009   #15
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The only game where Slaton really looked off to me was KC. The field conditions were poor that game, and, even with the extra weight, Slaton is nobody's idea of a "mudder". Fortunately, we'll only have to worry about the field conditions in five games this season (presuming another Ike doesn't blow through here in the next couple of weeks--KNOCK ON WOOD).

I thought Slaton looked really good against the Saints. He had one no-gain run and four other runs of between 6-9 yards. Super Bowl champions are built on seven-yard-runs, so he was about the only starter I was really happy with from that game.

The Williams Wall is best interior D-Line in the NFL, and we faced them with 2/3 of our interior OL out of action. Slaton didn't exactly rip this team up last season, either.

Of course, it could be said that these are really arguments rather than assurances. We just won't know if such worries are justified for another 48 hours.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When there are quite a few doubters and/or worriers, I think I will take that Las Vegas odd of 4-1/2. Even if we only beat the Jets by one point, I will be happy!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #17
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

the the that worries me is Slatons strenth is his quickness to full speed, without that he is another normal RB. He looked a bit sluggish BUTTTTTTT
it was pre season, this weekend we will either be able to kill this thread or could be a 15 page ordeal. I hope he still has it
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

An interesting piece on 200 meter sprinters (not NFL running backs). But some extrapolation could be made. Secret for sprinters told: Get stronger but not heavier

Quote:
If coaches are going to train their sprinters like powerlifters why not start with powerlifters and train them to run faster? If it's just leg strength that makes a sprinter faster, we should recruit super heavyweight powerlifters, work on their turnover rate, throw in some plyometrics, and finish off with some work out of the blocks. It would be easier than the current practice of blowing up a sprinter to look like the Michelin man (with or without drugs).

Sound ridiculous? Of course, but no more so than the current methods of speed training for sports, which entirely misses the key to faster running-- maintaining a delicate balance between strength gain and changes in bodyweight. It is the Holy Grail of sprinting, the most significant aspect to keep in mind when training for speed.

Quote:
More recently and regardless of the method, the focus has been on simply gaining strength to increase stride length. Thankfully, a few hardy souls, led by Harvard Medical School research physiologist Peter Weyand, were ready to challenge the establishment by testing the speed formula.

What they found was the Holy Grail to faster running speed. The old equation was still partially correct, but incomplete. It was missing the most important element - the Bodyweight.

Weyand and his associates proved that simply gaining strength is not enough. Their study showed that the key to faster running was mass-specific force. 'Mass-specific force' is just another way to say that it isn't merely the amount of force applied to the ground that increases stride length; it's the amount of force in relation to bodyweight.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not too worried. Last year Slaton wasn't very consistent either. He's a guy who will run 5 times in a row for one or two yards, then BANG busts one for 20+.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I'm not too worried. Last year Slaton wasn't very consistent either. He's a guy who will run 5 times in a row for one or two yards, then BANG busts one for 20+.
That's what some people are worried about with the extra weight though. With the extra weight will he still be able to bust one for 40 to 60 yards and have that same burst? It's a very legit question right now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read