Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who should be the Texan's backup QB?
Dan Orlovsky 18 23.68%
Rex Grossman 58 76.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2009   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans still undecided on second-string QB

Rex looked good last night, but I say Orlovsky should be #2. He is the future for the Texans at backup QB.

Quote:
Texans still undecided on second-string QB

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said today his back-up quarterback job is tied between Dan Orlovsky and Rex Grossman and that a decision on who suits up for the New York Jets will be determined after practice this week.

Grossman came off the bench at Tampa Bay and completed 9-of-16 for 197 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Texans to a 27-20 victory over the Buccaneers.

Orlovsky started and was 5-of-7 for 51 yards and one interception.

Orlovsky and Grossman will get a lot of chances in practice because Matt Schaub is still nursing an ankle injury and may have to sit out a couple of practices.

“They’re both backups right now,” Kubiak said. “I wish we’d seen more of Rex in preseason, but he played very well (Friday night).

Grossman suffered a hamstring injury in the preseason opener at Kansas City and missed 18 practices before returning against the Bucs.

“There’s going to be plenty of reps to go around because we may have a couple of practices without Matt,” Kubiak said. “When I make the decision, it’s going to be based on who has the best grasp of what we’re doing.”

Kubiak also announced that if cornerback Dunta Robinson doesn’t report, rookie Brice McCain will start opposite Fred Bennett. Most expect Robinson to report this weekend, sign his one-year tender as the franchise player and start preparing for the Jets.

Free safety Eugene Wilson may not play against the Jets because of a knee injury. If he can’t play, veteran Nick Ferguson will start opposite Dominique Barber.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans still undecided on second-string QB

Grossman. For now. Orlovsky is a better quarterback. He just needs time.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #3
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Grossman. For now. Orlovsky is a better quarterback. He just needs time.
I agree "O" is Rosenfels 2.0 right now. He needs to work on his reads more. He has a good arm and can manage the game he just makes bad decisions at the worst possible time right now. Grossman looked like a man among boys last night.
Old 09-05-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Grossman, without hesitation. I think we can still win with him at QB when Schaub goes down.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #5
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Grossman, without hesitation. I think we can still win with him at QB when Schaub goes down.
What do you mean by when? He already has. LOL on a non contact play no less. Hopefully he is a go week one and we don't need to find out if we can win with Grossman or Orvlosky.
Old 09-05-2009   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Rex. If someone had told me I would rather have him at backup over Dan when preseason started there is no way I would have believed it. After the KC game I thought there was no chance he was going to stick as the third guy. I am not totally down on Dan but he does not look ready.
Old 09-05-2009   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I'd like to see us bring in Jeff Garcia since he was cut. At least you know you get a QB who has been reliable and has tons of experience in the WC offense. I wouldn't be worried if Matt went down (but then again, I was saying that last year about another QB on our roster).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2009   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Honestly, I'd like to see us bring in Jeff Garcia since he was cut. At least you know you get a QB who has been reliable and has tons of experience in the WC offense. I wouldn't be worried if Matt went down (but then again, I was saying that last year about another QB on our roster).
I saw him play some last season and was totally unimpressed. Carr told him he was using the dump off too often. Plus he is old and would probably want to start. He isn't even on the radar.
Old 09-05-2009   #9
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I saw him play some last season and was totally unimpressed. Carr told him he was using the dump off too often. Plus he is old and would probably want to start. He isn't even on the radar.
I think that Grossman keeps the #2 seat warm for Orlosvky until next year, and then it is his gig. Like someone said he just needs some time, but Grossman is the better backup right now.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I play the guy who has actually won an NFL game as opposed to the guy who hasn't yet.

I know it's not that simple but seriously, Orlovsky looks like he needs a lot of work and that's fine if Kubiak really thinks he's found a diamond in a goat's ass plucking this guy out of Detroit. He can coach up a QB very nicely I think we all agree. I just don't think Orlovsky is done yet. He makes too many mistakes and looks like a talented guy who has had crap for coaching so far. Until he's playing like Gary thinks he's capable of playing I don't let Grossman out of my sight.
Old 09-06-2009   #11
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Dan O is not the future Texans backup, unless he changes his play drastically.

Rex until Dan shows me something to get excited about.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #12
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

rex grossman, have been saying it since they signed him

but it's funny that most of yall is liking him over dano, when most of you wanted dan to be the backup at the start.

go sexy rexy.
Old 09-06-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I saw from Rex on Friday. He even made JJ look good. But that's not even a whole game's worth of info.

I'm thinking if we're winning big (I know, that's a big IF) in the 4th qtr, get Schaub out before something else weird happens to him and let Dan or Rex finish up.

Something tells me that Kubiak will give Rex the "mop-up" snaps if we're killing the Jets by say 17 or better with 5 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. Dan is still too turnover prone. At least Rex knows when to throw the damned ball out of bounds.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #14
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

For now, Grossman. Orlovsky is a Rosencopter waiting to happen. Of course, at his signing, I said that about Grossman...

I think Orlovsky has all the talent needed to be a successful QB in this league, but he needs more coaching and improved decision-making.

Hopefully, Matt starts all 16 games for the first time...I know....when a turtle plays a banjo, right?

There! I found a use for the smilie!!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with with the thoughts that Grossman should, for now, be the backup QB. I trust him more than DanO. But I still believe DanO is the future of the Texans. A couple years down the line when DanO gets all coached up by Kubiac and staff he'll replace Schaub as the starter.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #16
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

AHHHHHH! How many threads are there going to be about Grossman? He SUCKS!
Old 09-06-2009   #17
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Grossman, Orlovsky is not our future.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #18
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Grossman, Orlovsky is not our future.
Reason being that with Grossman's experience, and the fact that he has had crap at WR and no running game in Chicago he would be able to work with what we have if needed. When in Chicago, other teams didn't have to worry about anything but going after him, and he had limited options to work with when they did. Is he the second coming, absolutely not and don't want it to appear that I think that either...but compared to O, I think Rex is the much better option.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
He not on the radar nor a Raider now.
Old 09-06-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I agree "O" is Rosenfels 2.0 right now. He needs to work on his reads more. He has a good arm and can manage the game he just makes bad decisions at the worst possible time right now. Grossman looked like a man among boys last night.
That's because he was amongst boys. Meaning, 2nd, 3rd and roster cutee's. Dan O went against their 1's and 2's.

To me, it doesn't matter who ends up #2 because they're both a liability at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
AHHHHHH! How many threads are there going to be about Grossman? He SUCKS!
Partially agree. He might have a leg up on Dan at the moment, but I hope niether one has to step in early.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read