Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Jacoby Jones....

I was just wondering what he'd look like on defense... Cornerback, maybe FS..

just a thought?
Old 08-27-2009   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones....

He'd be lucky to be in a semi pro league at that position.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83034 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby doesn't look like he has great hips so CB is out of the question and he doesn't seem like a player who'll seek out contact, so defensive backfield all together is out of the question.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #4
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't have a long enough attention span to stay with a guy for longer than 10 seconds. Waiting for a pass to arrive is tough for JJ to maintain some kind of focus.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Jacoby doesn't look like he has great hips so CB is out of the question and he doesn't seem like a player who'll seek out contact, so defensive backfield all together is out of the question.
I think CB nailed it. He's even made comments on not liking to get hit. I think if he tried to hit he'd snap in half.
Old 08-28-2009   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

He'd look lost. Jacoby seems like one that makes minimal moves and likes to get up field...see returns. Even at WR I've yet to see a guy known for his routes. I think in coverage he would have issues turning his hips and moving across field and through traffic in coverage.
Old 08-28-2009   #7
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected

No.
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
He'd look lost. Jacoby seems like one that makes minimal moves and likes to get up field...see returns. Even at WR I've yet to see a guy known for his routes. I think in coverage he would have issues turning his hips and moving across field and through traffic in coverage.
IMO, at times he tries too many moves on returns, which has gotten him into trouble in the past.

We've got Jenkins and Martinez battling this cat for a spot. I sure hope the coaches make a fair decision at that last WR spot. JJ or not I don't care.
Old 08-28-2009   #9
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, at times he tries too many moves on returns, which has gotten him into trouble in the past.

We've got Jenkins and Martinez battling this cat for a spot. I sure hope the coaches make a fair decision at that last WR spot. JJ or not I don't care.
Maybe I haven't been paying attention because of his lack of play last year but I always seem to think of him as straight up the field with maybe a side step here and there. It may be just me remembering the ones he actually stayed in the lane and broke.
Old 08-28-2009   #10
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I actually thought Jacoby played pretty well last game. With the exception of the bone head penalty, he looked sure handed on offense (I can't speak to his routes). It looks like he may have finally settled down on special teams and is settling for a the fair catch rather than trying to make something out of nothing.

I would hate to see us cut Jacoby. If another one of receivers wins out...I would hope we could make a deal for him.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Maybe I haven't been paying attention because of his lack of play last year but I always seem to think of him as straight up the field with maybe a side step here and there. It may be just me remembering the ones he actually stayed in the lane and broke.
I might be cherry-pickin too, but he did it just a couple weeks ago against KC. He was covered well on a return and began juking near the sideline. While he was doing this I just knew that damn ball was going to get knocked out. He ended up picking up a few extra yards, but is it worth it knowing we have a dude with a history of fumblitis doing it?
Old 08-28-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still excited about Jacoby becoming a playmaker for the Texans
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was just wondering what he'd look like on defense... Cornerback, maybe FS..

just a thought?
So, a guy who isn't mature enough to play his natural position will be able to transfer his skills to another position? Idon't think it will work.
Old 08-28-2009   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are so many people trying to find some niche or spot where Jacoby is going to shine at this point? It seems like people simply can't get over that pre season he had two years ago. The guy's never done anything in the regular season to warrant so much attention for potential other than running a few returns back in the returning game, but hell even there he made a ton of mistakes with the TO's and he's not a good field position guy really either in the returning game. He's just a guy that can take it to the house every now and then with a few flashy moves where he's either HR or nothing. I'll stand by my opinion that he's nothing but a Mathis 2.0.
Old 08-28-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am beginning to think JJ is a one trick pony that may make it to the finish line (goal) or stumble and lose his rider (ball). He did not really hurt status against NO but did nothing to make me sit up and get excited. IMO he has until final player cut to stand out or his spot should go to someone else.
Old 08-28-2009   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner
Why are so many people trying to find some niche or spot where Jacoby is going to shine at this point? It seems like people simply can't get over that pre season he had two years ago. The guy's never done anything in the regular season to warrant so much attention for potential other than running a few returns back in the returning game, but hell even there he made a ton of mistakes with the TO's and he's not a good field position guy really either in the returning game. He's just a guy that can take it to the house every now and then with a few flashy moves where he's either HR or nothing. I'll stand by my opinion that he's nothing but a Mathis 2.0.
Don't worry. As soon as he's cut there will be a line of people explaining why he was never worth the roster spot. I think posters are hesitant now because his failure would look like a Smithiak mistake on a third round draft choice. Add that to the Okoye issue, and it doesn't fit comfortably into some world views.

By the way, does anyone think they should try Okoye at fullback? He has good burst for a guy his size. I don't know about his hips though.
Old 08-28-2009   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Don't worry. As soon as he's cut there will be a line of people explaining why he was never worth the roster spot. I think posters are hesitant now because his failure would look like a Smithiak mistake on a third round draft choice. Add that to the Okoye issue, and it doesn't fit comfortably into some world views.

By the way, does anyone think they should try Okoye at fullback? He has good burst for a guy his size. I don't know about his hips though.
Nah man, lets put him at Right Tackle.
Old 08-28-2009   #18
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

"Don't worry. As soon as he's cut there will be a line of people explaining why he was never worth the roster spot. I think posters are hesitant now because his failure would look like a Smithiak mistake on a third round draft choice. Add that to the Okoye issue, and it doesn't fit comfortably into some world views."

Interesting point - I think the same could be said of Molden, which like the Jacoby pick (small school) and Okoye (age), was a attempt on a value pick based in large part on upside. This is as opposed to this year's pick in Cushing, which ball all accounts was a "safe pick" (well, as safe as any pick can be) - at least compared to the other LBs at USC - meaning, that he may not have as much upside to be exceptional, but there is a greater probability that he will be solid player that contributes, but not a "bust".

Hindsite is 20/20. IMO, even if the front office ends up to be wrong on all three, I think they have easily made more good picks than bad.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83034 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
"Don't worry. As soon as he's cut there will be a line of people explaining why he was never worth the roster spot. I think posters are hesitant now because his failure would look like a Smithiak mistake on a third round draft choice. Add that to the Okoye issue, and it doesn't fit comfortably into some world views."

Interesting point - I think the same could be said of Molden, which like the Jacoby pick (small school) and Okoye (age), was a attempt on a value pick based in large part on upside. This is as opposed to this year's pick in Cushing, which ball all accounts was a "safe pick" (well, as safe as any pick can be) - at least compared to the other LBs at USC - meaning, that he may not have as much upside to be exceptional, but there is a greater probability that he will be solid player that contributes, but not a "bust".

Hindsite is 20/20. IMO, even if the front office ends up to be wrong on all three, I think they have easily made more good picks than bad.
What's wrong with the Molden pick? He was a badass special teams player in his rookie season, and for last year (his rookie season) that was perfectly fine with me. This is only he second season, so it's kind of premature to write him off already.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #20
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Jacoby got injured by a kicker on a return and has never been the same since. I can't imagine him playing free safety and coming across the middle against someone like Dallas Clark.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read