Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2009   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve Slaton.....

Anybody else worried about our franchise back?

I know he didn't have many holes tonight, but this preseason it's obvious that the weight gain has taken away some of his quickness and explosiveness. I wasn't for the weight gain and I hope he can find his first step, his big plays were huge last year (He was single-handedly responsible for our leap to the #3 offense last year). So far this year he isn't making anybody miss.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-31-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: Steve Slaton.....

nah, i thought he played okay, especially against one of the best, if not the best defensive line in the nation...
Old 08-31-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we save our judgements for the regular season? Chris Johnson is averaging 2.2 ypc in preseason. Dear Lord we wanna jump the gun on so many guys and its freakin preseason.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #4
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

against the williams i didn't think he did too bad. didn't play great, but it IS preseason people.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, I think he looked like what he was drafted to be: a 3rd down back. I don't know if it's the extra weight or the weight of expectations, but something is slowing him down.
Old 08-31-2009   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
nah, i thought he played okay, especially against one of the best, if not the best defensive line in the nation...
He had a good goalline carry and that was it........but I'm not just talking about this game (that's not what this thread is about), I'm talking about all the carries he's had this preseason. It's obvious the guy is not as quick or elusive as last season.
Old 08-31-2009   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
To be honest, I think he looked like what he was drafted to be: a 3rd down back. I don't know if it's the extra weight or the weight of expectations, but something is slowing him down.
It's the weight.......it's the same thing that slowed him down his junior season and that's the reason why he fell to the third round. He was a Heisman hopeful before that.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2009   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
but it IS preseason people.
I am so sick of hearing that line.....and again, this thread isn't just about tonight's game. I don't even care about the yards per carry, I'm talking about the ovbious lack of last year's quickness and explosiveness.....anybody can see it.
Old 08-31-2009   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
It's the weight.......it's the same thing that slowed him down his junior season and that's the reason why he fell to the third round. He was a Heisman hopeful before that.
Then he should go visit Jenny Craig. He looked like a tugboat in dragrace....on LAND.
Old 08-31-2009   #10
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
He had a good goalline carry and that was it........but I'm not just talking about this game (that's not what this thread is about), I'm talking about all the carries he's had this preseason. It's obvious the guy is not as quick or elusive as last season.
true...but like what watts said, it is preseason.
Old 08-31-2009   #11
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried. Vikings have a stout run D. Slaton will be alright so long as he stays healthy.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Preseason doesn't have jack crap to do with a player looking slower and less agile than the year before. Read above, I'm not talking about his YPC, I'm talking about what I see when he's running the ball or trying to make someone miss. His cuts aren't as quick or as sharp.
Old 08-31-2009   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox View Post
not worried. Vikings have a stout run d. Slaton will be alright so long as he stays healthy.
again......

This thread isn't just about tonight's game.
Old 08-31-2009   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Not worried. Vikings have a stout run D. Slaton will be alright so long as he stays healthy.
He's looked slow all PS. He just had more touches to drop his YPC tonight.
Old 08-31-2009   #15
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anybody else worried about our franchise back?

I know he didn't have many holes tonight, but this preseason it's obvious that the weight gain has taken away some of his quickness and explosiveness. I wasn't for the weight gain and I hope he can find his first step, his big plays were huge last year (He was single-handedly responsible for our leap to the #3 offense last year). So far this year he isn't making anybody miss.
I've noticed it. I wasn't aware about any weight gain either. Why did he feel that he needed to do that?? He was just fine last season.

I haven't seen a lot of holes for him, but yeah he hasn't seemed to have that quick burst and shiftiness from before.

I'm really worried about this team right now in all aspects.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

He showed poor vision on some plays. He has been doing a lot of that this preseason. Hope they fix that. I can't tell if he has lost explosveness, he hasn't been in the open field enough for me to make a judgement on that.

Just in the second series he missed two good holes that he could have picked up 5 yards easily, without even getting touched, but he tried to bounce it or cut it back.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
Yeah, keep your head in the sand...

You know what I find absolutely Hilarious around here....

"OMG Barwin is for real, I'm sold....he's working his way into the starting lineup, he's the pass rusher we've needed"....yada yada yada

Then when a player/team is not playing as well....

"It's preseason..nothing to see here, walk along folks".

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-01-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The weight gain was for long-term purposes, so he can still break tackles in weeks 13,14,15 and so on... he didn't take a bigger workload (20+ carries) until the second half last season, this year he'll be expected to carry the full load all season. Chris Brown will get his carries as well as the other backs but Steve will be expected to carry the load and the weight will help when taking a full NFL season of hits.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87061 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, keep your head in the sand...

You know what I find absolutely Hilarious around here....

"OMG Barwin is for real, I'm sold....he's working his way into the starting lineup, he's the pass rusher we've needed"....yada yada yada

Then when a player/team is not playing as well....

"It's preseason..nothing to see here".
At least I'm not the only one that notices this.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read