Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JJ Has Definitely Fallen........

off the bubble.........if he ever really was on it. He has shown progressive improvement in his manner and performance throughout the preseason. At one point in time, we will be seeing AJ AND JJ going out on long sideline patterns SIMULTANEOUSLY. Which of them will/can the D's cover? As fast as these two can get down field, our Oline will not have to hold the D off forever for the QB to get the pass off. We could very well have the next dynamic duo of Divide and Conquer.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JJ Has Definitely Fallen........

Sounds good to me.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Sounds good to me.
Until he drops the ball, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see how Jacoby responds before we go crazy. JJ has experienced preseason success in the past, and his head got big.

He's made the team, now let's see him carry some of this over into the regular season, and let's see if he can develop some consistency.

Until then, he's still a questionable commodity to me.

For TONIGHT, though - fantastic game. I especially love that he seems to have gotten over his penchant to carry the ball like a loaf of bread. All preseason long, he's had that thing locked in high and tight.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Had a very good game tonight. Can we keep him an Martenize?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Had a very good game tonight. Can we keep him an Martenize?
With Kevin Walter hurting, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept six until Walter gets back. His hammy problem isn't the kind you can take chances with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he misses a game or two.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-04-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Whoever thought JJ was even on the bubble is delusional
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2009   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Depends on when you're talking about. Going into tonight, I thought he already had it locked up... but in week one and two I think he was on the bubble... but he hasn't had any drops, and he's looked good receiving the ball since then.

Because of our suddenly terrible punt return blocking, we haven't really seen him do big things in that realm - but man, he's ten times the receiver he was last year.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-05-2009   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup, has anyone other than JJ taken a punt return? That is the clue to me.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Jenkins has taken some punts, and I believe Martinez did as well during some of our earlier games. Against TB I think JJ handled punts in the first half, and Jenkins fielded them in the second half.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Going into camp, Jacoby Jones WAS ON THE BUBBLE, but he did what he needed to do and had a good camp/preseason and sowed up the 5th spot.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Going into camp, Jacoby Jones WAS ON THE BUBBLE, but he did what he needed to do and had a good camp/preseason and sowed up the 5th spot.
What he said.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-05-2009   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I'll ask the question. If we only keep 5 WR's & AJ, Andre Davis, Walter, & JJ have locked up positions, who would you rather keep, David Andersen or Glenn Martinez? From what I've seen in preseason, I'm leaning towards Martinez.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Okay, I'll ask the question. If we only keep 5 WR's & AJ, Andre Davis, Walter, & JJ have locked up positions, who would you rather keep, David Andersen or Glenn Martinez? From what I've seen in preseason, I'm leaning towards Martinez.

I'll take David Anderson, who has already proven he can play during the regular season and has earned his spot on the WR depth chart after multiple years on the PS. David Anderson isn't even the 5th WR...so he's not even the guy on the edge.
Old 09-05-2009   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Anderson is a supreme route runner and established as the Zebra (slot) guy on this team. To think he's on the bubble is just ignorant.
Old 09-05-2009   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I disagree but "on the bubble" is a relative term anyways
Old 09-05-2009   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree but "on the bubble" is a relative term anyways
Before offseason started Kubiak even said himself that Jones needed to step his game up. They didn't draft him in the 3rd round to be a career punt returner....unless he showed something as a actual receiver.....HE WAS on the bubble.
Old 09-05-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
........And now some kick returns.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #19
Rasputin
Mystic

Rep Power: 0 Rasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respectedRasputin is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen JJ shine in preseason games before. I'm just not sold on him as a regular season receiver. He's a hinderence to the running game because he can't/won't block and he has questionable hands. It makes me so nervous just watching him catching and holding onto punts that I can't even watch anymore. I would lean toward Martinez.

I hate preseason...
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this regarding Jacoby last month, and I think it still stands:

Quote:
Jacoby Jones - The star of this practice was Jacoby Jones. Yes, the the same Jacoby Jones that half this forum has on the waiver wire. From his "Air" drum major routine to the beat of the Texans Bullpen pep band at the beginning of practice, to the red zone drill that saw him score on 3 consecutive plays, Jones was dominating and entertaining. No one who watched this practice could ever say with a straight face that Jacoby is not one of the 53 best players on this roster.
Jones is the 2nd most talented WR on this team. Now, this is Jones' 3rd season and that talent must be realized. But, to think that fringe players like Jenkins or Martinez could take Jacoby's spot was/is absurd. Jones' punt returns have helped give the Texans field position. And he should be utilized more in the passing game by Kubiak. The Texans need to get more playmakers on the field. And Jacoby Jones is a playmaker.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read