Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-23-2009   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default And it starts...

Quote:
There was a lot about how they'd have to see it on film to figure out what went wrong (Crutch. When it's that bad and you play only about a half, you should be able to answer for it a bit better than that.)

There was a lot about how it's was better for it to happen now than later. (How about neither, isn't that an option?)
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...isappoint.html

Oh BTW, Houston broke a record tonight, this was the most points they've EVER allowed in a preseason game.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: And it starts...

well at least the titans Got rocked by dallas does there loss also mean there team is on the brink of 8-8 ????? LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #3
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
well at least the titans Got rocked by dallas does there loss also mean there team is on the brink of 8-8 ????? LOL
I think that mostly has to do with the fact that Kitna is better than your average second stringer, and Tennessee's second string sucks.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
No, but atleast they have a 13-3 season, one of the best defenses in the league, and a divisional title to point to and not just a 8-8 season.......that and their team didn't give up 174 rushing yards...
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, I wish week one would hurry up and get here already! Its PRE-season people. When we crush the Jets week one, nobody will even remember these glorified practices.
Old 08-23-2009   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: And it starts...

We played like crap - with few bright spots. Next week is next week. I'm sure we'll have some crap games during the regular season, too. Most teams do.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #7
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gentlemen and ladies, Might I remind you that week THREE of pre-season is where one can get a realistic feel for where the team is on both sides of the ball. Let's not panic after the Aint's game, imho.....
Old 08-23-2009   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
Gentlemen and ladies, Might I remind you that week THREE of pre-season is where one can get a realistic feel for where the team is on both sides of the ball. Let's not panic after the Aint's game, imho.....
Even then... it's still preseason. I remember us thumping the Cowgirls a couple seasons ago in game three and they went on to a winning season.

It seems like the good teams lose and the bad teams win during preseason. I don't know... didn't Detroit win all of their preseason games last year? How many did they win during the season? In fact, I think they were the only undefeated team in preseason.

The final score does not matter. It's all about the plays. Did they get executed? If not, try again. Fine tuning the gamebook is what preseason is all about.
Old 08-23-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

It's preseason guys. This will provide some motivation. Best thing about mistakes is that it's an opportunity to learn.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #10
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
It's preseason guys. This will provide some motivation. Best thing about mistakes is that it's an opportunity to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Geez, I wish week one would hurry up and get here already! Its PRE-season people. When we crush the Jets week one, nobody will even remember these glorified practices.
It does matter when the preseason is revealing a detrimental advancement of a specific problem this defense has had for many years.
Old 08-23-2009   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
It does matter when the preseason is revealing a detrimental advancement of a specific problem this defense has had for many years.
Detrimental advancement?

Dude, you're either way too smart, or way too dumb for this message board.
Old 08-23-2009   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So tell me in your eyes what Frank Bush was calling each play. Tell me what he was trying to do with his defense last night. Was he reaching deep into the playbook to stop the Saints? Were we running a tun of exotic blitzes with pressure coming from different positions? What were the CB's doing? Were they in zone, man or mixed coverage?

I'm not picking on just you, there are a lot of people screaming that we are going to suck on defense this year because the SAINTS ran the ball on us and they were like 28th in rushing last year (For reference KC was 15th in rushing last year and we shut them down)! To me it looked like Bush was looking at the players execution of basic defensive schemes in a format that was a lot more "read and react" than it was "aggressive" but I can't say with any sort of authority on what his defense is going to look like in the regular season.

Also, I think "detrimental advancement" would probably be better if it was just "degradation" would probably be fine and less confusing. It looks almost like an oxymoron in the same vein of Microsoft Works or "Great Richard Smith Defense".
Old 08-23-2009   #13
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Detrimental advancement?

Dude, you're either way too smart, or way too dumb for this message board.
Don't take this wrong, but I'm probably smarter than everyone here. I went to art school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
So tell me in your eyes what Frank Bush was calling each play. Tell me what he was trying to do with his defense last night. Was he reaching deep into the playbook to stop the Saints? Were we running a tun of exotic blitzes with pressure coming from different positions? What were the CB's doing? Were they in zone, man or mixed coverage?

I'm not picking on just you, there are a lot of people screaming that we are going to suck on defense this year because the SAINTS ran the ball on us and they were like 28th in rushing last year (For reference KC was 15th in rushing last year and we shut them down)! To me it looked like Bush was looking at the players execution of basic defensive schemes in a format that was a lot more "read and react" than it was "aggressive" but I can't say with any sort of authority on what his defense is going to look like in the regular season.
I have no idea what Frank Bush was trying to do, but he's a smart man, so I assume he was trying to stop the consecutive nine-yard running plays. I wasn't watching the CB's, but I'm sure the coverage was mixed since Bush said months ago that's what he wanted.

I'm not nearly as worried about the blown coverage by the secondary. They're young, and we haven't been using first round picks on them. The specific problem I was referring to is the middle of the line, which has been a problem for years. When guards from the Saints are creating lanes like the L.A. freeway, it's safe to say that this ongoing problem has not been corrected under the new defensive philosophy as I had hoped.

I could be wrong, like I was about Okam being the solution after the KC game, but the Saints game has exhausted my optimism.

Quote:
Also, I think "detrimental advancement" would probably be better if it was just "degradation" would probably be fine and less confusing. It looks almost like an oxymoron in the same vein of Microsoft Works or "Great Richard Smith Defense".
"Degradation" doesn't emphasize the fact that the problem has always been existent, and has now gotten worse. Cancer advances, but it doesn't degrade. "Bad advancement" also doesn't represent my prestigious UT art school education, so "detrimental" is the appropriate term.
Old 08-23-2009   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't take this wrong, but I'm probably smarter than everyone here. I went to art school.
Want fries with that? (Sorry I couldn't resist)

Quote:
"Degradation" doesn't emphasize the fact that the problem has always been existent, and has now gotten worse. Cancer advances, but it doesn't degrade. "Bad advancement" also doesn't represent my prestigious UT art school education, so "detrimental" is the appropriate term.
As bad as our run defense is, comparing it to cancer is a pretty good one. See the Run Defense has been there but it's always been bad, so this preseason it looked even more "degraded" than it's previous form last year.

"It does matter when the preseason is revealing a degredation of a specific area this defense has had problems with for many years." I like that sentence!
Old 08-23-2009   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

well I had to change my avatar with this doom and gloom ...

I have faith that our coaches will get this corrected this week and get ready for the season.. if they don't well we know what will happen at seasons end
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #16
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I have faith that our coaches will get this corrected this week and get ready for the season.. if they don't well we know what will happen at seasons end
i, on the other hand, am a cynic through and through. therefore i'm predicting our Texans to go 0-16... you know what **** that we're going 0-17. Smith and Kubiak will never get jobs again and McNair will move the team to Memphis so that Tennessee will have inherited both of Houston's teams. and Dan O and Shaun Cody to be the first players to be on consecutive 0 win teams.

god does our future look grim.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
I agree with the let's not panic thing. But if the play of our starters is nothing to concern ourselves about..... why send them out there? Why not just throw the rooks and the camp foder out there?

The most upsetting thing about last night, was our players & coaches saying, "I have no idea what happened"

The important thing, is that we went out and got some stuff on film. Next week, we're playing a rushing team that makes N.O. look like a Pee Wee team. If we get more of the same, get ready for a long, long season.

What I'm saying, is that we've uncovered an issue with out defense last night. Next week would be a good test, to see if we've learned our lesson.
Old 08-23-2009   #18
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with the let's not panic thing. But if the play of our starters is nothing to concern ourselves about..... why send them out there? Why not just throw the rooks and the camp foder out there?

The most upsetting thing about last night, was our players & coaches saying, "I have no idea what happened"

The important thing, is that we went out and got some stuff on film. Next week, we're playing a rushing team that makes N.O. look like a Pee Wee team. If we get more of the same, get ready for a long, long season.

What I'm saying, is that we've uncovered an issue with out defense last night. Next week would be a good test, to see if we've learned our lesson.
Its a smokescreen, just trying to get the Jets overconfident is all.
Old 08-23-2009   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:
Want fries with that? (Sorry I couldn't resist)
These days it's more like, "Are you hiring?"

Quote:
"It does matter when the preseason is revealing a degredation of a specific area this defense has had problems with for many years." I like that sentence!
I suppose that works, but it doesn't make me sound as smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

The part in bold is disturbing.

Concerning your last paragraph, Texanschick has a fun write-up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
As I discussed in stat-filled post in July, the Texans first down defense was 27th in the league, and their second down defense was 28th. In that post, Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders explained a statistical trend that should be horrifying to Texan fans:

One of our findings has been that if there's a disparity between a team's performance on third down and its performance on the previous two downs, the third down performance looks more like the other downs in the subsequent season.

It's one of the fundamental reasons why Football Outsiders' prediction for the Texans was pretty pessimistic.

Here's some chilling numbers for the first team last night (my quick math):

First down defense - averaged 6.18 yards allowed total, 6.8 yards per run
Second down defense - averaged 5.6 yards allowed total, 4 yards per run

I didn't look at the numbers for backups, but I'm not thinking they are much better. The Texans couldn't force 3rd down situations.
Link: http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...onas.html#more

Did I say "fun" write-up? I meant "soul crushing".

I know that anything is possible, but I did a lot of cocky bragging this offseason to my friends, so now I'm scared.
Old 08-23-2009   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
These days it's more like, "Are you hiring?"

I suppose that works, but it doesn't make me sound as smart.

The part in bold is disturbing.

Concerning your last paragraph, Texanschick has a fun write-up:

Link: http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...onas.html#more

Did I say "fun" write-up? I meant "soul crushing".

I know that anything is possible, but I did a lot of cocky bragging this offseason to my friends, so now I'm scared.
Ohhh...... that damn Texans Chick..... just when I talk myself into ignoring the bad crap.........

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read