Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-02-2009   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Spotlighting Duane Brown from the MNF game

I started re-watching the MNF game with the intent to keep my eye on a couple of other players, but the guy (aside from DeJesus 59) that is jumping off the screen, is Duane Brown. He didn't just have a good game - he's often DOMINANT in this game... plus, as was discussed in a previous thread, he's also developing quite a mean streak and "enforcer" type attitude.

Also, I'd add to that - the guy looks like he could become a quite a leader.

I was never against the drafting of Brown - but he was not even on my radar as a possibility for the Texans, I must admit. I don't buy into all the reasons why he gave up so many sacks last year, but MY GOD he looked GREAT against ELITE competition on Monday night.

This guy is going to be a Texan for a long, long time.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Spotlighting Duane Brown from the MNF game

I haven't re-watched the game yet but I will. He stood out to me as well watching it live. He handled Allen very well, including a pancake block he put on him that they showed a replay of. I didn't key in on him every play or anything but his effort and performance made an very good impression during my normal viewing of the game.
Old 09-02-2009   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I started re-watching the MNF game with the intent to keep my eye on a couple of other players, but the guy (aside from DeJesus 59) that is jumping off the screen, is Duane Brown. He didn't just have a good game - he's often DOMINANT in this game... plus, as was discussed in a previous thread, he's also developing quite a mean streak and "enforcer" type attitude.

Also, I'd add to that - the guy looks like he could become a quite a leader.

I was never against the drafting of Brown - but he was not even on my radar as a possibility for the Texans, I must admit. I don't buy into all the reasons why he gave up so many sacks last year, but MY GOD he looked GREAT against ELITE competition on Monday night.

This guy is going to be a Texan for a long, long time.
What I noticed is that he finished the play with an extra shove . That's what Erik Williams of Dallas used to do , block his guy and give him an extra push for good measure .
Old 09-02-2009   #4
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude was simply a beast...
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was definitely in the very minority who actually target him for the LT position in our scheme.

I hoped that we didn't have to spend a first rounder, but LTs was falling wayside by the bunches!

I didn't like the fact that he reported to camp heavier than his playing weight (and couldn't adjust it during the regular season, especially in the early going).

I had emphasized before pre-season that he can get beat off the edge by the quick-twitch guys.
Then I had warned during pre-season that he also needs to watch the inside move.
(I had a "healthy" discussion with a poster named YoungTexanFan).

I did not want Brown to start early in the season, especially against a 3-4 like the Steelers.

But I have always stood by that pick for the long term future of the Texans.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

On the 1st day of the open training camp, i waited for the one on ones of the big guys. And Brown v Mario was not a disappointment. I yell to Brown after the rep, it shows we can see the work you've done. He just smiled and got ready for his next rep.

Told everyone I knew at the practice, don't worry about Brown, he's got it figured out.

He is going to be a rock for us for year to come. Finally.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #7
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I was definitely in the very minority who actually target him for the LT position in our scheme.

I hoped that we didn't have to spend a first rounder, but LTs was falling wayside by the bunches!

I didn't like the fact that he reported to camp heavier than his playing weight (and couldn't adjust it during the regular season, especially in the early going).

I had emphasized before pre-season that he can get beat off the edge by the quick-twitch guys.
Then I had warned during pre-season that he also needs to watch the inside move.

I did not want Brown to start early in the season, especially against a 3-4 like the Steelers.

Brown was on my radar, in fact I told some people during the Shrine game that we were watching our future tackle. I just had him targeted as a 3rd rounder, who needed work, but with a very high upside.

Was not happy with the timing of the selection, but glad we landed him.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post

Now that it's 2009, I'm glad that he did get that experience though. Clearly it didn't set him back in terms of confidence. Instead, he was obviously highly motivated to lose some weight, get quicker, and work on technique. I know Freeney was very impressed with him last season. I think the entire league will be this season.

Unfortunately, as a Texan fan, I've been this excited about a LT twice : the first time was in 2002 when we drafted Boselli. The second was in 2006 after watching Spencer play in the preseason. Surely the law of averages are in our favor this time, right?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If he is our LT long term I am relieved. Now if we can just find a DT....
Old 09-02-2009   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Now that it's 2009, I'm glad that he did get that experience though. Clearly it didn't set him back in terms of confidence. Instead, he was obviously highly motivated to lose some weight, get quicker, and work on technique. I know Freeney was very impressed with him last season. I think the entire league will be this season.

Unfortunately, as a Texan fan, I've been this excited about a LT twice : the first time was in 2002 when we drafted Boselli. The second was in 2006 after watching Spencer play in the preseason. Surely the law of averages are in our favor this time, right?
Either the law of averages, or "third time's a charm". It's got to be one of them.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-02-2009   #11
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad to see a thread giving him some props. He looked pretty dang good against Allen, I came away impressed. Still need to see how he holds up for 4 quarters this year, but it sure does look like he's turning into the franchise LT we all wanted.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

The one thing I had agreed with Vinny was that our coaches didn't do right at the start of last year. They jeopardized our chances early on to give the young guys experience.

Obviously that was the tone I heard from the Kubiak camp ("we're still another year from contention", things like that), but I also remember so many Texan fans hoping otherwise. Of course, Kubiak couldn't just come out and say that we were still in rebuilding mode. They were doing the double, IMHO, wanting to put out a decent product for the fans with an eye for the future.

I'm still not sure about their consistency though, much as Kubiak always says about his players... yah we like to see "this guy" to be more consistent...

Yah, I like to see our FO and the coaches to be more consistent as they preached it, just the same!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I was saying this as one of the things that made me really happy about that game. DB showed up to play. I was very impressed and I'm feeling a lot better about the LT spot now.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow

A.Gibbs knows more about OL talent than some people (including me) on this MB.

Shocking I say just Shocking

SARCASM;
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the concensus here, Brown was a beast against Allen on Monday. The fact that this guy came into TC in shape, dropped weight, and gained quickness showed what he had been doing during the offseason. I applaud him for his dedication, hope that it rubs off on others.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I didn't see it. I'll rewatch the game again...... just because I love watching the Texans so much..... & I'll make a point to look at DB...
Old 09-02-2009   #17
DiehardChris
You betcha!

For the record and in the interest of showing all sides - Lance Zierlein does not share my enthusiasm. He thinks Duane was just okay - good on pass-pro, and not as good in the run blocking. When I was watching, I thought he looked pretty good in his run blocking, but LZ knows his stuff - especially when it comes to O-line play.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 09-02-2009   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris
For the record and in the interest of showing all sides - Lance Zierlein does not share my enthusiasm. He thinks Duane was just okay - good on pass-pro, and not as good in the run blocking. When I was watching, I thought he looked pretty good in his run blocking, but LZ knows his stuff - especially when it comes to O-line play.
Buzz kill...

Lol
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Well to be fair, there isn't going to be many lineman this year that will be good at run blocking against the Vikings. That Dline is just flat out nasty against the run. One day I hope we can be as strong against he run as they are......especially up the middle.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you want the DL to be like the Vikings they need to add two 340lbs guys that are as mean as HE**.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read