Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-26-2009   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub, Gannon on idea of 'staying healthy'

Quote:
Host Adam Schein: "We talked to coach Kubiak at the combine and I thought he had something interesting to say about you. He said Matt needs to learn how to stay healthy. How does a QB learn how to stay healthy?"

Schaub: "I guess, you know, you kind of stumped me there. As far as learning how to stay healthy, I don't know, you just kind of, I guess, learn how to take hits better. You get in the training room more. I guess I'm still trying to learn that myself and I guess this is the year where I'm going to learn how to do that because I'm going to be out there for 16 weeks. It's been unfortunate to be nicked up the past couple of years but I was happy to get back out there the last month of last season to play those last four games and get back out there with my guys."

Later in the show, Rich Gannon, a 17 year veteran QB and the 2002 NFL MVP, gave his thoughts on Schaub's answer.

Gannon: "He talked about taking hits better, getting in the training room more. I say, 'No, no, no.' I love this kid. I think he's got a good chance to be a good player but his answer is not the answer I was looking for. The way you stay healthy, first of all you have to look at the players who are staying healthy, guys like Brett Favre and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady [who] before last season was very durable. When you put the film on Monday morning very rarely do you ever see these guys take a hit to the back of the head where they don't see a corner blitz or a weak[side] safety coming clean. They have great vision, great experience, great anticipation, great understanding not only of what they're doing offensively in terms of the protection scheme, but how these defensive coordinators are trying to devise schemes to attack them and get hits on them&"
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...taying-healthy

Not sure I totally agree with Gannon's response. Too many of Schaubs injuries were the result of an illegal hit. Theres not a whole lot you can do to prevent that.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Schaub, Gannon on idea of 'staying healthy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

Not sure I totally agree with Gannon's response. Too many of Schaubs injuries were the result of an illegal hit. Theres not a whole lot you can do to prevent that.
I think Gannon was referring to calling the right blitz pickups pre snap and anticipating the pass rush a bit better.
Old 08-26-2009   #3
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The hits that hurt Schaub, with one exception, were taken by defensive linemen. Exotic pass-rush schemes were not involved in Haynesworth plopping on him, Antwuan Odom rolling over his shoulder on an otherwise- routine sack and Jared Allen's knee shots.

The one shot that came from a non-DL was the chin shot by DB Drayton Florence which came after Schaub threw a pick. It had nothing to do with Schaub not being aware of the pass rush and had everything to do with Florence trying to knock him out with a helmet-to-chinstrap shot.

So, if Gannon is insinuating that Schaub's injuries were the result of him failing to understand the pass rush/coverage scheme he was facing, Gannon needs to watch a little tape. That's not to say that Schaub shouldn't emulate the way guys like Manning, Brady and (especially) Favre avoid hits right after throwing the ball.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
The hits that hurt Schaub, with one exception, were taken by defensive linemen. Exotic pass-rush schemes were not involved in Haynesworth plopping on him, Antwuan Odom rolling over his shoulder on an otherwise- routine sack and Jared Allen's knee shots.

The one shot that came from a non-DL was the chin shot by DB Drayton Florence which came after Schaub threw a pick. It had nothing to do with Schaub not being aware of the pass rush and had everything to do with Florence trying to knock him out with a helmet-to-chinstrap shot.

So, if Gannon is insinuating that Schaub's injuries were the result of him failing to understand the pass rush/coverage scheme he was facing, Gannon needs to watch a little tape. That's not to say that Schaub shouldn't emulate the way guys like Manning, Brady and (especially) Favre avoid hits right after throwing the ball.
I doubt a national media guy like Gannon follows Schaub as closely as the average poster on here but I think his advice would certainly help Schaub stay healthy.

EX: Odom came on the blindside, maybe audibling out of the current play to have a hot read or sending a TE/RB over to chip on the backside would've prevented the shoulder injury from happening?
Old 08-26-2009   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Gannon definitely makes sense. But if those illegal hits didnt happen, would we even be having this discussion?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

All I wanna see is an OL lay out an offender if Schaub gets cheap shotted
Old 08-26-2009   #7
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I totally agree with Gannon, and these guys also show how there are different approaches to the same end.

Favre seems to do it with pure awareness as if he is hovering over the field and watching himself. He has strong sensory perception of what is happening around him and the ability to respond to what's happening around him with movement.

Manning seems more inclined toward the awareness of what the defense is planning and also just being really fast due to his football IQ and knowing what the defense is doing and where his guys will be and what his options are down the list.

For Schaub, it's a matter of identifying the need to develop this ability, finding what will work best for him, and honing it down to an instinct through practice and experience. But, right now, it sounds like he still hasn't really reached that first step of identifying the need because I think when you really identify the need you have a more thought out and researched answer to this question.
J. Sean Wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think Gannon was referring to calling the right blitz pickups pre snap and anticipating the pass rush a bit better.
I'm going with Tailgate's response.... the hits that took Schaub out, were the illegal kind. & Gannon's response kinda makes me believe he's telling Schaub to "look" at the pass rush, and that's a no-no for me.

But truly, I think he's got the same problem I had seen with Chris Brown. When you're out on the field, you've got to keep your head on a swivel. Chris Brown, and Schaub don't even see these hits coming, so the shock to the body is much greater than if they had the opportunity to brace, or roll with the hit.

I don't care if the whistle's blown, you've got to know what's going on around you.
Old 08-26-2009   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.

Sorry, ESPN commercial
Old 08-26-2009   #10
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
All I wanna see is an OL lay out an offender if Schaub gets cheap shotted
All you have to do is wait for a Jags game ! WAIT, they lost Henderson to free agency, didn't they ? Too lazy to look it up....That guy is a BEAST and a cheap shot artist to boot !
Old 08-26-2009   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

All Schaub needs to do if he wants to stay healthy is watch film of David Carr. Carr is a master of anticipating a hit and getting out of there before it happens (even if it isn't really going to happen).
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

There's nothing to "learn" about staying healthy. The only way you stay healthy in football is to avoid getting hit, and that doesn't happen. Gannon's comments have merit, but don't necessarily apply to Schaub so far.
Old 08-27-2009   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before, I will be shocked if Schaub doesn't play 16. I don't see his injuries as a suggestion that he's fragile. Unlucky? Maybe. However, I do think some guys are just more graceful with their bodies and he seem more stiff to me. And yes, some guys do have that vision, that sense. Rothlisberger has it. Where theres a guy behind you and you just know. It's not teachable though. I don't believe it is anyway. I think you can learn how to get out of harms way and you can learn how to get rid of the ball. You can have a clock. But you can allso run the ball well and not have teams tee off on you.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

just be like David carr tuck into a ball and fall down LOL

i dont think that guy has never been injured
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
All Schaub needs to do if he wants to stay healthy is watch film of David Carr. Carr is a master of anticipating a hit and getting out of there before it happens (even if it isn't really going to happen).
Arh, peeking at the chronicles of Dr. Fetal for help?
Old 08-31-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rich Gannon on Schaub

Rich Gannon on Kubiak/Schaub...

Quote:
I asked Gary Kubiak at the scouting combine what Schaub needed to do in 2009.

"His No. 1 goal has got to be to find a way to stay on that football field for 16 weeks," Kubiak said. "And I know that's a hard thing to say, but I think it is something you work at. I think you've got to know when to get it going and avoid some of those hits and make sure you're there for your teammates every week."

Last week on Sirius NFL Radio, I told Schaub what Kubiak said and asked him how to stay healthy for 16 games and what his coach meant by that.

Schaub's response was somewhere between fascinating, telling and a tad frustrating.

The quarterback said, "I guess, you know, you kind of stumped me there. As far as learning how to stay healthy, I don't know, you just kind of, I guess, learn how to take hits better. You get in the training room more. I guess I'm still trying to learn that myself, and I guess this is the year where I'm going to learn how to do that because I'm going to be out there for 16 weeks. It's been unfortunate to be nicked up the past couple of years, but I was happy to get back out there the last month of last season to play those last four games and get back out there with my guys."

To which my Sirius Blitz co-host Rich Gannon, who knows a thing or two about the quarterback position, had this to say: "He talked about taking hits better, getting in the training room more. I say, 'No, no, no.' I love this kid. I think he's got a good chance to be a good player, but his answer is not the answer I was looking for. The way you stay healthy, first of all, (is) you have to look at the players who are staying healthy, guys like Brett Favre and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (who) before last season was very durable. When you put the film on Monday morning very rarely do you ever see these guys take a hit to the back of the head where they don't see a corner blitz or a weak(side) safety coming clean. They have great vision, great experience, great anticipation, great understanding not only of what they're doing offensively in terms of the protection scheme, but how these defensive coordinators are trying to devise schemes to attack them and get hits on them."

It's a boom-or-bust season for Kubiak and Schaub. They better be on the same page.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1...tart?GT1=39002

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rich Gannon on Schaub

There was some discussion on this, here: Schaub, Gannon on idea of 'staying healthy'
Old 08-31-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rich Gannon on Schaub

thanks - merged.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Staying healthy for the QBs mentioned have gone hand in hand with solid pass rush protection...........resulting in markedly less exposure to any hits, let alone cheap shots.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #20
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[In response to the Adam Schein article just posted here]

Man, you know it is time to get the season started when interviews are being dissected to this degree. Schein lists "The Kubiak/Schaub Relationship" as one of his nine biggest "unsolved mysteries" in the column. On a day that Schaub gave a ton of interviews (as part of the Gatorade deal he's doing), one answer to one question is now being used to insinuate that he and Kubiak are somehow not on the same page. I'm sure that is news to Kubes, Schaub and just about everyone else at the corner of Kirby & Main. And does anybody really think that Schaub believes he can stay upright if he lets the league's defensive linemen hit him every time he drops back?

Whether Schaub understands what he needs to do to avoid injury will be borne out on the field, not in a radio interview. Thank goodness the silly season is almost over and we can go back to worrying about how our team plays and not how they interview.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read