Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2009   #1
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [NY Daily News] This is a Must Win for Sanchez

Opening Day. New coach. A rookie quarterback. On the road. A must-win.

Quote:
Wait a second...a must-win?

Yep, that's what Mark Sanchez called Sunday's season opener in Houston. This isn't USC anymore, and this isn't the BCS points system. There's no such thing as a must-win in Week 1, but say this for Sanchez: He likes drama and he doesn't seem to mind pressure.

"It's a big first game for this organization, for both sides of the ball, for special teams, for Coach (Rex) Ryan," the Jets' $50 million rookie said Wednesday. "It's his first game. For me, it's my first game in this league. So this is a must-win for us. That's the way we feel. It's going to be like that every week, but this first game you just want to get things started off right."

It has been a long time since a Jets rookie quarterback made a bold statement like that. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since a rookie quarterback actually started for them. The last time it happened was Nov. 13, 1977, when Matt Robinson got the nod against the Seahawks. That was 491 games ago, the league's longest streak without starting a rookie at quarterback.

From all indications, Sanchez was confident and at ease during his first full day of preparation for the Texans. Players said there were some hiccups in practice, but nothing unusual for a Wednesday, typically the sloppiest day because there's so much game-plan installation. By the end of the week, everything should be humming - in theory.

"Guys are going into this game with full confidence that we're going to rally around him, he's going to rally around us and we're going to make the plays we have to," right guard Brandon Moore said. "I'm not even concerned about it. We've got enough people around him to handle the situation and a coordinator who knows how to scheme a game accordingly.

"I'm not going into it like, 'Oh, no, we've got a rookie quarterback, we all need to do a little extra,' " Moore added.

No, but a little extra production would help, especially on defense. The Texans finished third in total offense last season, averaging 382 yards per game. They have outstanding skill-position talent, with wide receiver Andre Johnson, tight end Owen Daniels and running back Steve Slaton.

And they've won 12 of their last 16 home games.

Ryan was asked about facing the potentially dangerous Texans, and he rattled off a few impressive stats on the Houston offense. Then he smiled; it was a "we'll-show-them" smile.
"We're going to find out about (our defense)," said Ryan, who seems to know exactly what to expect.

After a pause, he added, "I think I know where it is. I think everybody will find out next week, on Sunday, just how good this defense is."

That's pretty confident talk from a coach who won't have his top two sackers, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and left end Shaun Ellis, both suspended. Nevertheless, there's an unmistaken air of confidence around the team.

Rookie quarterback? No problem.

"We have to come out and set the tempo for him, not put all the pressure on him," said safety Kerry Rhodes, speaking on behalf of the defense. "He'll have to make some plays eventually, but we want to set the tempo."

Sanchez's nerves will be tested. One player described him as a "jitter bug" on the field, saying he gets too hyped up. Sanchez suspects he'll be more excited than nervous once the game starts.

"It's important to me. I want it to go right," he said. "I want a win."

It's a must-win, after all.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz0QczZ3GFj
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [NY Daily News] This is a Must Win for Sanchez

I'm telling you. This game is not going to be a cakewalk. I think that kid is going to put a good game together and I'm sure the league is getting a semi for him.

We better not be overlooking this team and buying into the media hype that we a potential playoff team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

At least Sanchez isn't whipping out the quote of all quotes. "I don't think this is a must win game, but I do think it's a must play well game". - paraphrasing DC

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It should be a good game and could tell a lot about both teams.

With our historic slow starts of seasons, this is perhaps a "must win" game for us to get a positive start as we head to Tennessee.
Old 09-10-2009   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This game is reminiscent of the KC opener in 2007 to me. KC was coming off a 9-7 playoff campaign and we were 1 season removed from a 2 win season. Everyone was cautiously optimistic and we turned around and stomped the Chiefs.

I get the same vibe with this game; this is our home opener against a mediocre team, there's no reason in the world that we should lose this game, much less it even be close.
pssst...The Jets had a better record than us last season and they managed to score more points than they gave up, unlike a team you are preeeetty familiar with who gave up more points than we scored.

Old 09-10-2009   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
pssst...The Jets had a better record than us last season and they managed to score more points than they gave up, unlike a team you are preeeetty familiar with who gave up more points than we scored.
Just like the 2006 Kansas City Chiefs that his post references.
Old 09-10-2009   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw this being a must win Jets game. I'm not going to say this is a must win game, but I hope the staff is emphasizing that it's an important game to win to start the season strong.

Jets defense under Ryan should be improved but, they'll be missing two pass rushers. We need to take advantage of that in not only the passing game but the rushing game as well.

Defensively, this is game where we should be able to get some pressure on Sanchez and I'll be pissed if we let Sanchez look like a 10 year pro out there like we have let first time starters look before.

Good news is that the Jets don't have a dominate WR corps so hopefully we'll be able to hold their passing game in relative check.

We do need to come laying the wood but, at the same time keep solid on your tackles, wrap up.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They also have a new coach, a rookie QB, and a new defensive scheme; the latter two of which are notoriously slow starters in a season; and are playing against a team that has lost a whopping one game against non-divisional opponents over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that talk of a possible loss is entirely without merit, but I think it's being overblown in the name of caution.
Old 09-10-2009   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Just like the 2006 Kansas City Chiefs he's comparing last year's Jets to.
The Chiefs were on their way down though...I don't think you can say the same for the Jets....or at least (imo), I can't.

Old 09-10-2009   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
They also have a new coach, a rookie QB, and a new defensive scheme; the latter two of which are notoriously slow starters in a season; and are playing against a team that has lost a whopping one game against non-divisional opponents over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that talk of a possible loss is entirely without reason, but I think it's being overblown in the name of caution.
The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells (Dolphins) and the Falcons did what they did in one year? I'm just saying that I don't see where we are so superior to the Jets that we can just state how much better we are than them.

Old 09-10-2009   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The only time a new coach needs a half a decade to get it right is in Houston from what I understand. I wonder how Parcells and the Falcons did what they did in one year?
As if "getting it right" is the same thing as winning the first game of the season on the road against a team who is also "on the way up."

I'm not making any assertions as to how Rex Ryan and the Jets will do on the season, I'm merely saying that all the caution being thrown around here is overzealous, IMO. Also, you'll notice that the "latter two" I was refering to didn't include the coaching change that you're trying to argue.

Given our history at home under Kubiak, and all the fresh changes for the Jets, I don't think this game is such a cause for worry.
Old 09-10-2009   #13
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

I wish I got the same vibe. The pre-season revealed a bad trend that we saw during the tough stretches last year - the team just appears to come out of the gates slow, unmotivated and unprepared. The defense settled down in the Vikes game, but there is no excuse to come out and get slashed on the first play of the game.

I have no idea what to expect. I hope that we come out looking strong and have a series or two to build some confidence. I hope that Dunta and Cushing, despite missing all pre-season, make the defense look better. I hope that the players were in "pre-season" mode and play this game with focus and determination from start to finish. I hope that Kubes has this team ready to play from the first snap.

I hope...but if the pre-season is any indication, we could be in trouble.

BTW - In my mind, this is a "must win" game for the Texans. This organization needs to start this year off with a W...especially at home.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
As if "getting it right" is the same thing as winning the first game of the season on the road against a team who is also "on the way up."

I'm not making any assertions as to how Rex Ryan and the Jets will do on the season, I'm merely saying that all the caution being thrown around here is overzealous, IMO. Also, you'll notice that the "latter two" I was refering to didn't include the coaching change that you're trying to argue.

Given our history at home under Kubiak, and all the fresh changes for the Jets, I don't think this game is such a cause for worry.
Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.

Old 09-10-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting it right means getting into the playoffs before you coach a team half a decade.
Well, I think we are going to "get it right" just under the wire!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So this is a must-win for us. That's the way we feel. It's going to be like that every week
If every game is a must win game, this guy is going to be disappointed. I think he forgets he's not in college anymore. Not too many undefeated nfl teams
Old 09-10-2009   #17
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

If Ryan throws at us the same style defense as the Ravens did last year, we'll be in for a very long afternoon. Texans have to bring their "A" game this Sunday. This game is absolutely no cakewalk whatsoever.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OK, well that's not relevant to anything I've argued.

But, here's to hoping we "get it right."
Old 09-10-2009   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
OK, well that's not relevant to anything I've argued.

But, here's to hoping we "get it right."
This is all I was really touching on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero
I'm just wondering why this game should be a blow out win for us when this is a team that won 10 games two years ago and 9 games last season. We've never done either and they actually scored more points than they gave up last year, unlike us.

Old 09-10-2009   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
how dare you bring up things like facts and trends. aren't you aware that Kubiak is from Houston?

as for the OT - Sanchez is right to say what he is saying. In this league, every win is a must win. You have to get off to a good start and you gotta keep your eyes on the prize. Its a cliche but its the truth. He just probably doesn't need to tell the media that. It puts too much on one game, could be used as locker room material, and doesn't server any team-oriented purpose.

One thing is for sure, if Sanchez comes in and drives the ball down the field against Bush' defense, I will have a sick taste in my mouth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read