Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2009   #1
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans-Saints Post Game Thoughts

Overall butt-kicking by the Saints, they look great - best of luck to them this year.

Individual performances
:
- Positives -
- Defense -
Mario got after the QB.
Okoye was spotted applying some semblance of pressure once or twice.
Nading played well vs. scrubs, not so well vs. first teamers.
Jamison played well vs scrubs.
Barwin continues to impress, he provides consistent energy and pass rush.
McCain appeared to provide tight coverage when I was able to see him.
Adibi laid a huge hit on Henderson.

- Offense -
AJ's still a beast.
Slaton made productive runs off of less than optimal blocking.
Schaub's throws were mostly well-placed, just too often short of the marker.
David Anderson continues to be a reliable 4th WR who exceeds expectations.
Dreesen does a great Owen Daniels impression, very authentic.
Andre Davis burned #1 draft pick Jenkins for a TD.

I'm giving Orlovsky an overall positive review for his 2nd preseason game. It's obviously up for debate. Did he look better than Sage? No. However, his throws were strong and mostly on target and he was decisive in the pocket. His INT was a horrible decision more than a bad throw. His goal line sack I don't really put on his shoulders, Casey was open but he had the defender on him before he had any chance to **** his arm and throw. I think with time in the system Orlovsky can be a good back-up QB.

- Negatives -
- Defense -
Okam and Okoye gave no push on run downs and gave up some huge runs. This doesn't bode well.
Our LB's as a group appeared to over pursue and/or get sealed off on big runs.
Glover Quin had plenty of tackles - because he gave up plenty of easy catches. He wasn't able to provide tight coverage on the plays I watched him.
Fred Bennett doesn't appear to have good recovery speed, once he bites on a move someone else has to make the tackle. Didn't look good to me tonight.
Busing had some good pass rushes, but as a safety he gave up multiple huge runs to the outside to the Saints 4th teamers. Consecutive plays went wide right for TD's (first was brought back for a hold, but Busing missed the tackle 1 on 1). I like his size and aggression, just don't think he was a very good last line of defense.... which isn't a good thing for a safety.

- Offense -
Arian Foster looked like 'just a guy'.
Chris Brown followed up an awesome game 1 performance with a dismal week 2 performance, although he had no holes whatsoever.
Duane Brown looked o.k. in pass pro but did his best to kill some drives with penalties.
Brink sucks.
Casey made a nice grab or two, he also had a drop and gave away a pick. Not going to be too rough on him, the Saints already did that for me.

- First team overall impression -
- Offense -
Our OL got man-handled in the run game, it took quick decisive running by Slaton to make anything out of it. The Saints dominated the LOS and our offense sputtered without a run game to move the chains.

- Defense -
Our DL, particularly the tackles, got pushed around by the Saints interior lineman, and our linebackers were rendered ineffective without good play up front. Our secondary just looked average to me. The Saints are the best offense in the league, so I'm not horribly disappointed, but at the same time I didn't want to see Mike Bell walking all over us. I expect our secondary to struggle at times this year, but if our front seven struggles to stop the run as well we're going to have problems.

Last edited by Fox; 08-22-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #2
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans-Saints Post Game Thoughts

i for one am willing to let Brink slide this game. how long has he been in camp? a week? still a better option than Grossman in my opinion.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby should be added as a positive on offense as well as Glenn Martinez. Both guys ran several different routes and made tough catches.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #4
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i for one am willing to let Brink slide this game. how long has he been in camp? a week? still a better option than Grossman in my opinion.
Valid point. Should've said 'sucked.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Jacoby should be added as a positive on offense as well as Glenn Martinez. Both guys ran several different routes and made tough catches.
I'm with you on Martinez. Jacoby made a great outstretched catch, but he also had a penalty that again demonstrated a lack of concentration, I was indifferent on his performance.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Preseason game #2, I think the game would've been more much interesting if this were a regular season game. Again, our 1's I didn't think look too badly. The run defense left A LOT to be desired, but overall I'm not that worried about the defense. It was very hard to watch that whole game but I'm not too worried how badly our guys got beaten once the half happened.

The Vikings will be a great test for our O and our D, but again it's preseason so no telling what can happen.

Work that DL this week Kollar, the middle guys were getting beaten consistently in the run game and that's your department.
Old 08-22-2009   #6
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

How did OG Kasey Studdard look?
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Preseason game #2, I think the game would've been more much interesting if this were a regular season game. Again, our 1's I didn't think look too badly. The run defense left A LOT to be desired, but overall I'm not that worried about the defense. It was very hard to watch that whole game but I'm not too worried how badly our guys got beaten once the half happened.
Seriously.......

Bell had 100 yards on 10 carries before halftime. The starting defense was just as bad as the reserves...actually we didn't start pressuring the QB until the reserves came in.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2009   #8
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
Didn't watch him specifically but we didn't get much push, especially up the middle, on running plays. Pass protection looked fine to me pretty much all around.
Old 08-22-2009   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like a backup/fringe player. I can't wait until Pitts gets back, I love the effort of Studdard, but I don't think he's a legit NFL lineman.
Old 08-22-2009   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 65389 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought he played well in the first quarter.
Old 08-22-2009   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll put it this way, Studdard and Okoye would be a fair fight! that's how bad Studdard looked.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobi Okoye has absolutely no business playing football on run downs. Perhaps he could be effective rushing the passer, but I will be extremely dissapointed with this coaching staff if he's not immediately replaced as a starter by either Cody, or TJ (that's right, he made me miss TJ tonight) when he gets healthy.

Okoye was the epicenter for basically every good run the Saints had tonight. Other than Okoye, I was unhappy with the secondary's tackling as well as the LBs filling and containing on some of the zone runs. Pretty sad effort in the run game tonight! I'm very close to getting some pink soap with Amobi printed on it.
Old 08-22-2009   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Amobi Okoye has absolutely no business playing football on run downs. Perhaps he could be effective rushing the passer, but I will be extremely dissapointed with this coaching staff if he's not immediately replaced as a starter by either Cody, or TJ (that's right, he made me miss TJ tonight) when he gets healthy.

Okoye was the epicenter for basically every good run the Saints had tonight. Other than Okoye, I was unhappy with the secondary's tackling as well as the LBs filling and containing on some of the zone runs. Pretty sad effort in the run game tonight! I'm very close to getting some pink soap with Amobi printed on it.
Yeah as much as I'm disapointed with T.J., Amobi is just as bad right now.....His occasional pass rush isn't worth all the times he's blown completely off the field on running plays. Amobi is simply a tweener right now, too big to beat tackles around the corner....too small to hold up at the POA against guards.

Another guy who isn't showing me much of anything is sadly.....Antonio Smith. He didn't do crap against the run either. I hope he won't be added to the long list of FA wash outs.
Old 08-22-2009   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't get to see the game I was out and about

but from what I can tell CONSISTENCY is what the Texans are still missing

and that is what we should look at during preseason and I am guessing (by the posts) is NOT happening
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #15
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9284 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest improvment on offense will come once they are healthy again. The defense has to be better against the run or teams like the Tacks and Jags will kill us and control the clock and I don't want to have to go against the Tacks defense in catch up mode. I am willing to cut them slack just because they are still learning the new defense but I would like to see them play better against the Vikes and if they don't their run defense will look worse next week that it did tonite.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah as much as I'm disapointed with T.J., Amobi is just as bad right now.....His occasional pass rush isn't worth all the times he's blown completely off the field on running plays. Amobi is simply a tweener right now, too big to beat tackles around the corner....too small to hold up at the POA against guards.

Another guy who isn't showing me much of anything is sadly.....Antonio Smith. He didn't do crap against the run either. I hope he won't be added to the long list of FA wash outs.

I was actually encouraged by A.Smith's play. He and Mario were collapsing the edges quite a bit. I think he over-pursued on a run but I don't recall seeing him driven off the ball.

I really developing a dislike for Okoye. On chron.com/sports, there is a little video of Okoye talking about the Defenses performance. He's not sure what went wrong. He says that you don't know anything until you look at the tape. Apparently, he's not aware that going on a piggy-back ride with saints olmen has a detrimental affect on their ability to stop the run. And this guy supposedly graduated with honors 2 years early? Hmm...
Old 08-23-2009   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 107649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fred Bennett doesn't appear to have good recovery speed, once he bites on a move someone else has to make the tackle. Didn't look good to me tonight.
Maybe it's just me, but I would have worded that a little stronger. The Saints knew it too.
Old 08-23-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I was actually encouraged by A.Smith's play. He and Mario were collapsing the edges quite a bit. I think he over-pursued on a run but I don't recall seeing him driven off the ball.

I really developing a dislike for Okoye. On chron.com/sports, there is a little video of Okoye talking about the Defenses performance. He's not sure what went wrong. He says that you don't know anything until you look at the tape. Apparently, he's not aware that going on a piggy-back ride with saints olmen has a detrimental affect on their ability to stop the run. And this guy supposedly graduated with honors 2 years early? Hmm...
Antonio Smith didn't have one single tackle tonight, for a guy who's billed as a run stopping DE, that's not good. This is the second game where he hasn't really been a factor....atleast not for the money we're paying him. Don't get me wrong I loved the hussle to pick up the loose ball that got turned over.
Old 08-23-2009   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah TBO i missed Travis johnson today has well there is no Way TJ would let people run on him like we seen today
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I would have worded that a little stronger. The Saints knew it too.
Bennett's problem is he bites on just about every move under the sun....also his hips aren't too hot for a CB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read