Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Revis shut down Johnson?
Yes 7 5.69%
No 116 94.31%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2009   #61
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Could Darrelle Revis actually shut down AJ?

I have a feeling we're gonna send the other Andre deep so that Sheppard can get called for pass interference or burned quite often
Old 09-08-2009   #62
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And that is mine.
Count me in this group.
Old 09-08-2009   #63
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 258627 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Count me in this group.
Me too. Run defense is my primary concern about the Texans right now.

edit to say and also stopping a screen pass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #64
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.
I see them running the ball quite a bit and giving the Rook lots of max protect packages. We haven't stopped the run well in the past and we haven't rushed the passer well so somethings gotta give unless it's us.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #65
l_j_r
Rookie

... i would lean away from jones in fantasy league's ... if you have another comparable option ...

... his goal-line production has not been what we as jets fans have hoped to see over the years and he is not a homerun threat who will take it to the house ... if your up the middle run d is as bad as many of you are saying that may be the only saving grace for getting him td's ... if it was me personally i'd be more inclined to start washington even though he will get less touches on offense ... probably 20-25 vs. 10-15 range ... he should have a chance to put up some good numbers in the return game as well ...

l_j_r
l_j_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #66
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted yes. It's silly to think that Revis could not shut AJ down. Any given Sunday is why. I hope Andre goes ballistic on him and i'm sure he most likely would but you never know. Anything's possible on Sundays. Any Given Sunday are words I've learned to live by. I think ima go rent that tonight. Lol.
Old 09-12-2009   #67
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

With all the potential weaknesses of the Texans, it seems that the Jets will actually concentrate their efforts on shutting down AJ:

Quote:
As much as everyone is anticipating Mark Sanchez's and Rex Ryan's respective debuts, all eyes may end up glued to the pivotal matchup between Darrelle Revis and Andre Johnson, the Jets' All-Pro cornerback and the Texans' All-Pro wide receiver.

"He's very explosive and he's their go-to guy on offense," Revis said Friday at the Jets' practice facility in Florham Park, N.J. "There's a couple things you can do to stop him and contain him, and that's what we've been focusing on all week, getting after him."

It won't be an easy task, even for a lockdown corner who Texans coach Gary Kubiak said was "as good as there is in the league."

Johnson led the NFL with 115 receptions for 1,575 yards last season, becoming the first player to top the league in both categories since 2005. Over the past three seasons, he has been the most productive receiver in the NFL, averaging 87.1 yards per game. He begins the year with 486 receptions and is 621 yards shy of 7,000 for his career, and he has caught at least one pass in 50 straight games.

It's a streak that Revis, who will often be lined up against Johnson in one-on-one coverage at the edges of the field, has no visions of stopping.

"I can't say I'm going to shut this guy out. What we're going to try and do is keep it to a minimum and don't give up big plays," Revis said. "He may catch a five-yard hitch, he may catch a drag route, well, OK, whatever. What we don't want is him making big plays on us: 50-, 60-, 80-yard touchdowns. ... We're going to do our best to stop him and shut him down."

And by "we," Revis means more than just his teammates providing help in the secondary. The best coverage may come from the defensive line every time Houston quarterback Matt Schaub drops back to pass.

"We can definitely do something to help Revis out, and we're going to try the best we can to take a lot of the pressure off of him," defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said.

Jenkins, regrettably, won't be fixated on the marquee showdown. "I wish I had the opportunity to sit back and watch it," he said. "Unfortunately I don't, I have to work at the same time."
Revis' statement is somewhat contradictory, since holding AJ to 5 yard hitches would be the equivalent of shutting him down...........something that is extremely unlikely whether Schaub or Grossman are directing the missiles.

LINK
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2009   #68
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Nnamdi Asomugha shut down AJ the week after he went off on Finnegan.
That was not Nnamdi ..it was the Raiders defensive scheme. Asomugha was on Andre less than half of the game.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #69
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Spaulding View Post
And ,yes, I realize that but that wasn't the threads topic. You are talking like that is the one area that is a given. You haven't had a winning season so I'm sure you have come to the realization that it takes more than your elite receiver to have one. Man you are an angry group. I haven't said one bad word about your team and you act like I took that one guy up on his offer of his daughter and wife. Go JETS!
You do realize it was 7 seasons before the Jets finally had a winning season?
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #70
l_j_r
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I have a feeling we're gonna send the other Andre deep so that Sheppard can get called for pass interference or burned quite often
... this is what i am more concerned about ...

... if you guys gameplan to test revis and feature AJ i like the jets chances ...

... if you guys gameplan to focus on the rest of the wr's & te's attacking sheppard i give the nod to the texans ...

l_j_r
l_j_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #71
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

16 teams tried to shutdown AJ last season and well (115 receptions for 1,575 yards) They didnt fair to well.

IMO if your entire defensive gameplan is to stop AJ your going to get burned by OD, Kevin Walter and Slaton all game long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.

Last edited by Bubbajwp; 09-12-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #72
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
16 teams tried to shutdown AJ last season and well (15 receptions for 1,575 yards) They didnt fair to well.

IMO if your entire defensive gameplan is to stop AJ your going to get burned by OD, Kevin Walter and Slaton all game long.
You might want to correct those stats...15 receptions?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #73
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Andre Johnson: ~100 yards per catch.
Old 09-12-2009   #74
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Wow! Andre Johnson: 1500 yds. per game.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans have their way with Gholston, the CBs are going to be quite occupied with worrying about the run........enough to compromise coverage.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #76
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Quote:
Quote:
Wow! Andre Johnson: 1500 yds. per game.
He was a fantasy league monster.
Old 09-12-2009   #77
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
That was not Nnamdi ..it was the Raiders defensive scheme. Asomugha was on Andre less than half of the game.
That was more of us expecting Nnambi to coverhim alot, so we left Dre out of the game plan. Dumb move.
Old 09-13-2009   #78
WhiteShoeWillie
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 WhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden coverWhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden coverWhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden coverWhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden coverWhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden coverWhiteShoeWillie could be on the next Madden cover

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=48147
WhiteShoeWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #79
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

can I change my vote?

Old 09-13-2009   #80
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre did not get shut down at all.

Kubiak did not give him a chance to get shut down.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read