Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2009   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans answered my questions

The Texans answered my questions tonight and I'm not nearly as worried as I was after the sAints game. They manned up and put forth a solid effort. AP's big run aside, they played a fairly nasty brand of PS D and had a solid O against one tough ass D. Missed tackles are still a concern, though. Is that a preseason " I'm not putting it all on the line" thing? If so, The REAL DR(Demeco, of course), MW and a couple others should kick some teammates asses tonight, in the locker room. THEY sure as hell laid it on the line. Here's how I saw the game:

DEFENSE:
Apart from AP's big run, they did pretty OK. We held him to 42 yds on 10 carries after that. Keepinng AP at 4.2 YPC has GOT to be considered a win. I'm chalking that 1st play up to shit happens in the PS. The rest of the way, I saw good effort, gang tackling, staying at home and sealing up the cut backs. I also saw some poor tackling on certain occasions that can be coached up and fixed in short order. The DL was also pretty damn good with the passrush. Favre's stats were improved by poor tackling, mostly in the secondary.
The LB corp looked very good. I would say incdredible, but there were some busted plays in coverage. Even by DR. All in all, I was impressed.

The secondary looked OK. I saw some good licks put on, but also saw a lot of that bullshit arm/push tackling. Very evident on Favre's last TB drive in the 1st half. The 3rd & long catch to Harvin was almost a 1st due to pure luck, IMHO. The TD pass was due to Wilson ole-ing Taylor. If Wilson had made even a passable effort at a tackle, it's 1st and goal, which beats the hell out of a TD.

On O, I thought the OL did a DAMN good job of pass blocking. That's one stout D they went against tonight. DB was outstanding, IMO. He did a VERY good job against the 2nd best DE in the business. We ALL know who the best is. LOL. I saw a good pocket, for the most part, and time for the QB to get through his reads.
Schaub looked a little shaky to start, but that was probably due to him wanting to move the team quickly and answer AP's TD. All in all, he looked good. I'm not sure about his ankle, though. Yeah, I liked seeing him come back out after that, but I would've been more impressed to see him play some in the 3rd. How would he do on a sore ankle after having half time for it to get cold and really painful? Playing in the 3rd would've answered mor questions about his toughness than coming back out on the next series. I know it's just PS, but we really need to know what he's made of.
Slaton looks S-L-O-W. Has he came back down to earth after a great rookie season? Is the extra weight slowing him down some? I don't know, but he isn't the same back he was last year. I hope CB continues to contribute. He's looking very good.
The receivers and TE's look ready for the season to begin. I saw good routes and good catches.
I was with my 3 month old daughter for most of the game, so I'll have to rewatch it and get a better feel for how it went, but I'm nowhere NEAR as down after this loss as I was last week.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
BorrowMe
Rookie

Rep Power: 316 BorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respectedBorrowMe is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans answered my questions

I was very satisfied with the D's agressievness, alot hard licks today. Really like that they manned up.
BorrowMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

How about that Brett Favre cheap shot on Eugine Wilson?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #4
SoCalTexanFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SoCalTexanFan was voted MVPSoCalTexanFan was voted MVPSoCalTexanFan was voted MVP

My questions were answered as well and I'm not as optimistic as you are. It looks like the same problems (Injured QB, can't stop the run, can't establish the run and just not TOUGH enough). You can't just take out the AP 75 yd run. That was probably the only play everyone really knocked heads and got after it. We got BEAT up front again. It's time to move A Smith inside and go with the rook opposite Mario. At least when Cushing and DR come back we'll be a little tougher on defense.

The offense can move the ball but how long will MS hold up. He sprung his ankle just running out of bounds. OUT OF BOUNDS. Thank god he didn't get hit.

Prediction: If the Texans don't get out to at least an 5 - 3 record, Kubiak will be fired. This team is NOT tough enough at the point of attack. The only guys who really bring it are D Ryan and A Johnson.
SoCalTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #5
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
fortunately he gave that block the same level of commitment as his last retirement, otherwise we'd have a roster space free.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hear tell that this is a family-oriented MB, so I'll just keep my mouth shut on that. If I had one of those Star Trek computers that can hear you, it would sound like morse code right now.
Old 08-31-2009   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I took a lot of positives out of the game tonight. And there is still a lot to work on as well. And I think we need to keep a keen eye on the waiver wire between now and Saturday. I will look at some of the analysis type threads in the next day or two and chime in with my input. But for now I am going to hop off the board and do something else, too much gloom and doom and the sky is falling crap going on right now.
Old 08-31-2009   #8
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel much better after the game than I did before the game and five minutes into the game .

Thoughts .

1. They should give Demeco a deal quickly and Owen to .

2. I agree about Duane Brown doing a nice job .

3. Amobi , Cody , Deljaun , Okam ,and JeffZ got a decent inside rush tonight .

4. Adibi should have toasted Favre if he got that call anyway .

5. I thought I was going to have a the way the game started but liked the the way they fought back after they settled down .
Old 08-31-2009   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTexanFan View Post
My questions were answered as well and I'm not as optimistic as you are. It looks like the same problems (Injured QB, can't stop the run, can't establish the run and just not TOUGH enough). You can't just take out the AP 75 yd run. That was probably the only play everyone really knocked heads and got after it. We got BEAT up front again. It's time to move A Smith inside and go with the rook opposite Mario. At least when Cushing and DR come back we'll be a little tougher on defense.

The offense can move the ball but how long will MS hold up. He sprung his ankle just running out of bounds. OUT OF BOUNDS. Thank god he didn't get hit.

Prediction: If the Texans don't get out to at least an 5 - 3 record, Kubiak will be fired. This team is NOT tough enough at the point of attack. The only guys who really bring it are D Ryan and A Johnson.
Go back and watch the 1st play again, if you can. That was the LEAST contested play we ran all night. We had some tackling problems after thaat, but nothing that can't be coached up and bitched out. It's fixable. I saw some mighty hits laid and some big wood brought tonight. Demeco, by FAR brought the most wood. The dude was a frigging redwood. I thought we did much better against the run minus AP's big play. Did you REALLY expect us to just shut down the BEST RB in the game? I didn't. No one else does, either. I, for one, was happy with what I saw tonight. I still have some concerns, but thay aren't as dire as they were 10 days ago.
Old 08-31-2009   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

The williams wall neutralized the entire running game. I think we'll just have to see what double S can do when it's for real.

The AP run was awful, and it sunk us for almost the entire half. After that we tightened down the run D and got some nice QB pressure which icluded LB's, a welcome addition. Ryans was playing lights out. Adibi looked nice.

I think that the offense will be fine and I hope that Schaub doesn't come back with a high ankle sprain. AJ is still a monster and OD is very impressive. I noticed that Schaub didn't target AJ much, and really I don't mind that.

Overall I think the defense that played tonight would've done a better job vs the s
Saints last week. Forever the optimist I suppose.
Old 08-31-2009   #11
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest question is Slaton. It looked like he didn't take one cut and go - he ran sideways too much when there was a crease. Hopefully he will shake off the rust and get going in the regular season. I know we were facing a tough run defense.
Old 08-31-2009   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

I just looked at the stats again, and if you take away the 75 yd run by AP, we held the Vikes to 3.6 YPC. If you give him a "modest 10 yd. gain, we still held them at 3.83 YPC. Not too shabby of a run D. AP busted one BIG play against us. NOT the end of the world. Holding one of the top tandems to under 4 YPC ( minus the big play) is oretty stout run defense. Factoring in the big play, I like what that says about the heart of this team. They didn't quit. They didn't throw in the towel. They went out and made some stops. Big plays happen. Barry Sanders lived at 18 carries for 30 yds until he'd bust 1 big play and get his yds around 100. I'll more than take that after the debacle last week.
Old 08-31-2009   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my personal favorite part of that whole thing was Jaws trying to sympathize with Farve. making him look like a victim. i may hate the rest of the analysts too but at least they didn't take that kind of bull and shot it down right as it came out of his mouth.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #14
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If they could just make simple tackeles, they would have looked that much better tonight.
I cant remember how many times I shook my head when a tackle should have been made and the vikings got at least a few extra yards.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read