Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2009   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JS: Will the real Texans show up tonight?

Latest Jerome Solomon article. Click the link at the bottom to read the entire article please. Over at Texanstv we can see Kubiak stating that the starters will play for 3 quarters and we should see some "new faces" in there.

Quote:
Kubiak needs to see attitude and toughness from his squad.

Getting off to a good start this season is one of Kubiak's top goals. The schedule sets up well — on paper, at least — for a solid start.
September is key

Fans often talk about the Texans not having played any meaningful games in December. Well, they have played a lot of meaningful games in September and lost most of them. That is why those late-season contests have been for pride only.

While the Texans are 10-5 in December under Kubiak, they are only 3-9 in the first month of the season.

Actually, the Texans have never gotten out of the first month of the season with a winning record. Eight seasons in, isn't it about time for that pitiful run to end?

After tonight we'll know just how ready these Texans are for the 2009 season.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6594460.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JS: Will the real Texans show up tonight?

I don't care what the score at the end of the game is but I kinda care about the score at the start of the 4th quarter. If a bunch of depth/sub players lose a lead in preseason big whoop. Turn the engines on, make sure they'll run properly, shut 'em down. If it's 17-14 Texans at the start of the 4th I'll mark that down as a win.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the "historically" real Texans have been showing up.

What I'd like to see is each player exerting max effort like they are trying to earn their spot on the team. I suggest a trip to the local coffee shop for a quadruple espresso just before game time.

Talk is cheap. It's time for the players to act like contenders.
Old 08-31-2009   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

This article is two weeks to soon.
Old 08-31-2009   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think the "historically" real Texans have been showing up.
That's what I was going to say. I feel like the real Texans have been showing up; they just haven't played three quarters yet. The defense has done this preseason what the defense has done for the past two seasons. The "new" DC, who is really one of the old defensive coaches, even told us that the defense was the same.

I'm not too worried about offense, as long as they cure the turnover bug, which hasn't been an issue thus far, with the small sample size.
Old 08-31-2009   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's what I was going to say. I feel like the real Texans have been showing up; they just haven't played three quarters yet. The defense has done this preseason what the defense has done for the past two seasons. The "new" DC, who is really one of the old defensive coaches, even told us that the defense was the same.

I'm not too worried about offense, as long as they cure the turnover bug, which hasn't been an issue thus far, with the small sample size.
"The defense being the same" means that the plays in the playbook are the same. This gives continuity to the old guys because they already know the playbook. The defense being more aggressive means that the plays being called during the game are supposed to be different. We're supposed to play more press coverage and call for our linemen to penetrate and cause havoc more.

But it also means that when you're playing vanilla, if you want, you can play the same old crap we had last year. And so far, that's what it looks like.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason the Saints game upset me so much was that it marked the reemergance of the team that opened the Regular Season last year in Pittsburg, and the fear that that team was the "real Texans". See that scares the hell out of me.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2009   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
"The defense being the same" means that the plays in the playbook are the same. This gives continuity to the old guys because they already know the playbook. The defense being more aggressive means that the plays being called during the game are supposed to be different. We're supposed to play more press coverage and call for our linemen to penetrate and cause havoc more.

But it also means that when you're playing vanilla, if you want, you can play the same old crap we had last year. And so far, that's what it looks like.

Speaking of the change in DC, I'm wondering if Frank Bush didn't start making the calls at some point before we went on that 4 game win streak.

There was some media speculation that Richard Smith wasn't making the calls anymore. It also looked like there was some kind of change that came about after we lost to the Ravens and Colts.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wanted to apologize that my negative thoughts about the defense allowed Peterson to have a 75 yard TD on the first play.
Old 08-31-2009   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I just wanted to apologize that my negative thoughts about the defense allowed Peterson to have a 75 yard TD on the first play.
Oh, come on, man.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
Quote:
I just wanted to apolgize that my negative thoughts about the defense allowed Peterson to have a 75 yard TD on the first play.
Oh, come on, man.
I'm trying to get better.
Old 08-31-2009   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

After watching the first half I'd say the real Texans have shown up. Both of them.
Old 08-31-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah they showed up not the good texans the

" 2004-2005 same ol texans"
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw 'em live. Fearlessly mediocre, soft to the touch and not good enough tacklers to play an aggressive man gap-control scheme.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I saw 'em live. Fearlessly mediocre, soft to the touch and not good enough tacklers to play an aggressive man gap-control scheme.
Tackling, man...we're talking tackling!...it's a fundamental aspect of playing defense...and we're talking about tackling...

If a team cannot overcome the basic fundamentals, how can they be expected to excel at anything else?
Old 09-01-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
This is the issue, IMO. I think our best hope for this season is that the poor tackling is largely a result of the largely tackle-free training camp and that it will improve pretty quickly as they start playing games. Otherwise, they are going to get gashed for a lot of big plays.

I guess the other thing to look forward to is Dunta's return and even Reeves return. That should help on the edges and on the back end some. Thank God for Demeco Ryans! Is there anybody else on the squad that can actually make a one on one tackle... Oh yeah, Deljuan Robinson. Unfortunately, for reasons beyond comprehension, he's buried on the depth chart.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #17
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

after we watching the game on my DVR i dont think we played has bad has i said

and the Dano pick was not really his fault
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmm.. DelJuan is 320lbs+, and BRINGS it every down.
If he's not one of your starting tackles on Week 1, there
is something wrong with the politics on the Texans' depth
chart.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Quote:
Tackling, man...we're talking tackling!...it's a fundamental aspect of playing defense...and we're talking about tackling...

If a team cannot overcome the basic fundamentals, how can they be expected to excel at anything else?
"Overcome the fundamentals"

Now there is a keeper. I like it.
Old 09-01-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
after we watching the game on my DVR i dont think we played has bad has i said

and the Dano pick was not really his fault
Yes, it was entirely his fault. It was obvious the DB was playing AJ's inside shoulder. Hell, the freakin commentators even pointed it out. DanO made a bad read.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read