Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Isn't this what you asked for?

I re watched the first half. I want to comment on some positives but it's not going to be heard by this traumatized fan base.

In the shadow of another pre-season loss was a defense doing exactly what everybody on this board was begging for since, I dunno at least 2007:

rush the passer check. consistent pressure (2 sacks) throughout the first half.

more aggressive attitude guys flying to the ball. laying people out. picking fights etc.

more disguised defenses guys faking blitzes 9-10 guys on the ball but only rushing four or five or six.. you don't know. snap it. find out.

more blitzing. effective blitzing check. Ryans had a sack unabated, Adibi had a clean shot on the QB. Quin was even in on a blitz.

"Did the defense over shoot some gaps? Did I see some sloppy tackling? You bet." thanks Gary now back to my point.

This defense is more risky than what we've seen in the last few years. They are going to give up some big plays but they are going to make some big plays too. I think that is exactly what I saw from them on Monday. I know everyone is panicking. I know, I know... we're never ever gonna be good. That's how you think when you're abused.

I'm concerned about the tackling too. I'm disappointed in Okoye too. I think Wilson played poorly too. But I see lots of things to be excited about too.

And I will refrain from fully passing judgment until I've seen a regular season game. I'm excited.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Isn't this what you asked for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I re watched the first half. I want to comment on some positives but it's not going to be heard by this traumatized fan base.

In the shadow of another pre-season loss was a defense doing exactly what everybody on this board was begging for since, I dunno at least 2007:

more aggressive attitude guys flying to the ball. laying people out. picking fights etc.

more disguised defenses guys faking blitzes 9-10 guys on the ball but only rushing four or five or six.. you don't know. snap it. find out.

more blitzing. effective blitzing check. Ryans had a sack unabated, Adibi had a clean shot on the QB. Quin was even in on a blitz.

"Did the defense over shoot some gaps? Did I see some sloppy tackling? You bet." thanks Gary now back to my point.

This defense is more risky than what we've seen in the last few years. They are going to give up some big plays but they are going to make some big plays too. I think that is exactly what I saw from them on Monday. I know everyone is panicking. I know, I know... we're never ever gonna be good. That's how you think when you're abused.

I'm concerned about the tackling too. I'm disappointed in Okoye too. I think Wilson played poorly too. But I see lots of things to be excited about too.

And I will refrain from fully passing judgment until I've seen a regular season game. I'm excited.

This is the first post game comment on today that I've responded to. I agree with you 100%.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You know, you are right. Perhaps we are so used to not having an agressive defense that we don't know how to understand that most aggressive defenses give up a big play here and there. I think it was more of the fact that we were just coming off the Saints game that looked pathetic and then the first play of the game give up that big Adrian Peterson run.

For me it was also the fact that Chris Brown was our most effective runner and that Matt Schaub got hurt.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

Yay for posts that make sense! This is exactly how I feel after this loss. If yesterday was September 13, then I would be a bit more concerned. I saw a defense that was trying to make a play. Almost every play I saw multiple Texans by the ball (unlike previous seasons...). Although they didn't do much to make sure the ballcarrier didn't get past them, the fact that they were there was satisfying to me. I'd say our defense now is 10x better than the one we saw on the field last year.
Old 09-01-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not an elite defense. We need to improve our tackling. Obviously the run defense isn't as good as you want it to be. Some of our players are underachieving. Some of them are overachieving. It's a better coached defense in so many ways I don't even want to go into them all. This defense is creating pressure. This defense is going to be harder to beat than ANYTHING the Texans have put on the field in years. Go back and watch some of the stunting on the front four. Mario's sack is nuts. He attacks the LT. When he doesn't get immediate pressure he turns and runs all the way around the pocket to sack the quarterback who is slowed by Antonio Smith swatting the ball while being blanketed by the RT.

I'm not saying the Texans D is good. I'm saying it's better. And as long as it continues to improve it's a positive.

It's a turned corner. That's not a moral victory. That's a fact.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 50432 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

I was actually expecting to see a lot more posts like this today. I was pretty stoked to see our defense blitzing effectively.
Old 09-01-2009   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked some of the things I saw on defense as well, lots to work on sure but it was nice seeing them apply some pressure to a good OL.
Old 09-01-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're not an elite defense. We need to improve our tackling. Obviously the run defense isn't as good as you want it to be. Some of our players are underachieving. Some of them are overachieving. It's a better coached defense in so many ways I don't even want to go into them all. This defense is creating pressure. This defense is going to be harder to beat than ANYTHING the Texans have put on the field in years. Go back and watch some of the stunting on the front four. Mario's sack is nuts. He attacks the LT. When he doesn't get immediate pressure he turns and runs all the way around the pocket to sack the quarterback who is slowed by Antonio Smith swatting the ball while being blanketed by the RT.

I'm not saying the Texans D is good. I'm saying it's better. And as long as it continues to improve it's a positive.

It's a turned corner. That's not a moral victory. That's a fact.
I hate to derail a thread, so should I just let this slide, Barrett?

We didn't stop them hardly, ya know.
They stopped themselves in the other 4 possessions they didn't score a TD in the first half!
I wouldn't say that giving up 17 points is better than what we did to the Titans and the Browns last year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, I ain't drinkin the Kool-aid yet. I a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. I enjoyed watching a few different looks by the D, but if a player fails his gap assignment....well, we've seen what happens....twice.

Call me spoiled if you must, but I want my defense solid against both the run and the pass. So far, it seems as if we made the run defense worse (if that's possible) while improving the pass rush.

We'll see what happens when the Jets come to town in order to see the entire scheme laid out on the field. That way there will be no excuses if we continue to get gashed.
Old 09-01-2009   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying this since last night.

I was pleasantly surprised by last night's performance.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Meh, I ain't drinkin the Kool-aid yet. I a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. I enjoyed watching a few different looks by the D, but if a player fails his gap assignment....well, we've seen what happens....twice.

Call me spoiled if you must, but I want my defense solid against both the run and the pass. So far, it seems as if we made the run defense worse (if that's possible) while improving the pass rush.

We'll see what happens when the Jets come to town in order to see the entire scheme laid out on the field. That way there will be no excuses if we continue to get gashed.
I can't say that our pass rush had improved.
That sack by Mario was due to a hold by Adibi on the receiver that didn't allow Favre to go there.

The second sack (by Demeco) was not a disguise at all.
He had shown blitz in that gap. And Quin had shown blitz on the edge as well.
Adrian Peterson just missed his blocking assignment and chose to take on Quin (whom the LT would take on).
You can see Favre talking to him (Peterson) afterward.
Old 09-01-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Harvin dropped a sure catch that would have been a TD in the end zone.

He also squatted on a third-down route just short of the marker that stopped another of their drives.

So really, we didn't stop them at all. Sorry to say that!
Old 09-01-2009   #13
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Good take, Barret. I hadn't really even thought about it that way yet.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #14
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I can't say that our pass rush had improved.
That sack by Mario was due to a hold by Adibi on the receiver that didn't allow Favre to go there.

The second sack (by Demeco) was not a disguise at all.
He had shown blitz in that gap. And Quin had shown blitz on the edge as well.
Adrian Peterson just missed his blocking assignment and chose to take on Quin (whom the LT would take on).
You can see Favre talking to him (Peterson) afterward.
The pass rush was much better. I don't see how you can come to the that conclusion, when we had 4 sacks last night (2 on favre),also having I believe it was 3 or 4 more hits on him, and multiple hurries. And it wouldn't have mattered even if Peterson would have taken on Demeco because Favre would have been sacked anyway by Mario who was coming in from the edge.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #15
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Harvin dropped a sure catch that would have been a TD in the end zone.

He also squatted on a third-down route just short of the marker that stopped another of their drives.

So really, we didn't stop them at all. Sorry to say that!
I keep hearing that Harvin dropped the pass from Favre. He didn't drop that pass. It was just out of the reach of his fingertips. McCain had pretty decent coverage on him that play.
Old 09-01-2009   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I keep hearing that Harvin dropped the pass from Favre. He didn't drop that pass. It was just out of the reach of his fingertips. McCain had pretty decent coverage on him that play.
Bull.... Farve threw it too far. If he & Harvin were on the same page, that's a TD, and our corner couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't on Harvin.... McCain was beat.... that one was on Farve.

But...... I agree for the most part, that we showed promise. I remember at least twice, where we dropped their running backs for a loss. I remember a coverage sack, which I've never seen, we had good pressure on the QB, for the most part.
Old 09-01-2009   #17
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Yeah. It was like 3 feet in front of him. Clearly not a drop. But hey. Why should the truth make any difference in here?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Bull.... Farve threw it too far. If he & Harvin were on the same page, that's a TD, and our corner couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't on Harvin.... McCain was beat.... that one was on Farve.

But...... I agree for the most part, that we showed promise. I remember at least twice, where we dropped their running backs for a loss. I remember a coverage sack, which I've never seen, we had good pressure on the QB, for the most part.
And if Orlovsky and AJ had been on the same page on the overthrows...
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Jon Gruden: "Brett Favre threw the ball perfectly to the back corner of the end zone. Percin Harvin just has to make that catch."

The ball was right in his hands!
Old 09-01-2009   #20
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really have to agree I saw the defense act differently at the snap. Stunts and fakes and just overall more aggresvive. I'll take it. I watched Baltimore's defense the other night and wow, they are just all over the place. Our guys last night were at least bouncing around and not just standing in the same place every snap.

However, I think we need to ignore contract amounts and rookie learning curves and just bite the bullet on the D-line. Move Smith inside and make Barwin the starter.
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read