Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2009   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So did Amobi Akoye play well . . or not?

After browsing the threads, I'm reading comments that he played well, and comments that he didn't.

So which is it? If you thought he did, explain the reasons why? If you thought he didn't, explain the reasons why.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So did Amobi Akoye play well . . or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
After browsing the threads, I'm reading comments that he played well, and comments that he didn't.

So which is it? If you thought he did, explain the reasons why? If you thought he didn't, explain the reasons why.
I thought he flashed some of what we were expecting from him last night. He got 4 or 5 good pressures, and penetrated a few times in the running game. He played well laterally and made some nice diving plays to keep AP from breaking loose into the secondary for a big gain. He's still not exactly stout at the point of attack, and we may just have to be willing to accept that as a flaw in his game.

I would give him a B- for this game overall. Pretty good, but not a great game.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #3
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree with goatcheese. Nice post. Good game from amobi and entire D.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #4
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I thought he flashed some of what we were expecting from him last night. He got 4 or 5 good pressures, and penetrated a few times in the running game. He played well laterally and made some nice diving plays to keep AP from breaking loose into the secondary for a big gain. He's still not exactly stout at the point of attack, and we may just have to be willing to accept that as a flaw in his game.

I would give him a B- for this game overall. Pretty good, but not a great game.
I agree he definatly had some good pressures. The thing I was most impressed about was on the outside runs I could see him effectively moving through the trash and running sideline to sideline.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I saw Amobi in the backfield alot last night. Problem was the runningback was already past him.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I saw Amobi in the backfield alot last night. Problem was the runningback was already past him.
Sad but true...
Old 09-01-2009   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Just off the top of my head, I remember Okoye getting good pressure on a couple pass plays, and I remember some good backside pursuit (which we already knew he was good at). I also remember him running himself right out of a few plays.
Old 09-01-2009   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobi looked like a back up DT with potential to start one day in the NFL. In my mind a lot has changed week over week, but it sure does not make me feel better about our DT situation.

BTW, I believe Barwin is too disruptive to be off the field and we should try Smith at DT.
Old 09-01-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Just off the top of my head, I remember Okoye getting good pressure on a couple pass plays, and I remember some good backside pursuit (which we already knew he was good at). I also remember him running himself right out of a few plays.
These are the sort of things you would expect to see in an attacking defense. You attack the backfield, then try and make a play. Mario over ran plays, and went the wrong way a few times himself. It's the price we pay for dumping the read and react crap from the last few years in favor of a more aggressive playmaking style. This sort of defense is going to get more stops behind the line of scrimmage, but also stuff fewer runs at the line as a trade off. Personally I like it.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Old 09-01-2009   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
These are the sort of things you would expect to see in an attacking defense. You attack the backfield, then try and make a play. Mario over ran plays, and went the wrong way a few times himself. It's the price we pay for dumping the read and react crap from the last few years in favor of a more aggressive playmaking style. This sort of defense is going to get more stops behind the line of scrimmage, but also stuff fewer runs at the line as a trade off. Personally I like it.
Yep. I didn't say it was good or bad - the results will dictate that. I don't think Okoye had a bad game, but I don't think he had the results to say he had a good game, either. He showed me enough to put me back in "wait and see" mode. Besides, what choice do we have?
Old 09-01-2009   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yep. I didn't say it was good or bad - the results will dictate that. I don't think Okoye had a bad game, but I don't think he had the results to say he had a good game, either. He showed me enough to put me back in "wait and see" mode. Besides, what choice do we have?
Uncontrolled nerd rage all over the front page of Texans Talk?

Old 09-01-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Better than last week (can't get much worse), but still ain't good enough.
Old 09-01-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said a few days ago:

He isn't going to get his name in the papers on Monday.

He's what we call a "role player," or a "utility guy."

He's the guy who commands a double-team, and some other dlineman busts through and gets the tackle or sack.

I noticed it last night.

I think we're getting hung up on Amobi being Mario version 2.0, and we might need to settle for the idea that he's going to be the guy who occupies blockers.

There's lots of guys like him on other teams--guys who don't get the stats, or the notice, but who are actively helping the other players around them.

I'm not saying let's throw a pity party for poor Amobi, and that he's being scapegoated or anything. I think it just "is what it is," IMO.
Old 09-01-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Runs himself out of plays all the time and he is seemingly very easy to steer out of position. The Vikings offensive line had their way with him for the most part and every time I saw him in the backfield the ball was on it's way out or the back had already departed. I'm ready to see Smith and Robinson back there. Go with Williams-Robinson-Smith-Barwin and just see what happens.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read