Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2009   #1
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Our D still has a loooooong way to go

I was hoping to see this 'more aggressive' defense and have been nothing but dissapointed thus far. I guess they could still improve for the regular season but after watching defenses in the preseason like the Vikes, Giants, Ravens, etc. this team is no where near a D that is aggressive. Just sayin.....
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our D still has a loooooong way to go

What game are you watching?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #3
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you just start following the Texans because this D we're seeing is a hell of a lot more aggressive than what we did last year. We're still using the 8 yard cushions on the receivers but the blitzes we're running are extremely exotic by our usual Texans standards.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's watching the defense that's giving the Vikings 300 yards and 17 points so far. I think the technical term for this defense is "shit". We are in for a long, long season with this pack of stiffs serving as our defense. They can't tackle to save their lives just like Richard Smith's version of this mess.

I'm so pissed off right now for believing in these guys. They are so soft and just incompetent tacklers.

Amobi is lost. I'm so disgusted with that kid. I've been watching him all night and he's essentially useless. He just gets steered out of plays with what appears to be almost no effort. Hell, half the time he takes himself out of the play. When they send him packing ala TJ next year or the year after I'm going to be so sick. Until then I'm going to watch him suck and "be so sick". Classic damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't project that we foolishly gambled on.
Old 08-31-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Did you just start following the Texans because this D we're seeing is a hell of a lot more aggressive than what we did last year. We're still using the 8 yard cushions on the receivers but the blitzes we're running are extremely exotic by our usual Texans standards.
Yes, more aggressive. Just as ineffective of course but definitely more aggressive. They can't tackle anybody. Nobody can wrap up the ball carrier.
Old 08-31-2009   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes, more aggressive. Just as ineffective of course but definitely more aggressive. They can't tackle anybody. Nobody can wrap up the ball carrier.
I think you're being overly harsh.
Old 08-31-2009   #7
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about football? You watch a team like the Giants, Vikes, or maybe the Eagles and you tell me our D is on the same level as that.

Yeah we started making some plays as the Vikes game has progressed but we still got a long way to go. I'm an optomist when it comes to my boys but i'm also keepin it real. They just aint there quite yet. Period.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2009   #8
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

We're only a good DT and a SS and a FS and a couple of good CB's until we're at the level of those defenses you mention. Check back in 3 drafts and we'll have all those holes filled then we can start worrying. Until then just enjoy these exotic blitzes we're seeing and Amobi getting completely blasted out of plays in microseconds. Also take joy in the .3 turnovers our defense forces a game. Go Houston Titans!!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think you're being overly harsh.
I disagree. After four years I recognize what I'm seeing. They're winning more downs than they did before but they still tackle like shit and drives go on, and on, and on.
Old 08-31-2009   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about football? You watch a team like the Giants, Vikes, or maybe the Eagles and you tell me our D is on the same level as that.

Yeah we started making some plays as the Vikes game has progressed but we still got a long way to go. I'm an optomist when it comes to my boys but i'm also keepin it real. They just aint there quite yet. Period.
You're new here but we don't go in for personal attacks. Yes. I have watched a couple of games in my life.

And no, I'm not saying that we're on the same level as any of those defenses. I'm saying that we don't HAVE to be on the level of that to be very successful.

Was the Rams defense that good when they had the greatest show on turf? If our defense can go from a the bottom third to the middle third of the league, we can have a very good season.
Old 08-31-2009   #11
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post

Making a good name for yourself newbie.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
You're new here but we don't go in for personal attacks. Yes. I have watched a couple of games in my life.

And no, I'm not saying that we're on the same level as any of those defenses. I'm saying that we don't HAVE to be on the level of that to be very successful.

Was the Rams defense that good when they had the greatest show on turf? If our defense can go from a the bottom third to the middle third of the league, we can have a very good season.

I tend to agree with you but I don't see players out there doing anything that would inspire me to think that's going to happen now. We'll finish 20th maybe. Maybe 19th. We didn't change much when we promoted Frank Bush from within and all those years of being pretty much incapable of drafting defensive talent are catching up to us.

So we get Dunta back and he's rusty as hell and useless until he gets up to speed and even then it's not like he's Asomugha or something. He's just Dunta Robinson and he doesn't shut anybody down. He just hits them really hard after they catch the pass and move the chains. So we get Cushing finally and he's a rookie so he's going to be making some rookie mistakes for a while. Between the two of them we're not going to be getting any better over the next 4 weeks. Our safety play is pathetic. Our run defense is embarrassing. Our tackling is comical to say the least. We need at least one CB, a FS, SS, AND a pair of DT's minimum. That's just on defense.

Two worrying issues on the other side are the fact that Schaub is made of glass and Slaton looks very Wali Lundy like for some reason. He appeared slow and indecisive to me tonight. Chris Brown should have little trouble taking Slaton's place as the starter if Steve doesn't get it together.

I'm depressed. This game was like a mini version of the first four weeks of last season to me.
Old 08-31-2009   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The Rams Defense wasn't all that bad...... the Colts Defense would have been a much better comparison. Indy ruled the AFC South for years, with a sub-par D.

If we can break even with Indy, and outscore Tennessee, we're looking pretty good.
Old 08-31-2009   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I tend to agree with you but I don't see players out there doing anything that would inspire me to think that's going to happen now. We'll finish 20th maybe. Maybe 19th. We didn't change much when we promoted Frank Bush from within and all those years of being pretty much incapable of drafting defensive talent are catching up to us.

So we get Dunta back and he's rusty as hell and useless until he gets up to speed and even then it's not like he's Asomugha or something. He's just Dunta Robinson and he doesn't shut anybody down. He just hits them really hard after they catch the pass and move the chains. So we get Cushing finally and he's a rookie so he's going to be making some rookie mistakes for a while. Between the two of them we're not going to be getting any better over the next 4 weeks. Our safety play is pathetic. Our run defense is embarrassing. Our tackling is comical to say the least. We need at least one CB, a FS, SS, AND a pair of DT's minimum. That's just on defense.

Two worrying issues on the other side are the fact that Schaub is made of glass and Slaton looks very Wali Lundy like for some reason. He appeared slow and indecisive to me tonight. Chris Brown should have little trouble taking Slaton's place as the starter if Steve doesn't get it together.

I'm depressed. This game was like a mini version of the first four weeks of last season to me.
20th is out of the bottom third and into the middle third.

After that first big play, our run defense calmed down. We were still over-pursuing sometimes on plays and we were going for big hits instead of wrapping up but overall, I think this defense is head and shoulders better than what we put on the field last year. I think we're going to get a lot more turnovers, a lot more pressures, and more stops on 3rd down.

And our offense was going against a damned good defense. Granted, I haven't seen the burst from Slaton, yet. But I'm not too worried about the offense, yet. Our line was going against a damned fine d-line and for the most part, we held up.
Old 08-31-2009   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Rams Defense wasn't all that bad...... the Colts Defense would have been a much better comparison. Indy ruled the AFC South for years, with a sub-par D.

If we can break even with Indy, and outscore Tennessee, we're looking pretty good.
That first year, the Rams defense was protected by the offense. It finished top 10 in points and yards but the next year, it collapsed utterly.

But you're right, the Colts D was a better comparison.
Old 08-31-2009   #16
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
20th is out of the bottom third and into the middle third.

After that first big play, our run defense calmed down. We were still over-pursuing sometimes on plays and we were going for big hits instead of wrapping up but overall, I think this defense is head and shoulders better than what we put on the field last year. I think we're going to get a lot more turnovers, a lot more pressures, and more stops on 3rd down.

And our offense was going against a damned good defense. Granted, I haven't seen the burst from Slaton, yet. But I'm not too worried about the offense, yet. Our line was going against a damned fine d-line and for the most part, we held up.
Yup, if you approach it mathematically, you have 32 teams.

1st third=1-10
2nd third=11-21
3rd third=22-32

So, to be a 2nd tier team we need to be at worst 21st of 32. To be a solid team you want to be in the middle of that group, say around 15.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Pencil Neck,

It would be hard bent to think that if we saw the first teamers of the Cowboys or the Titans missing as many tackles so badly, we would not have a 10 page thread of nothing but derogatory ridicule. I don't think that it's a stretch to be quite concerned specifically about that aspect of the game. It seems that players have still not learned well and the coaches still have not taught well............and Demeco is one of the "self taught" prodigies. You can't pick up the "aggressiveness" in lieu of or in exchange for losing the basics. And that's what has apparently occurred.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #18
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

amobi looked like a boy playing football with men out there.. not good
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we brought a lot more pressure today than I have seen in the last 2 years. These guys need to run a lot because of all the missed tackles. Just poor fundamentals. The run D was much better than the Saints game.

We desperately need new safeties and better DT depth.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #20
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario williams might actually be too good. Hear me out. He gets so much penetration and push off the snap, he ends up behind the qb and has to get back up to him.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read