Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Houston Oilers or Houston Texans
Houston Oilers 13 19.70%
Houston Texans 53 80.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2005   #1
YellowSnow
Rookie

Default Oilers or Texans?

Which sounds better to you guys Houston Oilers or Houston Texans.

I personally loved the Oilers name but I think Tennesse owns the rights to the Oilers name now.
YellowSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #2
Boris
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 Boris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVPBoris was voted MVP

I like the sound of both...... but forced to choose i'll go w/TEXANS
Boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

never liked the "oilers" what the hell is an "oiler" anyway? someone who applies oil? I guess its like the Steelers or Packers.. doesnt have to make sense.. just take what your city is known for and add an "ers" to the end.

hey! that sounds like a joke in the making.

the L.A. Sluters?
the L.A. Smogers?
the L.A. A**holers?

or how about

the Jacksonville Nothingers?
the Jacksonville Redneckers?
the Jacksonville Smacktalkers?
the Jacksonville Ignorantfaners?
the Jacksonville Subparintelligencers! (try to fit that on poster board)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #4
aphia1996
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to aphia1996
Default Not Even A Question!!!!

Houston TEXANS!!!! That is my team!!! The oilers...who are they...the Titans! Now, give it a rest and let the past be just that THE PAST...After 1980, the oilers may RIP in my book! That owner cared nothing for the fans, the team or the game...it was all about the bottom line and how much money he could get from the great fans of HOUSTON!!! Saints owner(T.B.), Former Browns/Ravens owner(A.M.) and the Titians/Oiler owner(B.A.) should all be forced out of the NFL for not wanting to win and not trying to put a quality team on the field! I understand this is a business but it is also a sport and if your going to own a team then be like our great owner Mr. McNair. Who is in the NFL for the right reason..yes to make money is one of them but to build a quality team that has a chance at winning....So, that is my rant for now....I will step off my high horse and call it a day.

GEAUX TEXANS!!!

James H. (6-3, we should have won two of those three but the one was a blowout to KC and we were beat soundly that day!!! )
Baton Rouge, LA
aphia1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah i wasnt alive when the oilers era really existed, so i'd have to say Houston Texans considering we have got to watch this team grow and mature right in front of our eyes !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Call it splitting hairs if you want but I was rather annoyed that Houston didn't have the option of using "Oilers" again. Yes, I know why and I know that Bob McNair wanted to go in another direction anyway which is cool. I respect that of course since it was his $700 million or so that paid for the team.

I just think it speaks to what kind of person Bud Adams was that he first blackmailed us, then tried it again, and when we called him on it he not only took his toy and left town but he did his best to ensure that we'd never have the "Oilers" again. All of that rubbish about it being sentimental was a blatant lie. The only thing NFL related Bud ever got sentimental about was the profits. He retired (killed) the name to keep us from having what many of us always said we wanted, the Oilers without Bud.

In my own personal perfect world the Texans would be called the Oilers but with an updated look and something very close to their current colors.

Fine though. No big deal. We've got Mr McNair and we've got the Texans. Bud's got Nashville and the knowledge that he's one of the most hated figures in Houston for what he did.

Oh yeah, and for now of course we've also got scoreboard. Like to keep that going if we can.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #7
texan2061
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnow
Which sounds better to you guys Houston Oilers or Houston Texans.

I personally loved the Oilers name but I think Tennesse owns the rights to the Oilers name now.
I hate to say it, but the Houston Texans has got to be the corniest name in all sports.
texan2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

How is it corny? It's a moniker related to regional peoples like the Vikings, Packers, or 49'ers are. If you think about it, Packers is a really strange name, but we are used to it and don't think much about it now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #9
dan7
Veteran

Default Texans or Oilers

Houston Texans.....better name, better looking uniforms and far better ownership.
Old 02-11-2005   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2061
I hate to say it, but the Houston Texans has got to be the corniest name in all sports.

Corny ??? I think the name has a good ring to it, plus like vinny said it goes with the territory. I like it way better than the Oilers !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #11
red bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Had to edit this.

Last edited by red bull; 02-11-2005 at 06:11 PM.
red bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #12
Havoc
Veteran

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

How can you be better than them when your spittin' out this garbage.
Old 02-11-2005   #13
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 35326 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Texan.. it's a pride thing. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Columbia (powder) blue with an A.Hole owner vs. Steel Blue with an owner that knows what really affects the "bottom line"...

.. no comparison what sounds better.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've got to admit that when the first rumors came out about the name being Houston Texans my intial reaction was "please God no!! Surely we can be more creative than that." But after seeing everything that has gone down from the revealing of the name and logo 'til today, I can't imagine this team being called anything else. I'm thanking God that we didn't go with something stupid like the Bobcats or whatever.

Corniest name in sports?? What the hell is an Oiler?? Or a Bill, or a Brown, or a Ram??? Basketball has some corny names. What's a Knick or a Pacer? A Heat or a Magic? A Jazz or a SuperSonic??

In baseball....What's a Met, a Phillie, or an Expo?? What's an Astro???

Thank your lucky stars your minor league hockey team isn't named the Macon Whoopee.

Ask me what's a Texan?? I'm a Texan!! And so is my favorite football team.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Havoc .. learn to take a joke.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #16
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphia1996
Houston TEXANS!!!! That is my team!!! The oilers...who are they...the Titans! Now, give it a rest and let the past be just that THE PAST...After 1980, the oilers may RIP in my book! That owner cared nothing for the fans, the team or the game...it was all about the bottom line and how much money he could get from the great fans of HOUSTON!!! Saints owner(T.B.), Former Browns/Ravens owner(A.M.) and the Titians/Oiler owner(B.A.) should all be forced out of the NFL for not wanting to win and not trying to put a quality team on the field! I understand this is a business but it is also a sport and if your going to own a team then be like our great owner Mr. McNair. Who is in the NFL for the right reason..yes to make money is one of them but to build a quality team that has a chance at winning....So, that is my rant for now....I will step off my high horse and call it a day.

GEAUX TEXANS!!!

James H. (6-3, we should have won two of those three but the one was a blowout to KC and we were beat soundly that day!!! )
Baton Rouge, LA
Amen. Let the past go. I was a die in the wool Oiler fan. Lots of good memories. But, more bad memories of good ole' Bottom Line Bud Adams. He can take his toys and stay in Nashville.
THIS IS HOUSTON TEXAN TERRITORY!
Old 02-14-2005   #17
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Houston Oilers!!
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #18
TexansCanes
All Pro

i don't really know which one i liked more. i was still pretty young when they left but i still remember going to some games. i must say that i loved the oliers old uniforms. maybe someone can answer me this, wasn't mcnair thinking about using the oilers but adams won't allow anyone to use it again? i will say that i didn't really like the Texans name at first but it has grown on me, at least we didn't use the white helmets. i will say that only a texas team could have a team named after a state like that. what is the question asking? if it is whether i would want the oilers franchise or texans franchise i would take the texans every day of the week and twice on sundays, but if it is about the name, i might have to say the oilers. but you know what, iím a Texans fan and will always be one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read