Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-03-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Worst Owners in the NFL

I'm posting this in Texans Talk because it's a two part story and he's starting from the bottom. Obviously Mr. McNair will be in the top half so it will be relevant later today.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

32- Oak (crazy Al)
31- Cincy (Cheap and lazy Mike Brown)
30- Chicago (Virginia McCaskey)
29- Det (William Ford)
28- Cle (Randy Lerner)
27- Stl (Chip Roosenbloom)
26- Arizona (Bill Bidwell)
25- Jax (Wayne Whiner)
24- Buf (Ralf HOF Wilson)
23- SF (Denise Debartalo)
22- NO (Tom Benson)
21- Tacks (Some guy named "Bud")
20- NYJ (Woody Johnson)
19- SD (Alex Spanos)
18- Min (Zygi Wilf)
17- Mia (Stephen Ross and the cast of "Friends")

Question is, where do you think Bob will end up? Top 10? Top 5?
barrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 224197 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Worst Owners in the NFL

I'll guess top 10.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 224375 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

It depends on the criteria, I guess. If it's all about making money, then Bob will be top 5. If it's all about winning and/or football operations, then Bob's probably in the middle. I'm sure the list is about money, because Jerry Jones should be middle-to-bottom of a list that is about football operations. Any owner that interferes with football ops pretty well sucks, and the results bear out.
Old 09-03-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It depends on the criteria, I guess. If it's all about making money, then Bob will be top 5. If it's all about winning and/or football operations, then Bob's probably in the middle. I'm sure the list is about money, because Jerry Jones should be middle-to-bottom of a list that is about football operations. Any owner that interferes with football ops pretty well sucks, and the results bear out.
Not exactly true. If it is about an owner playing GM than Jerry gets some knocked off but if it is about making money for the league, making money for the franchise and promoting and doing things for the league than he is Top 3.
Old 09-03-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

It could even be higher. Apparently the guy polls other owners and I feel like McNair is extremely respected amongst the owners and league office. Plus we're considered a model franchise for the squeeky clean NFL image.
Old 09-03-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 224375 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Not exactly true. If it is about an owner playing GM than Jerry gets some knocked off but if it is about making money for the league, making money for the franchise and promoting and doing things for the league than he is Top 3.
Which is why I said ...

Quote:
I'm sure the list is about money, because Jerry Jones should be middle-to-bottom of a list that is about football operations.
Old 09-03-2009   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which is why I said ...
Well I consider "football operations" to include more than just GM type work. I mean it is broad to me. But he and McNair should be up there.

McNair is 6th

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
6. Houston Texans – Bob McNair: Did I just rank a man whose team has never reached the playoffs in the top 20 percent of his profession? Yep, and I don’t feel remotely bad about it, because McNair does everything the right way, is in it for the long haul and will surely taste on-the-field success one of these years. (To see if I think 2009 is that year, tune in to The Gameface on Friday.) There’s nothing I don’t like about McNair’s approach – he’s good at making money, he spends it willingly, he’s not overly meddlesome and he always takes the league’s overall interests to heart. Even on the rare occasions when I’m critical, as with the franchise’s decision to draft Mario Williams(notes) rather than hometown hero Vince Young(notes) with the No. 1 overall in 2006, the man ends up looking correct in the end. Trust me, McNair’s a winner – it just hasn’t happened yet.
Jerry #2..#1 was Kraft

Quote:
2. Dallas Cowboys – Jerry Jones (Stephen Jones): Think that uproar over the height of the massive video screens at Cowboys Stadium and their potential for deflecting punts is stressing out Jones? Hold on while I let out a Texas-sized guffaw. It doesn’t take a marketing genius (a term that happens to apply to Jerry and his eldest son, Stephen, the team’s executive vice president and stadium point man) to realize that any criticism about the facility’s construction plan are more than offset by the abundant publicity resulting from the controversy. After building the most impressive sports facility on the continent, the Joneses deserve to have a little fun in the sun – depending upon whether the roof is open or closed. Lampoon Jerry Jones all you want, and try to write off his three Super Bowl championships as the product of Jimmy Johnson’s greatness, and you’ll drown in a sea of cliché and superficiality. These are the facts about Jones: Over the past two decades no owner has been bolder (beginning with the out-of-the-blue hiring of Johnson in 1989); no owner has done more to move the league from its de facto communism of the pre-salary-cap era to the more entrepreneurial present; nobody has been as willing to put his wealth, reputation and vision on the line in the pursuit of winning. That doesn’t mean Jones will always do things the way you (or I) insist he should. I’d love to see him hire a Dimitroff-type executive and trust him to run the personnel operation, and I wish he hadn’t have bit on the Roy Williams trade. But if I were a Cowboys fan, I’d get down on my knees and thank the football gods for sending Jerry and his family to North Texas, and none of you will ever convince me otherwise. Among his many recent accomplishments: Jones, as chairman of the NFL Network, joined forces with Goodell to settle a long-running dispute with Comcast after successfully demonstrating that customers would cancel their cable service if denied access to the channel. Said one rival owner: “You’ve got to give it up for Jerry. The stadium’s spectacular. Four words: Big vision, big testicles.”
Old 09-03-2009   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

I love it, McNair fly's as under the radar as the Texans. Only difference, he's got the respect. Basically saying "Bob's doing everything right... that's really all I know about him."

oh, and if you wanted to know the rest:

16. Denver Broncos – Pat Bowlen
15. Kansas City Chiefs – Clark Hunt
14. Atlanta Falcons – Arthur Blank
13. Seattle Seahawks – Paul Allen
12. Green Bay Packers – Green Bay Packers Inc. (Mark Murphy)
11. Philadelphia Eagles – Jeffrey Lurie
10. Baltimore Ravens – Steve Bisciotti
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Bryan, Joel and Ed Glazer
8. Washington Redskins – Dan Snyder
7. Indianapolis Colts – Jimmy Irsay
6. Houston Texans – Bob McNair
5. New York Giants – John Mara/Steve Tisch
4. Pittsburgh Steelers – Dan Rooney/Art Rooney II
3. Carolina Panthers – Jerry Richardson
2. Dallas Cowboys – Mister Burns
1. New England Patriots – Robert Kraft (Jonathan Kraft):
Old 09-03-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Valuation:
The Texans are ranked 6th both in 2008 and 2009. Gurls were / are ranked 1.

Total Revenue generated:
1. Washington Redskins $ 345m
2. New England Patriots $ 302m
3. Dallas Cowboys $ 280m
4. Houston Texans $ 256m

Operating Income:
Heading into the 2008 season the Texans ranked 2nd in opertating income (43.9 mill). Heading into this season the Texans dropped to 10th (41.5).

Dallas ranked 10th in 2008 at 30.6 million and drastically fell to 29th (9.2) heading into 2009 - only ahead of Minnesota (8.2), Seattle (-2.4) and Oakland (-5.7).
Old 09-03-2009   #10
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah umm... Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, and McNair in the top 10? Clearly money was the focus.

For my money I'd put Steelers #1 and GB #2. The Rooneys are a model for any owner in any sport. And GB's ownership model deserves huge respect.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #11
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

out of the top 16, not sure about:

Jerrah and the boys - just get a real coach, should improve tremendously
Snyder and the skins - to throw all that money around and nothing to show, iffy.
Glazers and the bucs - meh - we'll see, kinda iffy - but has brought back the franchise
Bowlen and the broncs - tell recently, yeah - but now, not so sure.

If you didn't check the article, he was grading on
Quote:
attempt to answer a basic question: If you were a fan of this team, how would you feel about having this person in charge of the franchise? I’m also influenced by the impact these respective owners have upon the NFL as an entity, and I give high marks to those who get the most out of their brand and spend a significant share of the revenues they accrue attempting to enhance the product.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #12
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, but as nuts as Al Davis is, The Fords have ruined the Detroit Lions and have no Super Bowl appearances EVER. 0-16. Not even Al accomplished those 'feats.'

My best friend, a diehard Lion fan, has told me he doesn't care anymore until the Fords are gone. He can't take it anymore. After 25 years, he's been beaten into submission, and like a lot of other Lion fans, was actually OK with 0-16, so it would cement the Fords' legacy.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #13
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am surprised to see that D. Snyder is as high up on that list as he is. I would have figured him more toward the bottom. I guess factoring in revenue and marketing helped boost him towards the top. If that list was based on football decisions he would be towards the bottom IMO.

It did seem like the author of that article was drinking some Jerry Juice though. I do not deny that JJ is a successful owner, and he does have 3 super-bowls to his name, but it seems like a lot of the accolades showered upon him at the #2 spot were based on his new stadium. Oh well pretty shiny stuff impresses some more then it does others.
Old 09-03-2009   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=ESAD2-14;1240090]I am surprised to see that D. Snyder is as high up on that list as he is. I would have figured him more toward the bottom. I guess factoring in revenue and marketing helped boost him towards the top. If that list was based on football decisions he would be towards the bottom IMO.

It did seem like the author of that article was drinking some Jerry Juice though. I do not deny that JJ is a successful owner, and he does have 3 super-bowls to his name, but it seems like a lot of the accolades showered upon him at the #2 spot were based on his new stadium. Oh well pretty shiny stuff impresses some more then it does others.[/QUOTE

I disagree. Jerry has alot of power for a reason. He makes a ton of money for the NFL.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #15
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree. Jerry has alot of power for a reason. He makes a ton of money for the NFL.
You won't get an argument out of me on that, facts are facts and JJ brings in the cash. I was just saying that Michael Silver, the author of the article, seemed to lavish a lot of his praise on JJ because of the stadium. Silver seemed to get a little goo goo eyed with his description of JJ at #2.

I'm not taking a shot at the Cowboys, this time

Last edited by ESAD2-14; 09-03-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: cuz I can.
ESAD2-14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read