Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2009   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NY Daily News] This is a Must Win for Sanchez

I guess this seems to me like Sanchez had a Capt. Obvious moment. Until you lock up a playoff spot and home field advantage EVERY game is a must win.

Any team that doesn't have that mindset is headed for Loserville.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Chiefs were on their way down though...I don't think you can say the same for the Jets....or at least (imo), I can't.
As any team Herman Edwards coached.

I agree. Just like Kubiak stated, Ryan inherited a team that is pretty stacked with talented players.

IIRC, Edwards took over a decent team, but screwed up when he began turning their roster over. He ran the team into the ground by going too young, which ended up costing him his job. Plus, he was never a good coach to begin with.
Old 09-10-2009   #23
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is all I was really touching on...

I'm just wondering why this game should be a blow out win for us when this is a team that won 10 games two years ago and 9 games last season. We've never done either and they actually scored more points than they gave up last year, unlike us.
We should be winning all our home games except to the elite teams. Over the last two years there have only been 4 home losses.

2 to Indy. One was a 13-3 team. The other was Rosencopter.
1 to Tennessee. Unacceptable loss.
1 to Baltimore - 11-5, but finished 1st in point differential. And 4 of those losses were to Pittsburgh (2), Indy, and Tennessee.

I wouldn't put the Jets in that category.

Though, I do agree that we don't have the right to think blowout.
noxiousdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #24
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells (Dolphins) and the Falcons did what they did in one year? I'm just saying that I don't see where we are so superior to the Jets that we can just state how much better we are than them.
Didn't Jeff Fisher have like three 8-8 seasons in a row and didn't get into playoffs until year 5? And I think we all know the horror of a roster this regime inherited...not to mention the cap hell this team was in.

Anyway. Definitely a near must win for us with a road game looming @ Tenn week 2.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is all I was really touching on...
I don't really see how the length of time it takes Kubiak to makes the playoffs is a legitimate counterpoint to my inclination that this game is similiar to the 2007 KC game, or that this game should be an easy win for us (blowout is you putting words in my mouth.)

So far as why I think this should be a convincing win for us, I've already stated that, but I'll oblige again;
1. We have a very good home winning record over the past 2 years; especially against non-divisional teams

2. The Jets have a new and unproven HC

3. The Jets have a rookie QB

4. The Jets are implementing a new defensive scheme

5. The latter two points are notoriously slow starters in the NFL. So, even if they are eventually effective, even this season, they should be less so at the beginning of the season.

That's why I think this game should be a convincing win for us.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't really see how the length of time it takes Kubiak to makes the playoffs is a legitimate counterpoint to my inclination that this game is similiar to the 2007 KC game, or that this game should be an easy win for us (blowout is you putting words in my mouth.)

So far as why I think this should be a convincing win for us, I've already stated that, but I'll oblige again;
1. We have a very good home winning record over the past 2 years; especially against non-divisional teams

2. The Jets have a new and unproven HC

3. The Jets have a rookie QB

4. The Jets are implementing a new defensive scheme

5. The latter two points are notoriously slow starters in the NFL. So, even if they are eventually effective, even this season, they should be less so at the beginning of the season.

That's why I think this game should be a convincing win for us.
Still doesn't add up to me and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your POV....I just don't comprehend the logic.

the Jets played a 3-4 for the last 3 seasons right? The Jets have a rookie QB but so did the Falcons and the Ravens last year and they both made the playoffs right? Both teams had new head coaches right? On top of that you can add my meager points about how they had a better record and better scoring differential than we did last season. I just don't see how one an just assume that we should blow them out unless you are pumping sunshine.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #27
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
If Ryan throws at us the same style defense as the Ravens did last year, we'll be in for a very long afternoon. Texans have to bring their "A" game this Sunday. This game is absolutely no cakewalk whatsoever.
That's my big area of concern as well. To be fair wasn't it Sage at QB for that game though? Rex Ryan has a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball in NY. My hope is that they miss Ellis and Pace a lot more than they anticipate, and that Gholston continues his regular season sack-less streak. Schaub will have to be smart with the ball as we can't afford to lose the turnover battle.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2009   #28
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Still doesn't add up to me and I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your POV....I just don't comprehend the logic.

the Jets played a 3-4 for the last 3 seasons right? The Jets have a rookie QB but so did the Falcons and the Ravens last year and they both made the playoffs right? Both teams had new head coaches right? On top of that you can add my meager points about how they had a better record and better scoring differential than we did last season. I just don't see how one an just assume that we should blow them out unless you are pumping sunshine.
I like how anytime you defend the Texans you are automatically lumped into the "sunshine club." Like my argument is devoid of objectivity or reason.

Obviously the Falcons and Ravens of last year are counters to my argument, but they're alse aberrations. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible that the Jets win this game, and I don't think it's impossible that the Jets go on to have a good season.

But, I think the Texans are being sold short here because people are superstitous or are wary of the team because of its history or whatever.

This is simply a game these Texans don't lose. And I don't expect that to be any different here.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like how anytime you defend the Texans you are automatically lumped into the "sunshine club." Like my argument is devoid of objectivity or reason.

Obviously the Falcons and Ravens of last year are counters to my argument, but they're alse aberrations. Like I said, I don't think it's impossible that the Jets win this game, and I don't think it's impossible that the Jets go on to have a good season.

But, I think the Texans are being sold short here because people are superstitous or are wary of the team because of its history or whatever.

This is simply a game these Texans don't lose. And I don't expect that to be any different here.
well, if I was at say the 49ers forum and one of their members stated that they should beat a team with a better record last year soundly and without hesitation, I'd consider him to be giving a homer take. Nothing personal.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #30
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84758 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.
The Jets are NOT a mediocre team.......they have talent everywhere and the only thing that hurt them last season was mediocre (actually horrible) QB play, when Brett Farve fell off a cliff.

If Sanchez (a rookie QB) can play mistake free football and make a decent amount of plays, the Jets have a VERY good chance at winning this game on the road, because of the talent they have on BOTH sides of the ball (especially that running game). Sounds familiar doesn't it, instead of the KC game of 2007.......this sounds more familiar to the Ravens game of 2008....and we all know how that went, so Houston BETTER be ready to play, especially against the run.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-10-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #31
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is Marks gonna have to change his first name to "Dirty" after we get done w him come Sunday!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #32
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans players share this "easy win" view, maybe we fans will be reminded of last year's Raider game.

========

One of the things this team has to learn is the importance of every game, every series, and every snap. It seems they've gone into games expecting wins before and gotten beat. They need to know in their guts every game is going to be a hard fought contest. Until they do, there will always be a high probability of an inexplicable loss or two that tarnish their record.

I know I'm projecting a fan's view to the team, but we've seen it happen before.
Old 09-10-2009   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If the Texans players share this "easy win" view, maybe we fans will be reminded of last year's Raider game.

========

One of the things this team has to learn is the importance of every game, every series, and every snap. It seems they've gone into games expecting wins before and gotten beat. They need to know in their guts every game is going to be a hard fought contest. Until they do, there will always be a high probability of an inexplicable loss or two that tarnish their record.

I know I'm projecting a fan's view to the team, but we've seen it happen before.
What you seem to be failing to grasp is that we have a "cupcake schedule". Big men like football players eat cupcakes in one bite, so this is easily a 15-1 or 16-0 team when you objectively analyze it through the cupcake prism.
Old 09-10-2009   #34
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.
Signed,

Tom Landry in his 7th season.

(Of course he more than made up for the slow start)
Old 09-10-2009   #35
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Man I can't wait to hear the sound of (however many Jets fans there are) jaws hitting the ground if they lose. Good thing being a QB in the NFL isn't hard enough (and that doesn't even begin to go into how GOOD or not he is) now try to appease the assholes that live in New York City and the media circus they run. I must say though, while he gets the sensual massage from ESPN he seems more down-to-earth than say....Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart. Cushing too. Seems like they both buy into working hard and playing well more than riding the wave of cameras to a mediocre legacy.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #36
K.Rhodes25
Rookie

Quote:
This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.
I hope the Texans are coming into this game that cocky, thinking the Jets are a mediocre team....

I have been telling Kerry Rhodes how no one thinks the Jets can win this game, and how everyone thinks Andre Johnson will beast him. I think hes coming into this game with a extra chip on his shoulder.
K.Rhodes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #37
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Rhodes25 View Post
I hope the Texans are coming into this game that cocky, thinking the Jets are a mediocre team....

I have been telling Kerry Rhodes how no one thinks the Jets can win this game, and how everyone thinks Andre Johnson will beast him. I think hes coming into this game with a extra chip on his shoulder.
Kerry Rhodes is a safety, no? Over on the jetsinsider board, Jets fans almost unanimously seem to expect CB Darrelle Revis to single-handedly shut Andre Johnson down using man-to-man coverage. Unless Kerry Rhodes is trying to catch Andre Johnson sprinting through the middle of the field after a catch, I am not sure what chance to best Johnson he might have.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #38
K.Rhodes25
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Kerry Rhodes is a safety, no? Over on the jetsinsider board, Jets fans almost unanimously seem to expect CB Revis to single-handedly shut Andre Johnson down using man-to-man coverage. Unless Kerry Rhodes is trying to catch Andre Johnson sprinting through the middle of the field, I am not sure what chance to best Johnson he might have.
Rhodes will be all over the place, hes going to be a roamer this season. I doubt they single cover Andre Johnson every play.
I'm excited to see what he'll do this year, last season Mangini had Rhodes in prevent all the time. Hes excited to play back at what hes good at, blitzing, jumping routes and being everywhere just a playmaker. No doubt in my mind Rhodes will show that he is a top 3 safety in the NFL.
Old 09-10-2009   #39
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Rhodes25 View Post
Rhodes will be all over the place, hes going to be a roamer this season. I doubt they single cover Andre Johnson every play.
I'm excited to see what he'll do this year, last season Mangini had Rhodes in prevent all the time. Hes excited to play back at what hes good at, blitzing, jumping routes and being everywhere just a playmaker. No doubt in my mind Rhodes will show that he is a top 3 safety in the NFL.
The Texans will frequently use three wide outs, and then of course there is the tight end Own Daniels. So on many plays, there will be four receivers that need to be covered. What will Rhodes do on plays like that? He will man up on someone, right? Or are you saying that the Jets play a lot of zone coverage?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #40
K.Rhodes25
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
The Texans will frequently use three wide outs, and then of course there is the tight end Own Daniels. So on many plays, there will be four receivers that need to be covered. What will Rhodes do on plays like that? He will man up on someone, right? Or are you saying that the Jets play a lot of zone coverage?
I'm not really sure yet with what they'll do as its a new system and they didn't really show much in the preseason, only used 1 coverage scheme. I just know that Rhodes was given a lot of freedom in this defense to make plays. I'm interested to see how this defense does against a very good offense. We have a tough stretch starting off the season, we play you guys then the Patriots so 2 explosive offenses right away. Then the Titans who I am actually not that worried about some reason never worried about the Titans, guess cause their offense doesn't scare me.
Then we play the Saints and their explosive offense... So we play 3 top tier offenses to start the season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read