Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2009   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A look at Texans "46" defensive front.

Here is a link to my football newsletter which has a "film session" section towards the bottom where I take a look at the Texans use of the "46 defense".

One of the reasons that they utilize it, according to a team insider I spoke with, is because Gary Kubiak has had the Texans practice against that front since it is the hardest defense for zone teams to run against. I guess the Texans have decided to incorporate it more often now since more and more teams are including zone packages into their running game.

There is a TON of college football in the newsletter this week but obviously I'll have more pro football info once next week starts. I hope you enjoy the look at the 46.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19407504/2009-View-Week-One
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #2
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A look at Texans "46" defensive front.

Man, I'd love to see more of that. I really miss the 46 defense the Oilers played under Buddy.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Here is a link to my football newsletter which has a "film session" section towards the bottom where I take a look at the Texans use of the "46 defense".

One of the reasons that they utilize it, according to a team insider I spoke with, is because Gary Kubiak has had the Texans practice against that front since it is the hardest defense for zone teams to run against. I guess the Texans have decided to incorporate it more often now since more and more teams are including zone packages into their running game.

There is a TON of college football in the newsletter this week but obviously I'll have more pro football info once next week starts. I hope you enjoy the look at the 46.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19407504/2009-View-Week-One
What are we supposed to do here LZ?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice analysis, LZ. I dig the 46 when you have the players to pull it off successfully, but like you mentioned, it is risky against the pass. And considering the state of our CBs and safeties, it might even be riskier. But I like the aggressive play calling that Bush is putting out there, so hopefully we'll see some major run-stuffing by this defense.
Old 09-03-2009   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the 46. I always choose it in the NFL head Coach games.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #6
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good read, thanks Lance.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I was starting to wonder if anyone else noticed how poor our secondary is at run support. Are we ever going to get a safety that can defend the pass and is aggressive in run support? In eight years we have never had one that could do both equally as well. Sad!

Someone needs to plant some drugs in Taylor Mays gym bag before next years draft.
Old 09-03-2009   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
The 46 can be high risk against the pass, but it is one of the toughest defenses to face for teams who like to run zone plays.
I imagine that if you have a fast DE like Mario or Barwin then there's not much risk of a downfield pass, but TE screens or slot receivers are going to be a problem.

That said, I still like this formation for our front seven.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #9
whiskeyrbl

Nice info LZ.
Old 09-03-2009   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Doesn't the 46 defense incorporate a "Jack" LB who replaces the SAM? & I thought what made the 46 distinguishable, was that the Jack & the Will played on the strong side?

I know it's only wikipedia, but their description sounds more like what I remembered.

Mario should be where Adibi is. Ready to rush from the weakside. Amobi & Antonio should switch places, with your strondside DE lined up over the Strongside Guard. Adibi should be where Diles is, and Diles should be where Mario is.

...........TE... OT..OG..C..OG..OT.........
..................................26.............. .

Old 09-03-2009   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

From Scout.com

Quote:
Two outside linebackers act as the fifth and sixth down linemen. They line up side by side on the opposite end of the field from the rush end. The middle linebacker and strong safety round out the eight players in the box, beginning each play 4-5 yards off the line of scrimmage. The strong safety, in essence, becomes the fourth linebacker.
Old 09-03-2009   #12
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

eh, i like the way Bush used it more. it spreads out the lb's more so that they can't just run the ball toward them. if i'm reading into this right (and please correct me if i am) the point of this D is to free up DeMeco and allow him to make the play on the ball. i like the idea of it but i'd rather have our big guys anchoring the line at different points and not just used as block-takers.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
eh, i like the way Bush used it more. it spreads out the lb's more so that they can't just run the ball toward them. if i'm reading into this right (and please correct me if i am) the point of this D is to free up DeMeco and allow him to make the play on the ball. i like the idea of it but i'd rather have our big guys anchoring the line at different points and not just used as block-takers.
With 6 men on the LOS.... and Demeco bust'n a$$ all over the field, you may be right. With our personel, this formation may be the way to go. With Mario out there, outside the strongside.... that may change the TEs responsibilty, and keep him from releasing......

You're right, maybe this is an evolution of the 46.
Old 09-03-2009   #14
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nice analysis, LZ. I dig the 46 when you have the players to pull it off successfully, but like you mentioned, it is risky against the pass. And considering the state of our CBs and safeties, it might even be riskier. But I like the aggressive play calling that Bush is putting out there, so hopefully we'll see some major run-stuffing by this defense.
I think the 46 could be a nod to the fact that the Texans realize they might not be able to sit in their base defense and stop the run and they will probably have to scheme it up a little more than they did last year.
Old 09-03-2009   #15
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

It's just a different alignment. It basically involves covering up the offensive linemen and getting your MLB running free while dropping a safety in the box as well. Don't get too worked up over the Wiki page.
Old 09-03-2009   #16
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post

It isn't about just occupying blockers just to free up one LB, it is also about making it tough to get to the second level for offensive linemen which is the key to blocking 8 in the box. In fact, it is the only way to block 8 in the box and when you take the 2nd level blocking away from the offensive line, it makes it VERY tought to run. Down side is obviously the big plays through the passing game since many teams will check to something else if they see you in the 46.
Old 09-03-2009   #17
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

While i like the aggresiveness. This is putting a LOT of stress on an average FS (Wilson)
Old 09-03-2009   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Someone needs to plant some drugs in Eric Berry's gym bag before next years draft.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 09-03-2009   #19
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda explains why Demeco was making all the tackles while the other LBs were tied up.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

very nice stuff Lance....You better have good tacklers and good safety play if you are going to run 46 looks. There isn't much margin for error if a lineman breaks into the second level. Fisher has always put a premium on quality S play.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read