Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Part 1: Kubiak talks offense with Vandermeer

Quote:
Marc Vandermeer, the radio voice of the Houston Texans, sat down with head coach Gary Kubiak recently to ask him questions about the team's offense heading into the start of the 2009 season.

Vandermeer: Welcome to Texans TV. Marc Vandermeer with Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak. Coach, as you get ready to embark on the regular season, let's talk about different aspects of the team, starting with the running game. You want to see more progress in that department.

Kubiak: Obviously, throughout the preseason, Marc, we have not run the ball as well as we did last year. We played a very good team Monday night in Minnesota, who was second against the rush. Still, our team goes offensively by how we run the ball. We'd like to come out of the preseason better, but it is what it is and it's time to move on. But we're going to stay committed to it and we've got to find a way to do it better.

Vandermeer: Now we have seen Chris Brown make some pretty good power runs in the Kansas City game and the Minnesota game.

Kubiak: Our goal is to use him basically as a short-yardage runner, a red zone runner and Steve's (Slaton) backup, so we have to plan to go about our business and hopefully we can keep him healthy. But he's shown flashes this preseason that he's still got it in him. That's important to our team.

Vandermeer: Offensive line, you have to like your depth though, because Rashad Butler looks good as a swing tackle, and both Kasey Studdard and Chris White have played well for you.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5527
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Part 1: Kubiak talks offense with Vandermeer

sounds like Brown's won the backup job from Moats.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like Browns hit on Slatons fantasy value with that goalline stuff...
Old 09-03-2009   #4
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Are you counting on Brown staying healthy?
Old 09-03-2009   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
Are you counting on Brown staying healthy?
No, but why jinx him.
Old 09-03-2009   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 46441 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, but why jinx him.
Personally I have already come to terms with the fact that he's not going to stay healthy. If he does then it will just be a bonus. I really don't know how he's stayed on the team this long.
Old 09-03-2009   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The hell with fantasy value, when we are talking red zone effectiveness of the Houston Texans!!
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2009   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The hell with fantasy value, when we are talking red zone effectiveness of the Houston Texans!!
Thank you.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #9
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I know it's a killer for our roster spots, but Kubes better thing LONG and hard about keeping Foster and a total of four RBs, because of Brown's injury history. I mean, the guy looks great, but you guys know as well as I do that it's a matter of "when" not "if".

...and the fact that it took a two-year deal to sign Foster I think means he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. I think we'll lose him if we try to put him there, because there was some stiff competition for his services.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #10
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I know it's a killer for our roster spots, but Kubes better thing LONG and hard about keeping Foster and a total of four RBs, because of Brown's injury history. I mean, the guy looks great, but you guys know as well as I do that it's a matter of "when" not "if".

...and the fact that it took a two-year deal to sign Foster I think means he won't clear waivers to get to the practice squad. I think we'll lose him if we try to put him there, because there was some stiff competition for his services.
Chris, there was competition to get him when the rosters were at 80. If he gets claimed from our practice squad he will have to be part of the active 45 for the first few games if that new team wants to retain him. Given his lack of preseason film, I think that is highly unlikely.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Chris, there was competition to get him when the rosters were at 80. If he gets claimed from our practice squad he will have to be part of the active 45 for the first few games if that new team wants to retain him. Given his lack of preseason film, I think that is highly unlikely.
Baring an injury to Brown in tonight's last preseason game, I have to agree with your assessment dm. I know there is a risk putting Foster on the PS but I don't think they will carry 4 RB's on the active roster. It's a chance they will probably take.

On another note, it sounds like they will keep JJ.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It was intended as a tongue and cheek kind of remark.

On a serious note, I didn't think Slaton was that bad taking it in around the red zone last year. As a team they weren't great but I thought he did his part. He did have the second most attempts though at 30 in the RZ. I think their problem was finding a guy like Daniels. But saving Slaton some wear and tear isn't bad. I just wouldn't plug in Brown all the time or depend on him.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 09-04-2009 at 08:23 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post

Foster won't clear waivers.

And Kubiak would be a crack head to drop him.

Slaton, Moats, Brown, and Foster as Brown's replacement once Chris Brown gets smacked hard enough to send him back to the bench.

Carrying four RBs is the right thing to do. We traditionally only carry 2 QBs, so the fourth RB takes what would have been a 3rd QB spot.
Old 09-04-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Foster won't clear waivers.

And Kubiak would be a crack head to drop him.

Slaton, Moats, Brown, and Foster as Brown's replacement once Chris Brown gets smacked hard enough to send him back to the bench.

Carrying four RBs is the right thing to do. We traditionally only carry 2 QBs, so the fourth RB takes what would have been a 3rd QB spot.
I agree but Kubes has voiced a desire to keep 3 QB again and would have last year. I don't think Brown should be Slaton's back up either. Moats has not played himself out of that spot for me. He should be used to keep both Slaton and Brown as healthy and fresh as possible. I think I'd rather cut one of the Dline & keep 4 RB or go with 4 WR rather than 5. We have seen little of Foster but I like what I have seen.
Old 09-04-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I've been watching late enough in the games to see Foster...I've been a bad fan...

Anyone want to give some pros/cons on Foster's appearances?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
I really don't know how he's stayed on the team this long.
He's only been on the team for a year.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I don't think I've been watching late enough in the games to see Foster...I've been a bad fan...

I actually missed the play but he did get 9 one on play and Kubes seems to like him. link> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6598271.html

I like his size and willingness to get back on field quickly. he could be Brown's eventual replacement.
Old 09-04-2009   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree but Kubes has voiced a desire to keep 3 QB again and would have last year. I don't think Brown should be Slaton's back up either. Moats has not played himself out of that spot for me. He should be used to keep both Slaton and Brown as healthy and fresh as possible. I think I'd rather cut one of the Dline & keep 4 RB or go with 4 WR rather than 5. We have seen little of Foster but I like what I have seen.
Kubiak approaches change at a glacial pace.

So I don't see him keeping 3 QBs this year. I think it's Matt and Dan. And that's it. If both go down, we'll sign someone off the street.

I don't think we'll keep four RBs, either. But we should.

Once the bubble-wrap starts unwinding off of Chris Brown, I think we all know what will happen. Foster is thick. He threw a good-looking, textbook block on a blitzer who was coming up the middle at Schaub.

There is the possibility that they view James Casey as a possible RB if we need one.
Old 09-04-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Up until the last game he hadn't done much of anything. In the Vikes game he had a carry or two that were decent. He picked up a blitz nicely that was more impressive than anything he's done.

In the end, he hasn't done enough to earn a roster spot. Tonight might tell a different story, but I would think Moats has a firm handle of that 3rd spot. The only reason Kubiak would carry another RB would be the lack of trust in Brown staying healthy. Unless Foster has a career game tonight, I'd take my chances on sending him to the PS.
Old 09-04-2009   #20
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
He's only been on the team for a year.
I am aware of that and I stand by my statement.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read