Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What is your level of concern?
Extremely concerned - nothing looks promising 11 7.05%
Very concerned - improvement a must but not disheartened 42 26.92%
Kinda - its preseason but still I want to see us competitive 74 47.44%
Not really - its preseason. end of story. 29 18.59%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Level of Concern

Be reasonable
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Level of Concern

Very. Our first string defense got rolled.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I hit the "Very concerned" button.....If we don't improve next week, go ahead and bump me up to "Extremely concerned". If we get raped in the running game like we did tonight, I'll start to question the coaching change that we made.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-23-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta say, as concerning as the run defense is right now, the fact that that Saints defense actually made some plays against our O and made some key stops was equally disturbing. Schaub & 1st team had a good drive but from then on the offense was far from clean and was basically a huge let down considering the talent they were facing. There was yards and points left out there to say the least.
Old 08-23-2009   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I gotta say, as concerning as the run defense is right now, the fact that that Saints defense actually made some plays against our O and made some key stops was equally disturbing. Schaub & 1st team had a good drive but from then on the offense was far from clean and was basically a huge let down considering the talent they were facing. There was yards and points left out there to say the least.
That wasn't as alarming to me, they hired Greg Williams (a guy I wanted Houston to take a look at, not just trusting someone already on our inept staff), he's a good defensive coach and they should be pretty damn good as a team this season. I actually expected NOLA to be pretty tough on D.
Old 08-23-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
That wasn't as alarming to me, the hired Greg Williams (a guy I wanted Houston to take a look at, not just trusting someone on our staff), he's a good defensive coach and they should be pretty damn good as a team this season.
I really hope you're right cause that Saints D couldn't stop a thing last year
Old 08-23-2009   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I really hope you're right cause that Saints D couldn't stop a thing last year
That changed alot over that year, Mainly with their D coord, the draft/FA pickups, and Jonathan Vilma the year before. They actually have some quality players now. Greg Williams got a bad rap in Jacksonville, he's a good proven coach. I'm still holding out hope for Bush, but so far, I'm seeing much of the same.
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2009   #8
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried at all. This time last year it didn't look like we would have anything resembling a running game, our O-line couldn't open up anything, kind of like how it looks now. Every year you'll see this after these exhibition games whether it be summer league in the nba or pre-season everyone always overreacts, and I've seen it too many times to fall for it again.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-23-2009 at 02:37 AM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm voting not really. Not just because it's the preseason, but because the N.O. Saints had the #1 offense last year. Our opponents this season don't.

Of course i would have liked to have seen something better than what we saw tonight..... but whatever.
Old 08-23-2009   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReliantTexan View Post
Not worried at all. This time last year it didn't look like we would have anything resembling a running game, our O-line couldn't open up anything, kind of like how it looks now. Every year you'll hear this after these exhibition games whether it be summer league in the nba or pre-season everyone always, overreacts, and I've seen it too many times to fall for it again.
There's only a couple of problems...

Last year you "expected" a running game with Green going down once again, but you got one with Slaton, and our Oline.

This year, you expected a running game, but aren't getting one. (as well, you aren't stopping the run either, go figure...we'll see how that works out)

This isn't the NBA summer league either (kind of a weak comparison) Nobody really gives a crap about that (NBA summer league), because that's a bad comparison......how many NBA starters play during "summer league"? It doesn't happen.....Summer league is like the NFL practice squad. The whole entire Summer League can be summarized into the 4th and final preseason game..and even then I don't know if it matters as much. So the last thing you should be comparing preseason football to is summer league basketball.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 08-23-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-23-2009   #11
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
There's only a couple of problems...

Last year you didn't "expect" a running game with Green going down once again, but you got one with Slaton, and our Oline.

This year, you expected a running game, but aren't getting one. (as well, you aren't stopping the run either)
Which proves my point. They were wrong about our running game then just like they're probably wrong about our defense now. And let's not get ahead of ourselves, it was one preseason game that we didn't stop the run. One game in which our starters played a little over a quarter.
Quote:

This isn't the NBA summer league either (kind of a weak comparison), nobody really gives a crap about that (NBA summer league), because that's a crappy comparison......how many NBA starters play during "summer league"? It doesn't happen.....
Regardless of what you think they are similar in that they are used mainly to evaluate rookies and bubble players trying to get a roster spot(including high draft picks who will be starting for their teams), I definitely wouldn't compare it to an nfl practice squad.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-23-2009 at 05:00 AM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263877 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted "very concerned".

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #13
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted NOT REALLY! It's preseason, and most of those players that played like Jr High kids, won't be around in a couple of weeks. PLUS, no reason for the guys to put out 100% in a meaningless game, esp the first string. I sure as hell don't want to see anyone HURT!!!

Put this poll back up after the Jets game! Our boys fail to show some HEART, and play like puzzy's, THEN I'll be concerned!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #14
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

voted very concerned - run defense has me worried the most.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #15
DavidC
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 DavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of FamerDavidC is a Hall of Famer

I voted Kinda Concerned. It is preseason, and I am sure that they will become much more intense once the season starts, but I would have liked to see them stop the run a little better last night.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #16
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not particularly concerned. The Texans were competitive with their first team guys on the field. Matters did not get out of hand until later in the game.

Texan's players have been hearing themselves touted as a playoff caliber football team all summer. This is a perfect time to take a loss like this, if you are going to. The coaches will use this performance to light a fire under their butts, and to emphasize that all the preseason prognosticating means exactly zero.

This team has never had a winning season, and they will not have one this year either if they cannot consistently play better than they did last night. If the Texans are going to earn a playoff spot this year, they are going to have to win it on the football field on Sundays against other NFL teams with the same hopes and expectations as the Texans. There is no other way.

Kubiak and company will realize this loss as a "teachable moment," and I expect they will make the most of it.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #17
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm walking a razor thin line between Very and Extremely. I posted in the gameday thread that I saw the loss last night coming since we did not smash KC into dust like we should have. The response that I got was that I was looking at that wrong b/c the Vikings barely beat KC and the Vikes are SB contenders.....says who??? ESPN? Anyone REALLY think that Favre will just magically take them to the SB??? Maybe I will have to eat my words on that, but for right now, we still should have CRUSHED a weakling team like KC and the fact that the Vikes barely beat them indicating that the KC win was quality for us is rubbish in my mind because we know that KC did not make some major jump to playoff status. So the Viking game indicates that they are either A)- not as good as we think or B)- Favre is just getting used to the system or C)-every dog has his day and KC played well. Anyway you slice it we should have smashed KC and at least competed with with NO. It's the same lame-ass song and dance that I have seen for too many years out of this team. Win one week, just show up and suck b@ll$ the next week. Pure crap and I was very dissapointed last night. Please don't tell me about how NO has the No 1 scoring offense.....b/c that's true but we did not even COMPETE!!!! G-D I am getting tired of this!! So put me down for very and if they play like this next week raise me up a notch! Run D got raped, pass D got smoked, LB's were pretty much silent.....offense moved backwards.....total crap accept for that 1st drive.

HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

New def coordinator

Same crappy defense

Sick of seeing the same bad product for 7 years.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #19
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Level of Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I voted Kinda Concerned. It is preseason, and I am sure that they will become much more intense once the season starts, but I would have liked to see them stop the run a little better last night.
Ditto.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #20
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted very because of the tissue-paper run defense by our 1's.

I realize this is pre-season practice, but we don't have much time to fix this before it counts. I am tired of us always starting out so slow every year and digging ourselves a hole we can't get out of.

We are very similar to NO with a high-powered offense and a weak defense (last year) but they seem to have made bigger strides with their defense than we have with ours. Looks like Sean giving up part of his salary to get the def. coordinator he wanted is paying off. They had us stopped on our first drive if it wasn't for their stupid penalty and they did a good job containing our running game.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read