Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2009   #1
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is Preseason Too Long?

Every year there is more and more talk about reducing the # of preseason games and adding to the regular season. Although, I undertand the economics of doing so, personally I think it would be a mistake. I think it would cheapen the product on the field for the first few games of the season. Just look at the Texans! Were they ready to start the season last year against the Steelers? Uh that would be a NO! Based on what we've seen so far this preseason, do the Texans have all their pieces in place and are operating like a fine-tuned machine? Uh that would be a NO! Do we expect them to by the Jets game? I'm sure some do, but I'm skeptical. I believe they will still be trying to find themselves defensively and will need EVERY snap this preseason to get even reasonably close to finding themselves. Actually, I believe the Texans could use another preseason game. It's obvious they also don't have every piece jelling in the offense, too. Especially in the line and at RB. I don't necessarily agree with this concept of playing the starters very little in preseason because of injury risk. Unless you are the Patriots or the Colts, teams need snap time playing together to jell and by holding the starters out most of preseason, they won't be jellin' by the first game. Your thoughts?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Preseason Too Long?

I think that the NFL could make training camp prior to preseason games about 3 weeks longer, subtract 1 preseason game, and add 1 regular season game. This would allow coaches longer to evaluate talent, players would be happy with fewer preseason games to lessen the risk of injury, and fans would be happy with another regular season game. I'd also like to see the NFL expand the roster size to about 56-57 players allowing for more rotation of players thus lessening injuries and allowing clubs to hold onto some more valuable backups and the extra regular season game would offset the additional players salaries.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think that the NFL could make training camp prior to preseason games about 3 weeks longer, subtract 1 preseason game, and add 1 regular season game. This would allow coaches longer to evaluate talent, players would be happy with fewer preseason games to lessen the risk of injury, and fans would be happy with another regular season game. I'd also like to see the NFL expand the roster size to about 56-57 players allowing for more rotation of players thus lessening injuries and allowing clubs to hold onto some more valuable backups and the extra regular season game would offset the additional players salaries.
Agreed

But this year I'm glad the preseason is as long as it is. It gives Reeves,Myers and Cushing a chance to get healthy for the regular season.

Ultimately I wold like to see 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games.

They would have to expand the rosters but an 18 game reglar season is do able.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed

But this year I'm glad the preseason is as long as it is. It gives Reeves,Myers and Cushing a chance to get healthy for the regular season.

Ultimately I wold like to see 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games.

They would have to expand the rosters but an 18 game reglar season is do able.

Playing NFL commisioner for a day my ultimate scenario would be to have 19 regular season games, I like an odd number of games you either have a winning or losing season period. I'd only have 3 preseason games. I'd expand rosters to 60 players, for more rotation of players due to the expanded season and lessening player injury. I'd also add another bye week for each team and start training camp 3 weeks earlier prior to preseason games. All of this would make the season 4 weeks longer, thrilling fans, expanding rosters and adding another bye week would cut down on player fatigue and injury making them happier, the longer preseason prior to preseason games would allow coaches more time to get players ready and evaluate talent, and owners would like it due to much greater revenue income to pay for those extra players. Everyone would be happy.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Playing NFL commisioner for a day my ultimate scenario would be to have 19 regular season games, I like an odd number of games you either have a winning or losing season period. I'd only have 3 preseason games. I'd expand rosters to 60 players, for more rotation of players due to the expanded season and lessening player injury. I'd also add another bye week for each team and start training camp 3 weeks earlier prior to preseason games. All of this would make the season 4 weeks longer, thrilling fans, expanding rosters and adding another bye week would cut down on player fatigue and injury making them happier, the longer preseason prior to preseason games would allow coaches more time to get players ready and evaluate talent, and owners would like it due to much greater revenue income to pay for those extra players. Everyone would be happy.
Sounds like a great plan to me and we get an extra month of football.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #6
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

yes
Old 08-28-2009   #7
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem with having an odd number of games means all teams won't have an even number of home and away games. There's the possibility of having neutral field games for each team but I'd rather tack on 2 extra real games and have only 2 preseason games.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2009   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to add games. It demeans the record books.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been over 30 years. I don't think it's too soon or too late. I love how slow the league is to change. I think the time is just right.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

2 preseason games would be just about right IMO.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. Maybe they could do more scrimmages to get some of those guys at the bottom of the roster more opportunities.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've lost track of my post where I said this earlier, but what I said was shorten the preseason to three games, and add one to the regular season with two bye weeks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Less preseason, more season... the more the merrier (and larger rosters).

(Didn't we have this discussion last year also? )
Old 08-28-2009   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I do think preseason is probably a game or 2 too long. However, we are a team that has desperately needed the longer preseason. Injuries and poor play that would've rolled into the regular season.....I'll pass.

I wouldn't mind if it were cut down to 3 and possibly added like a rivalry game to the regular season.
Old 08-28-2009   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

No... it's the Offseason that is too long! I'll take an 8 game preseason if it means training camp can start in June and the crappy preseason games start in July.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
I don't want to add games. It demeans the record books.
It's too late for that, besides football is less about stats than baseball is. When I was a kid we had less games than played now, and the rules on the field have changed so much that a 58% passer rating isn't "good" anymore. Football is an evolutionary creature, baseball is a static measurement. Also, in football you don't have to tell 'em that 'there is no crying in football'. It's assumed.

As to the thread topic, is the preseason too long? in a word....yes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
As to the thread topic, is the preseason too long? in a word....yes.
I think the length season, and the preseason, are just fine. The starters need the preseason to get their timing down. Granted, the starters generally sit out the entire 4th preseason game. But, that is an important time to develop the backups and make roster decisions.

Regarding the regular season, the rosters were only 40 deep back when the NFL played a 14 game schedule. Over the years, the league has understood that the rosters needed to be increased for the longer 16 game schedule. I believe they would find the same necessity if the regular season were to be extended, now.

The question I have is, are there enough NFL quality football players available to meet the increased demand? With 32 teams, the talent level is already thin. I doubt there are 32 quality QBs in the league, right now. If the schedule were extended by 2 additional games (games that the starters would play throughout), I fear the championship would be determined more by attrition and serendipity than ability. From the opening week to the Super Bowl, the NFL season is now 22 weeks long (as opposed to 18 weeks back in 1977). Right now, I think it's just right.
Old 08-29-2009   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

With the way players are staying in shape year round, with all the mini-camps, OTA's and what have you throughout the off-season, I think a month of training camp and pre-season games is way too much.

Players can be ready to go in a couple of weeks. Drop 2 pre-season games and go with an 18 game schedule with a couple of bye weeks. Expand the rosters if you want as well.

And I'm not want that wants to see a lot of change in the NFL. But the pre-season is ridiculously, and I think, unnecessarily long.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
With the way players are staying in shape year round, with all the mini-camps, OTA's and what have you throughout the off-season, I think a month of training camp and pre-season games is way too much.

Players can be ready to go in a couple of weeks. Drop 2 pre-season games and go with an 18 game schedule with a couple of bye weeks. Expand the rosters if you want as well.

And I'm not want that wants to see a lot of change in the NFL. But the pre-season is ridiculously, and I think, unnecessarily long.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-29-2009   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think the length season, and the preseason, are just fine. The starters need the preseason to get their timing down. Granted, the starters generally sit out the entire 4th preseason game. But, that is an important time to develop the backups and make roster decisions.

Regarding the regular season, the rosters were only 40 deep back when the NFL played a 14 game schedule. Over the years, the league has understood that the rosters needed to be increased for the longer 16 game schedule. I believe they would find the same necessity if the regular season were to be extended, now.

The question I have is, are there enough NFL quality football players available to meet the increased demand? With 32 teams, the talent level is already thin. I doubt there are 32 quality QBs in the league, right now. If the schedule were extended by 2 additional games (games that the starters would play throughout), I fear the championship would be determined more by attrition and serendipity than ability. From the opening week to the Super Bowl, the NFL season is now 22 weeks long (as opposed to 18 weeks back in 1977). Right now, I think it's just right.
College teams don't have a preseason. They have a few scrimmages and when they play out of conference, but the records count for the overall team record. You can argue that they don't count for their conferences but the games count and they do mean something. If you don't want to attrit the league don't let them play a month of practice games where inevitably, every year, each team loses someone important. A few scrimmages, a couple of preseason games, and let the games begin. This isn't the same league from years gone by when you had all your guys coming back from a 3 month vacation of beer drinking for a long camp to get in shape, and 6 - count 'em, six preseason games. Guys stay in shape year around and most of the offense is already installed in camp instead of working on getting guys into shape.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read