Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2009   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No rust for Robinson in first practice

Some positive flow leading up to Sundays game.

Quote:
"It felt really good, actually; better than I thought my first day running around with a helmet on would be," Robinson said. "I thought I was going to feel a little rusty, but I felt fine. It was a good start."

Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson, happy to once again line up on the opposite side of the field as Robinson, agreed.

"He looked pretty good," Johnson said. "He looked like he's been out there for a while. You can tell he's definitely been doing some football stuff on his own. It's great to have him back out there."
Quote:
"As we get out there and play our first game and continue to play throughout the season, I think that's when you'll realize what kind of defense we are," Robinson said. "But the potential for this defense, the sky is the limit. We've got to stay healthy and we live up to that potential, myself and all the other players on this defense.

"This is the first time I actually looked around and I was like, ‘Wow, I think we've got something here.' Now it's about translating it over to the field."
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No rust for Robinson in first practice

Sunday should be interesting.
Old 09-09-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else feeling like this game may be totally hit or miss? Like we're either going to come out guns blazing and smoke 'em off the field or have another repeat of Steelers game 1 circa 2008?
Old 09-09-2009   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Anyone else feeling like this game may be totally hit or miss? Like we're either going to come out guns blazing and smoke 'em off the field or have another repeat of Steelers game 1 circa 2008?
I have no idea how this game is going to go. Unfortunately, that is within the context of two teams who have no identity and are mediocre with aspirations.
Old 09-09-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

cb's are on islands most of the time anyway...so I don't think missing camp is going to hurt him too much. Glad to see he is excited. An excited Dunta is a slobberknocker waiting to happen. I know it sure makes my game day better when I see him take out a FB or makes a wr blow a snot bubble. Pound for pound he is the biggest hitter on this team and I'm pretty darn happy I get to see him play this weekend.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Sunday should be interesting.
Indeed. Its a MUST win for this team. We cannot afford to be 0-1 going into Tenn week 2. If we can get a win this Sunday no matter how ugly, we will give our boys time to start gelling on the D side of the ball with Cush and D-rob yet to play a snap of football. Even without them getting playing time yet, I think they will provide a definite improvement in helping stop the running game this Sunday.

Overall...if we can stay healthy, I think I like might like our prospects on defense after Cush, DRob, Molden, and the rookie CBs get more and more playing time on the field against NFL competition. But we CAN NOT afford to start off slow like last year.

Good news so far on the D-Rob front!
Old 09-09-2009   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
cb's are on islands most of the time anyway...so I don't think missing camp is going to hurt him too much. Glad to see he is excited. An excited Dunta is a slobberknocker waiting to happen. I know it sure makes my game day better when I see him take out a FB or makes a wr blow a snot bubble. Pound for pound he is the biggest hitter on this team and I'm pretty darn happy I get to see him play this weekend.

Poor form. His hat is on the wrong side and he left his feet...
Old 09-09-2009   #8
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans are 4.5 point favs, but I think that may be a little too much. So many variables in this game, along with it being the first game of the season. I think I'll stay away from this one on Sunday as far as wagering.
Old 09-09-2009   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Color me nervous about this game as well, more specifically about our defense. We have not seen Cushing or Drob play a down all preseason. I am glad it's at home, we got that going for us.
Old 09-09-2009   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I think he used to be before his injury. When he came back last year, he was a little tentative to get in there and mix it up, which is totally understandable for what happened to his knee and how it happened. I have no doubt that Dunta will be in shape physically, the question is will he be ready mentally? What made him a great player to me was his ability to throw caution to the wind and launch himself at someone with the intent of laying them out, with no regards to his own safety in the process. He's never been a shut down corner (coverage wise), so if you take his hard nosed hitting out of the equation, what are we really left with? I'm not trying to be a downer, I just need to see him get in there and put the hurt on someone to convince me he's good to go.
He wasn't at full strength so using last year is a poor judge of his play. He was on the field faster than anticipated but it takes longer than that to get your full strength back and confidence in your body post injury.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Sounds like he is just fine in that department.

Quote:
Will you be ready to start against the Jets?
"I think so, but I'll know more about that situation as the week goes. It won't take long to adjust once I start playing. The first thing I'm going to try to do is let loose on somebody. Just let loose with all I have. I figure the best way to get my body used to it is to hit somebody and let it out. There's not a game that I have played that my body wasn't very sore afterward. That's football. But if my body is going to be sore, I want to make sure somebody else is sore too."
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon..._physical.html
Old 09-09-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

We talkin' 'bout practice?

Practice?

Show me in the game that you're not rusty. In the game. The game. In the game that you love to play, that you give your blablabla.....

GAME TIME
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekiller View Post
practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

Practice?

Show me in the game that you're not rusty. In the game. The game. In the game that you love to play, that you give your blablabla.....

Game time
qft
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Some positive flow leading up to Sundays game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Practice? What are we talkin' 'bout here?

Practice?

GAME TIME

Buzzkill.
Old 09-09-2009   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

more like truth kill
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Texans are 4.5 point favs, but I think that may be a little too much.
Home teams get 3 points for being the favorite. Vegas basically saying they lean Texans but not with much confidence.

I get the same feeling this game as I do when the Chiefs came to town in 2007.
Old 09-09-2009   #18
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
more like truth kill
Either way.
Old 09-09-2009   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I'm not too concerned about Dunta having much rust. We are lucky in that our first 4 games we play the Jets, Titans, Jags, and Raiders. 4 teams who are not known for their passing offense.

On that same token we are very unlucky in that we're playing 4 teams who's offensive strength lies in their running game. We caught a break in that Dunta and Reeves will be able to get their legs under them before we have to start playing some good passing offenses like the Cardinals in week 5 but we are very unlucky that our biggest perceived weakness on defense (run defense, particularly up the middle) will be tested in a big way the first 4 games of the season.

We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.
Old 09-09-2009   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
We shouldn't be worried about Dunta's rust, we should be worried about Cushing's. He has yet to play an NFL down and is going to be in the starting lineup against some tough running games. We need him to step up in a big way in order for us to start off 3-1.
Good point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read