Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Revis shut down Johnson?
Yes 7 5.69%
No 116 94.31%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2009   #41
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346
Default Re: Could Darrelle Revis actually shut down AJ?

Aren't Pace and Ellis out for this game? If so the better question would be will Gholston be able to get through Winston and/or Brown to get to Schaub?

From what I watched of the Jets in preseason Gholston looks like he's still struggling to live up to expectations. It should be interesting to see how he does on Sunday.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Spaulding View Post
Man you guys can't take any critism at all. Even when I'm not criticizing. Maybe AJ will win the battle against Revis but the other 10 guys will have a little something to say about the outcome. Did I say we'd win? Nope. Just replying to a post.
Criticism is cool.

Not to expect any blow back isn't understandable.

You came in here telling us what we should be worried about. Not considering we may very well be worried about it, but this particular thread was about a particular match-up of this game.

I don't think we've got a thread dedicated to this game yet. But if you read through my post, you'll see that I warn about our team & our coaches taking this game lightly.

I respect your backfield, and have said so.
Old 09-07-2009   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Aren't Pace and Ellis out for this game? If so the better question would be will Gholston be able to get through Winston and/or Brown to get to Schaub?

From what I watched of the Jets in preseason Gholston looks like he's still struggling to live up to expectations. It should be interesting to see how he does on Sunday.
In a 3-4, the DE's aren't necessarily lined up over the OTs. It depends on what they're thinking, and what they are trying to do. But default situation, the DE's are lined up against the guards.

We're talking 5 on 5 when we're looking at a 3-4, which is why this defense is difficult to run against. All your line men have someone in front of them, so getting to the second level isn't a given for any of the front 5.

In Pass pro, you're exactly right. Calvin Pace would be working against Duane Brown (who has shown difficulty working against a 3-4 rush end) or a tight-end, OD or Dressen.

The guys that concern me the most, out of their front 7, is Kris Jenkins, and Bart Scott. If we have trouble running the ball, it's going to be because of these two.

I understand our passing game dictates our offense. It is after all a WCO. But if we can't keep our offense on the field....... which should be read "running game". We're going to be asking an aweful lot of our suspect defense.
Old 09-07-2009   #44
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna call my shot. If the Jets stick Revis on AJ mano e mano, AJ will take advantage of Revis's 4 inches he gives up to AJ. If Matt Schaub is not getting pressured, it's going to be lights out. He may or may not get into the endzone but he will move the chains if Revis is on an island.
Old 09-07-2009   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm gonna call my shot. If the Jets stick Revis on AJ mano e mano, AJ will take advantage of Revis's 4 inches he gives up to AJ. If Matt Schaub is not getting pressured, it's going to be lights out. He may or may not get into the endzone but he will move the chains if Revis is on an island.
So you think Matt Schaub will be ready for week 1?

You think Schaub has a knack for putting the ball where only AJ can get it?

You think Schaub knows how to take advantage of a mismatch?

I'd like to know why you think such things. I've seen good/great QBs do the things you're talking about. I'm not ready to put Matt Schuab in that group.

If the Texans are even concerned about Darrelle Revis, which I think they should be, you're going to see one of those unexplainable games where we kept the ball out of AJ's hands.
Old 09-07-2009   #46
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you think Matt Schaub will be ready for week 1?

You think Schaub has a knack for putting the ball where only AJ can get it?

You think Schaub knows how to take advantage of a mismatch?

I'd like to know why you think such things. I've seen good/great QBs do the things you're talking about. I'm not ready to put Matt Schuab in that group.

If the Texans are even concerned about Darrelle Revis, which I think they should be, you're going to see one of those unexplainable games where we kept the ball out of AJ's hands.
You wouldn't put Matt Schaub in the "good" QB group? Yeah, he's injury prone out the whazoo, but he's been quite good in the time that he has been healthy.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
You wouldn't put Matt Schaub in the "good" QB group? Yeah, he's injury prone out the whazoo, but he's been quite good in the time that he has been healthy.
David Carr has looked good in this system. Sage Rosenfels has looked good in this system. Rex freak'n Grossman has looked good in this system.

Jake the Snake has looked good in the system. Bob(??) Griese, the younger done nothing Griese, has looked good in this system.

Elway, Montana, Young, & I'll go out on a limb, and say Cutler has looked out freak'n standing in this system.

Take it how you want.
Old 09-07-2009   #48
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David Carr has looked good in this system. Sage Rosenfels has looked good in this system. Rex freak'n Grossman has looked good in this system.

Jake the Snake has looked good in the system. Bob(??) Griese, the younger done nothing Griese, has looked good in this system.

Elway, Montana, Young, & I'll go out on a limb, and say Cutler has looked out freak'n standing in this system.

Take it how you want.
So...what you're saying is you don't think Plummer, Griese, Elway, Montana, Young, or Cutler are in the "good/great" QB catagory.
Old 09-07-2009   #49
l_j_r
Rookie

... this is one of the prime match-ups that we are very excited/nervous about as jets fans ...

... i did not make a selection in the poll as i am very torn over what will happen here ...

... revis is the jets most talented and consistent player bar none ... jenkins is more important to us ... scott the rabid pitbull on the field implementing rex's grand scheme ... and leon washington more of a homerun threat ... but revis is THE MAN ...

... as far as i can tell AJ is the same for you guys ... please correct me if i'm wrong here ...

... unfortunately our #2 cb spot has been the polar opposite since revis was drafted ... with sheppard this preseason committing pass interference against everyone including the girl scouts coming to his door selling cookies ... and dwight lowery last season and this not having the 5th gear needed to keep up with top receivers when isolated without safety help ... there is not any reason for teams to test revis ...

... i picture a realistic statline for AJ is 6 catches 80 yards ... if that does not include a TD i will be very happy with revis's performance ...

l_j_r
l_j_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_j_r View Post
... i picture a realistic statline for AJ is 6 catches 80 yards ... if that does not include a TD i will be very happy with revis's performance ...

l_j_r
I think this brings up a question about the defense you guys play over there. Do your corners play a side or do your corners play a man? Is Revis going to be singled up on AJ most of the day or can we scheme away from Revis?

In the Raider game last year, a lot of people said that Asomugha shut AJ down but it was really the play-calling more than anything else that shut him down. He was used mostly as a decoy that day and it didn't work. The Raiders played sides for the most part, iirc, and so sometimes Asomugha was on AJ and sometimes not.

A thing about this offense is that all the receivers are pretty good and have their function and the QB's usually spread the ball around pretty good.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
So...what you're saying is you don't think Plummer, Griese, Elway, Montana, Young, or Cutler are in the "good/great" QB catagory.
Elway, Montana, Young & Cutler looked outstanding in the QB friendly system because they are/were great QBs.

Plummer was/is very talented, but not really a good QB.

Griese...... was also very talented, and really a pretty good QB.

Matt Schuab so far to date, looks to benefit from our QB friendly system, more than we've benefitted from Matt Schaub.
Old 09-08-2009   #52
l_j_r
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think this brings up a question about the defense you guys play over there. Do your corners play a side or do your corners play a man? Is Revis going to be singled up on AJ most of the day or can we scheme away from Revis?
... that's a good ? ... with this being rex's 1st regular season game we are still learning what he really is going to do scheme wise ...

... my expectation is we will see revis matched up on AJ the majority of the game ... most of those i believe he will be on an island without safety help ... the major reason for that being our need for help at the #2 cb ... also one of you guys expressed how talented kerry rhodes is and this is true ... he should have a monster year for us ... for arguments sake let's say ed reed lite ... expect him to be brought in on blitzes and centerfielding with leonhard used more in run support ...

... again - we as ny jets fans are learning what rex will do as we went with only the vanilla preseason d .. and also his ravens scheme's to go on ... (personally i believe he kept fabian washington on the left side in balt ... but i'm not 100% on that) ...

Quote:
In the Raider game last year, a lot of people said that Asomugha shut AJ down but it was really the play-calling more than anything else that shut him down. He was used mostly as a decoy that day and it didn't work. The Raiders played sides for the most part, iirc, and so sometimes Asomugha was on AJ and sometimes not.

A thing about this offense is that all the receivers are pretty good and have their function and the QB's usually spread the ball around pretty good.

... while i don't expect your coaching staff to use AJ as a decoy against us ... there is more of a risk going up against revis while sheppard and lowery should be much easier for walter, davis, daniels, anderson and crew to attack ...

... if AJ is lined up on the other side of the field from revis other than a trick play we are in DEEP $h*t !!!!!!!!!!! ...

l_j_r
Old 09-08-2009   #53
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_j_r View Post
... this is one of the prime match-ups that we are very excited/nervous about as jets fans ...

... i did not make a selection in the poll as i am very torn over what will happen here ...

... revis is the jets most talented and consistent player bar none ... jenkins is more important to us ... scott the rabid pitbull on the field implementing rex's grand scheme ... and leon washington more of a homerun threat ... but revis is THE MAN ...

... as far as i can tell AJ is the same for you guys ... please correct me if i'm wrong here ...

... unfortunately our #2 cb spot has been the polar opposite since revis was drafted ... with sheppard this preseason committing pass interference against everyone including the girl scouts coming to his door selling cookies ... and dwight lowery last season and this not having the 5th gear needed to keep up with top receivers when isolated without safety help ... there is not any reason for teams to test revis ...

l_j_r
AJ is THE MAN for us, no doubt. But Kevin Walter (who is day to day right now) is the workhorse -- the guy that steps up on the third and 6 and hauls it down in traffic. Daniels can fill that role as well. I also think that minus Walter you could see David Anderson step up in a big way. AD is the homerun threat, with Jacoby Jones being groomed for the part in future years.

The Texans actually spread the ball around quite a bit, with Steve Slaton also getting a large number of short passes intended to isolate him in single coverage. You'll even see them toss it to Vonte Leach a couple of times a game. Don't expect them to force it to AJ unless the Jets pull Revis off of him.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #54
l_j_r
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
AJ is THE MAN for us, no doubt. ... Don't expect them to force it to AJ unless the Jets pull Revis off of him.
... thanks for the info dan ...

l_j_r
Old 09-08-2009   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.
Old 09-08-2009   #56
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think we should be asking ourselves, can our run D stop Jones and Washington? At least, that is my primary concern.
And that is mine.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #57
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And that is mine.
Their running attack scares me, especially with how weak our run D has looked in the preseason.

Does it make me less of a Texan fan that I'm definitely starting Thomas Jones on my fantasy team?
Old 09-08-2009   #58
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Their running attack scares me, especially with how weak our run D has looked in the preseason.

Does it make me less of a Texan fan that I'm definitely starting Thomas Jones on my fantasy team?
May your fantasy team lose this week.
Old 09-08-2009   #59
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Take it how you want.

That is not correct. David Carr did not look good in this system. That's why he spent one year in it and was sent packing despite that multimillion dollar bonus payment he'd just received.

As for the rest of it I can find no fault. David Carr was one example that just didn't float.
Old 09-08-2009   #60
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So am I. Historically, it'd be dumb if we didn't start him, right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read