Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Your concerns heading into the regular season?

I'm not too concerned about Dunta or Reeves having much rust. We are lucky in that our first 4 games we play the Jets, Titans, Jags, and Raiders. 4 teams who are not known for their passing offense.

On that same token we are very unlucky in that we're playing 4 teams who's offensive strength lies in their running game. We caught a break in that Dunta and Reeves will be able to get their legs under them before we have to start playing some good passing offenses like the Cardinals in week 5 but we are very unlucky that our biggest perceived weakness on defense (run defense, particularly up the middle) will be tested in a big way the first 4 games of the season.

We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.
Old 09-09-2009   #2
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your concerns heading into the regular season?

My three biggest concerns are...

1: DL, Can we stop any running at all?

2: RB, will Slaton and co. be able to pick it up from last year?

3: Special Team, JJ on returns, bad coverage...
Old 09-09-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am concerned that our run game isn't going to be what it looked like last year, and Schaub is going to have to drop back so much.

I'm also worried that Mark Sanchez is going to do us like Ryan Leaf did the Oilers back in the day. Come out and have the game of his life. Then get killed the rest of the starting 5 games.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Print out our depth chart and throw a dart at it. Whichever position you hit is a concern for me.
Old 09-09-2009   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: Your concerns heading into the regular season?
Defense, defense and defense. Red Zone offense and did I mention defense?
Old 09-09-2009   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope no more phantom defenders knock Schaub out of the game.

I also hope the O-Line holds up against real defenders.

Still not sold yet on either count.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I hope no more phantom defenders knock Schaub out of the game.

I also hope the O-Line holds up against real defenders.

Still not sold yet on either count.
I was pleasantly suprised how well they defended Schaub vs Minnisota Monday. They held their own against a strong front 4.
Old 09-09-2009   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #9
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I'd say injuries are the main concern. Depth has always been an issue, and how players will step up when called upon.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #10
JimC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respectedJimC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm concerned about the defensive tackles, especially the nose tackle. We need a big, immovable body there to stop runs up the middle.

I'm still concerned about our safeties. They have improved, but we don't have anyone that is a stud who can hold down that position for years.

I'm a little concerned about our offensive line, which has looked average so far. We need an above-average offensive line with a couple of studs on one side that we can consistently run behind, especially in short yardage.

I'm a little concerned about our depth at linebacker. It is a much-improved position, but the loss of June really hurt our depth. His is the one preseason injury that I would really like to undo.

The combination of concerns for our tackles and our linebackers makes me concerned about our run defense. I think we will be fine with our pass defense this year, but I'm concerned about stopping the run up the middle. Whatever it takes, we have got to get that done.

Believe it or not, that is the shortest list of concerns I have ever had for the Texans.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #11
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Here they are in no particular order:

- Cushings ability to stay healthy and adapt to the game on the fly.
- Our ability to stop the run, i.e. interior DT play.
- Schaubs ability to stay healthy, and back up QB if not.
- Shannahans playcalling.
- Interior O-line play.
- Goal line effeciency.
- Ability to win on the road, especially within division.
- Turnover margin.
- Slatons follow up performance from his rookie season at a different weight.
- Can Brown stay healthy.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's health.
Winning on the road.

Those are my two biggest concerns.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm a little concerned about our offensive line, which has looked average so far.
Pitts has been out but he is back now. Myers also was out and has returned.
Old 09-09-2009   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm concerned about my fragile emotional state and ability to handle disappointment again!

I'm concerned that Okoye will receive too many snaps and Deljuan won't receive enough.

I'm concerned about the safety position, particularly SS.

I'm concerned that Casey Studdard will be the first Guard off the bench if someone gets hurt.

I'm concerned that maybe God just doesn't like me enough to allow the Texans to be successful
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't imagine what state the worriers were in at the start of last year!

The Texans brought in a new guy to replace TJ, another one to replace Weaver. That ought to calm a few concerned fans. Actually, to some, the riddance of Weaver and TJ should have done the trick.

They brought in an edge rusher who had shown that he has the capability to do just that. Hey you can say pre-season, but no vet wants to allow a sack by a rookie!

They replace Greenwood with a hardnose LB, a double dose of therapy to some other fans.

They replace the Rosencopter with a couple of QBs, each has the backing of some fans.

Hey, I need to stop here!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Defense, defense and defense. Red Zone offense and did I mention defense?
I thought you were happy enough that Richard Smith is longer here!?!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm concerned about my fragile emotional state and ability to handle disappointment again!

I'm concerned that Okoye will receive too many snaps and Deljuan won't receive enough.

I'm concerned about the safety position, particularly SS.

I'm concerned that Casey Studdard will be the first Guard off the bench if someone gets hurt.

I'm concerned that maybe God just doesn't like me enough to allow the Texans to be successful
I can assure you he doesn't like you. But I don't think it has an effect on how the Texans perform.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm worried that my "playoff mustache" has not given the team Sampson-like powers as it has myself.
Old 09-09-2009   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Print out our depth chart and throw a dart at it. Whichever position you hit is a concern for me.
Yep. I have concerns at every position. I want to be optimistic, but the Texans need to show me something.

QB - Can Schaub stay healthy?
RB - Can the backs get the tough yards?
WR - fewest concerns here, but Walter has a hammy issue, and Andre Davis needs to play like he did two years ago. Also, AJ needs to haul in some more TDs.
TE - Can OD do something in the RZ? Is Hill the answer at blocking TE?
OL - center and right guard

DE - Is Anthony Smith the next Antonio Weaver (yes, I mixed the names)?
DT - Someone plug the middle, please.
LB - Is Cushing ready? Can Diles really be the answer?
CB - Dunta needs to resume his '07 season, Reeves needs to get healthy and play the ball, and Bennett needs to show up again.
S - anyone? Bueller?

Coaches - can Kubiak ever win a challenge? Can the umpteen number of line coaches we have find a way to get our guys to dominate the trenches?
Old 09-09-2009   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaubs durability and the DLines ability to defend against the run.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read