Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-10-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "Hot Seat Meter": AFC Coaches

Sporting News presents this evaluation of what AFC coaches should be looking over their shoulders, and which can probably delay looking for a good realtor.

Quote:
AFC South

Gary Kubiak, Texans. The fans expect a first-ever postseason berth. The media expects a first-ever postseason berth. Most importantly, the owner expects a first-ever postseason berth. Absent that first-ever postseason berth, Kubiak could be done.
Hot seat setting: High.

Jim Caldwell, Colts. It's never easy to follow a legend. And there's a real sense of uncertainty and turmoil in Indianapolis. A disastrous season for a franchise that has long forgotten its losing ways could be enough to make Caldwell the next Ray Handley or Richie Petitbon. Still, with Peyton Manning around, it's unlikely that the Colts will fail.
Hot seat setting: Medium.

Jack Del Rio, Jaguars. That five-year extension Del Rio signed after an unexpectedly strong 2007 season saved him from getting fired after last year's collapse. With the team unable to sell tickets in 2009, he'll likely get another pass if the team stinks it up again.
Hot seat setting: Medium.

Jeff Fisher, Titans. Fisher has led the Titans since they were known as the Oilers and played in the Astrodome. But as each year passes without a Super Bowl win, there's a chance that owner Bud Adams will decide it's time for a change. Last year's 13-3 record followed by a one-and-out postseason could make Adams antsy if the team doesn't get closer to that Super Bowl title the team never has won.
Hot seat setting: Medium-low.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #2
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "Hot Seat Meter": AFC Coaches

Unless the Texans have a absolute melt-down without a bunch of injuries, I just don't see McNair letting Kubiak go. He may go into his final year without a contract extension though.....
Old 09-10-2009   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
Unless the Texans have a absolute melt-down without a bunch of injuries, I just don't see McNair letting Kubiak go. He may go into his final year without a contract extension though.....
This is how I see it. I don't even think a third year of 8-8 will be the end of Kubiak, I just think that will make NEXT year the hotseat year.

Oh and if Bud lets Jeff Fisher go I'd be willing to bet he finds a job IMMEDIATELY.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Oh and if Bud lets Jeff Fisher go I'd be willing to bet he finds a job IMMEDIATELY.
let me know who takes that bet, I may have a good investment opportunity for them as well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #5
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the writer understands how deliberate the Texans are in making coaching changes.
Old 09-10-2009   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously the writer did not get the benefit of reading Texans Talk's 100 page thread about this subject.
Old 09-10-2009   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Obviously the writer did not get the benefit of reading Texans Talk's 100 page thread about this subject.
True. He's acting like 8-8 is no better than average.
Old 09-10-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is how I see it. I don't even think a third year of 8-8 will be the end of Kubiak, I just think that will make NEXT year the hotseat year.

If the Texans go 8-8 with this cake schedule, Kubes needs to go. 3 years of 8-8 is unacceptable.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Location: I live in a hole, but stay close to my kind, 'cause they understand what burns in my mind...
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's road record must improve, because he's 2-6 every year that he's been HC.

I'd say that 9-7 or better is a job keeper. I'd probably assume that McNair would keep him with another 8-8 record...but honestly, who knows? We don't have the benefit of history to see how our owner thinks when it's in this gray area.

7-9 or worse...I'd be a bit shocked if Kubiak stayed on, all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
True. He's acting like 8-8 is no better than average.
Geez, I know! He doesn't seem to understand that 8-8 is not a losing record.
Old 09-10-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 222056 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If the Texans go 8-8 with this cake schedule, Kubes needs to go. 3 years of 8-8 is unacceptable.
I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a cupcake schedule. The Texans have the 11th hardest strength of schedule - Link
Old 09-10-2009   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't know where people are getting the idea this is a cupcake schedule. The Texans have the 11th hardest strength of schedule - Link
ah, the dolphins at #1....looking forward to this season
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I agree with this. What gets me about that "experts" opinion, is that he bases his assumption on the Texans getting a play-off berth.

Wasn't there a team that went 11-5 last year but didn't go to the play-offs.
Old 09-10-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Mainly because we play the 13-3 Titans, and the 12-4 Colts twice.

Outside of our division, only 4 out of the 10 games will be played against winning teams. That's six games against teams that finished less than 8-8.

Add two games against the Jags, who also finished less than 8-8, and that's 8 games.

Then there's the game against Miami..... who we think we own. Then the Jets & Arizona who we think we can beat.

that makes 11 games we think we can win.

For some reason, I don't know why, but we always think we can split with the Titans & Colts.

that's 13 games we think we can win.

13-3, losing to the Titans, Colts, and Patriots.
Old 09-10-2009   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
let me know who takes that bet, I may have a good investment opportunity for them as well.
LOL, there are probably ten or more teams not currently contemplating a coaching change that would fire their HC immediately if Fisher was available to them.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read