Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2009   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default James Casey to Start at Fullback Against Tampa

Fullback seems like a better place for Casey to play than tight end, if you ask me. I hope Casey gets a lot of reps on Friday.

As a fullback, he could end up in motion, he could set up as a flanker, or the QB could go in motion and he could take a direct snap in a Wildcat type formation. And of course he can do all of the normal fullback stuff, like block, run the ball, and catch passes out of the backfield.

This is really quite exciting.

Quote:
Texans' Cushing will remain out of lineup against Bucs

Outside linebacker Brian Cushing, the Texans' first-round draft choice, will not play in the last preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday.

Tight end James Casey, the fifth-round pick, will start but at fullback in place of the injured Vonta Leach.

Coach Gary Kubiak is resting many of the starters, opening the door for players like Casey to get their most playing time of preseason.

Cushing, who hasn't played in preseason because of a sprained knee, worked out hard during and after practice today.

"I'm 100 percent, but I don't think I'll be playing," Cushing said. "I feel great, but I think we're going to rest my knee one more week. I'm working at full speed. I'm putting the pads on. I don't feel any pain. I'm happy about how I feel.I'm 100 percent."

Leach has a bruised knee but even if he had been healthy he wouldn't have played.

"I'm excited about this opportunity," Casey said. "It's a great opportunity for me. The game is one day before the final cuts are made, and it's like my Super Bowl.

"I feel comfortable with my assignments at fullback. I'm excited about playing tight end, too. Even though a lot of starters aren't going to play, it's still against NFL players."

Last edited by MojoMan; 09-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #2
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Casey to Start at Fullback Against Tampa

Wow! A good reason to watch the game now. Casey was one of my favorite Texan pics in the draft! I hope he does well!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #3
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

(from the quote) I can't believe that they aren't even going to give Cushing a single series of gametime during the pre-season. IMHO - ANY player (no matter the round taken) needs to experience NFL "game speed" before taking snaps in the regular season. Same for Dunta (if he ever signs his tender).

Do you really want the Texans to potentially start 2/11 defensive starters who've sat out the ENTIRE pre-season? It seems to be asking for trouble.

As for Casey, let's see exactly how versatile this kid really is! Any news on the severity of Leach's injury?
Old 09-02-2009   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Stand Leach next to Casey and have 100 people pick TE or FB and I bet 99% get Leach - FB and Casey - TE. Casey can play some h-back formations like OD has done but he is no FB as an ordinary position.
Old 09-02-2009   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

edit

Last edited by Scooter; 09-02-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Stand Leach next to Casey and have 100 people pick TE or FB and I bet 99% get Leach - FB and Casey - TE. Casey can play some h-back formations like OD has done but he is no FB as an ordinary position.
Casey = Wycheck. The redskins back in the 90's used this position to the utmost, the Colts have used it some.
Old 09-02-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The #1 responsibility of FBs in our system is to block. I dunno, can Casey block ? Has he even attempted a block in the NFL ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2009   #8
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The #1 responsibility of FBs in our system is to block. I dunno, can Casey block ? Has he even attempted a block in the NFL ?
Great point and great questions. Obviously, we will see on Friday.

In the role of a pure blocking back, which has been the primary role of a fullback on the Texans, Casey is not going to unseat Leach. But there are a lot of plays when the Texans go without a fullback. If they started using Casey on more of those plays, they could add a dimension to the Texans offense that we have not seen before, or probably even really thought very much about.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I like how Casey acts as if he's on the bubble even though I think he's a lock for the roster already... good attitude to have
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

With his versatility, Casey will probably end up as our "concealed" weapon. But, we need a " 44 Magnum" clearing the field for our RBs.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Arian Foster can stick his shoulder into a blitzer and crumble the dude...

...then I bet James Casey would VAPORIZE someone.

I am s-t-o-k-e-d to see Casey in the FB role.
Old 09-02-2009   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Especially a block in open space rather than off the line
Old 09-03-2009   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Do you really want the Texans to potentially start 2/11 defensive starters who've sat out the ENTIRE pre-season? It seems to be asking for trouble.
It's not a case of wanting to start 2 guys who haven't seen action. There's really little choice. The Texans are razor thin on defense. Robinson is and Cushing should be among their top 5 defenders. The Texans just can't afford to leave them off the field, else they're really asking for trouble.
Quote:
I think the FB in the ZBS is overrated, anyway. With a back like Slaton, you want the defense stretched across the field. And that's best accomplished with a 2 TE or even 3 WR set. In a short yardage run, you want your RB following a big FB like Leach into the hole. In a typical ZBS run, the RB will look for a crease anywhere.

With Casey on the field at FB (or H-back or whatever name you want to use), he becomes a mismatch for a LB in the passing game. With both Daniels and Casey on the field, the Texans could show a 4 WR look versus a base defense. Moving both Casey and Daniels in the slot would spread the defense and really open up the middle for Slaton. Between the 20's, Casey makes more sense than Leach.
Old 09-03-2009   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
With Casey on the field at FB (or H-back or whatever name you want to use), he becomes a mismatch for a LB in the passing game. With both Daniels and Casey on the field, the Texans could show a 4 WR look versus a base defense. Moving both Casey and Daniels in the slot would spread the defense and really open up the middle for Slaton. Between the 20's, Casey makes more sense than Leach.
That is a very good point! Casey at FB brings a jack-of-all-trades close to the ball making the offense harder to predict.
Old 09-03-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I want to see this, and I want to see Schaub using audibles.

This offense needs to throw a look out there (OD and Thor in the slot) and then keep the defense guessing if it's going to be a run by Slaton, or a play-action pass that sees OD and/or Thor slip behind the hesitant LBs.

Even better, start OD and Thor out at the slot, then audible Thor into motion so that he ends up lined up as a FB behind Schaub. Then throw Slaton into motion so he ends up at the slot with OD. Slip-screen to Slaton with OD blocking. Or a fake pass and then shovel pass to Thor as he moves past Schaub and into the middle of the dline.

Slaton/OD/Casey combination of plays could keep defenses honest, and that opens up AJ on some of those plays where we keep that look out there. Especially in a 2-minute situation where the defense is trying to keep everything in front of them.

It could provide a whole laundry list of possibilities for our offense.
Old 09-03-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Using an AJ/Walter/OD/Casey/Slaton set, you really have a good shot of picking up critical first downs.

Those three guys can all latch onto the ball if it comes their way.
Old 09-03-2009   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Using an AJ/Walter/OD/Casey/Slaton set, you really have a good shot of picking up critical first downs.

Those three guys can all latch onto the ball if it comes their way.
???

In my part of Texas, that count is five
Old 09-03-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If Arian Foster can stick his shoulder into a blitzer and crumble the dude...

...then I bet James Casey would VAPORIZE someone.

I am s-t-o-k-e-d to see Casey in the FB role.
Blocking is alot about effort. I think with Casey's physique and attitude, he should be an ok blocker. He also keeps a D honest. If you put the wrong guy on him, later.
Old 09-03-2009   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Blocking is alot about effort. I think with Casey's physique and attitude, he should be an ok blocker. He also keeps a D honest. If you put the wrong guy on him, later.
Yessir, I believe getting in someone's way is just about effort and attitude. From more than one person who has seen him up close, the guy is built like a truck. Frankly, if big and fast hits me I'm probably going backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian cushing
"I'm 100 percent, but I don't think I'll be playing," Cushing said. "I feel great, but I think we're going to rest my knee one more week. I'm working at full speed. I'm putting the pads on. I don't feel any pain. I'm happy about how I feel.I'm 100 percent."
I think this has been true for a while now. I believe if these past games had been of the regular season sort we'd have seen him on the field. Heard it in the wind that he only wears the brace when cameras are around....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

My only worry is at the endof the year we'll hear Kubiak say "We should have used this kid more offten." Like Walter, Diles, ect... Ihope we use weapons i n creative ways.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read