Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-09-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default Maurice Clarrett

If Clarrett drops say to the 5th or 6th round, do you guys think we should take him, and hope to get a kinda Drew Henson deal out of it. If he has a good pre-season and he becomes the player he had the potential to be at his short time at OSU we might be able to get a 2nd round pick for him, maybe more.
Old 02-10-2005   #2
TexansCanes
All Pro

i don't think we could get a 2nd round pick for clarrett based on his play in the pre-season. also if we only got a 3rd rounder for a guy that could have been the first player taken and was out for three years what makes you think we can a 2nd rounder for a guy that would have been a 2nd rounder at best who hasn't played for 2 years and has off the field issues? also teams are more willing to take a chance on a qb will lots of potential than a rb that has injury and discipline problems. also clarrett is the kind of rb that capers wants so maybe if we did take him we wouldn't trade him.
Old 02-10-2005   #3
Rosusu
All Pro

I like Maurice, I think he has great potential and he could be a steal in the later rounds if he clears up some of his legal problems. It would also get us press which is always a good thing even if it is for something like drafting a troubled RB. He could probably learn a few things from modest and great players like Dre and others on the team. He would compliment with DD very well in the backfield IMO.
Old 02-10-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not mind to see us select him with our second 3rd round pick if he is on the table at that time. Publicly Casserly has only made a couple of vague statements about him but I think we may have an interest in him. I think we are going to see a ton of backs drafted in rounds 2 and 3 this year. I'm not real impressed with most of the other positions in this draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #5
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

You would be well served to draft him if he's there late.

I'll go out on a limb, he will outperform Tony hollings
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

personally i think clarett is a locker room poison but that hasn't seem to enter into ya'lls head...clarett was overrated during his freshman year...he was behind of the best o-lines in college that year...which 4 out of 5 of the o-lineman are on teams in the nfl...most of the big 10 that year was weak defensively...i mean come on this kid is nothing but a punk i wouldn't want him on my team...he needs to go to the raiders
Old 02-10-2005   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

If we take a back in the 3rd Round I'd much rather see us spend it on Ciatrick Fason. I doubt we would draft him because he's very similar to DD as far as his strengths on the field. He seems to have a little more break away speed than DD, but DD is probably a better reciever out of the backfield. Both of them are pretty good at catching the ball, and gaining some yards after the catch. If we do draft Clarett I'd rather get him in the 2nd day of the draft where he'd be more of a value pick. Late 4th to early 5th wouldn't be unreasonable. There are a lot of good backs in this draft, and I think there will still be some good ones on the board as late as the 5th or possibly 6th round.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2005   #8
TexansCanes
All Pro

i don't like him enough to take him the 3rd, i would much rather have ciatrick. but if he is there in the 6th then i wouldn't care if we took him. i'll tell you that i don't like the guy at all, but he has a lot of potential, much more than anyone else at that pick. i will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he was just immature and will grow up when he gets to the nfl. he is a good player and we need good players.
Old 02-10-2005   #9
astrofan
Veteran

I agree that Fason would be a much better fit, but I would be surprised if he was on the board at 47 and I just can't imagine him being there in the third
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The 4 guys I'd like to take a shot with our late 3rd rd pick would be Clarett, Ced Houston, Ryan Moats, or Eric Shelton. Any one of these four would be very exciting to me if we selected one of them.

Old 02-10-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldnt mind him either. But I think Houston would be better. He wont have to "shake off the rust", and he is not as much of a head case. Both have unlimited upside IMO.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #12
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
The 4 guys I'd like to take a shot with our late 3rd rd pick would be Clarett, Ced Houston, Ryan Moats, or Eric Shelton. Any one of these four would be very exciting to me if we selected one of them.
Three pounders and Moats. Do you think we would pick a speed guy?
Old 02-10-2005   #13
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78
Lightbulb

i think DD will do us for next year, i think we should take an offensive line man or a saftey so we can get coleman back at corner.
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Three pounders and Moats. Do you think we would pick a speed guy?
Moats is someone to keep an eye on at the combine because I think he will be one of the rising backs and has the most burst of all the backs I listed. I still think Hollings will be our speed guy next season with us replacing Wells with a power back that runs like a power back.

Old 02-11-2005   #15
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
personally i think clarett is a locker room poison but that hasn't seem to enter into ya'lls head...clarett was overrated during his freshman year...he was behind of the best o-lines in college that year...which 4 out of 5 of the o-lineman are on teams in the nfl...most of the big 10 that year was weak defensively...i mean come on this kid is nothing but a punk i wouldn't want him on my team...he needs to go to the raiders
You must be a genious. Keep saying that O-line was amazing. They're all in the NFL, which one of them starts? I know teammates of his from Harding H.S. and your claims that he's a locker room poison don't seem to hold much weight. Really all you're doing is making accusations and hoping nobody calls you out on them.

I heard Andre Johnson is really hated by his teammates. The only reason his numbers are so good is because he plays against weak CBs. And he has one of the greatest QBs of all time.

(see how easy that was. And who cares if it's not true, maybe no one will call me out)
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #16
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
Keep saying that O-line was amazing. They're all in the NFL, which one of them starts?
Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Olivea was a starter for the Chargers last season as a rookie, and their line faired pretty well. Can't really think of any other former Buckeye starting OLinemen at the moment.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005   #17
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure Olivea was a starter for the Chargers last season as a rookie, and their line faired pretty well. Can't really think of any other former Buckeye starting OLinemen at the moment.
Alex Stepanovich and Shane Olivea started 16 games this year as rookies.
Yea, Clarett had a weak OL.
Old 02-11-2005   #18
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I could care less what Oline he was behind, he was a true freshmen and had a great season. I think Ohio St. is as much to blame for his problems, the only strike he has was trying to get into the league early. JMO
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #19
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I wouldn't take Clarrett with the last pick in the seventh round.

If he went undrafted I wouldn't invite him to camp.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Value for the pick ...... If he's still around @ the time the Texans come around with the Second of their 3rd round picks .... I Would Take a gamble on him . He has First Round Skills . IF he were to come in and put his nose to the grind stone could become a feature back in the NFL . He is the kind of back the Texans lack and that Capers likes . Sure he has made a few Questionable decisions but havent we all ....im NOT defending his actions but had he stayed in school and maintained the pace he set in his freshman year ..... would ANY of us question his value as a First Round Pick ..... Value For the Pick
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read