Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2009   #1
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I am Starting to miss Sage already

I hope Schaub stays healthy ALL year. Even though they say Orlosky has the physical tools, it's evident he needs alot of work on the mental side.

I am still giving the guy and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because they know talent alot more than I do. Let's go Texans. Come on Dan O, show me something.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #2
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I am Starting to miss Sage already

They got three qbs, maybe we could get him back?
Old 08-22-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Dan O is going to need some time in our system it looks like...

But to be fair, Sage had two offseasons and a full season here, before he was really counted on to start games for us.

But like you said.....hopefully Schaub doesn't get hurt this year.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 80974 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Right, Rosenfels never would've embarrassed himself by trying to do too much on one play.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #5
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Right, Rosenfels never would've embarrassed himself by trying to do too much on one play.
not saying he was the greatest. i am just saying that the learning curve wouldn't have been there and we have seemingly gotten the same result so far. I want us to be the best, period.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #6
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
not saying he was the greatest. i am just saying that the learning curve wouldn't have been there and we have seemingly gotten the same result so far. I want us to be the best, period.
yeah well they tried to get a QB that wouldn't have a learning curve didn't they? one with starting not to mention playoff experiences and unfortunately they forgot that Grossman was a first round bust with an exceptional D.

this is completely unrelated with this thread but when would anybody need to use this-> it popped up as one of the smiles on my original screen and i don't think i've seen a more pointless smiley
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I am Starting to miss Sage already
I submit for your viewing pleasure the definitive Sage Rosenfels highlight reel:

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
Old 08-22-2009   #8
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

sorry but I'm glad Rosencopter is gone.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
Anthony hill doesn't look too bad. Schaub just has to stay healthy and this is a none issue.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #10
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you guys have it exactly wrong.

1. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to obtain a backup QB who clearly has the skills to be a starter. If you happen to get one who meets this criteria, your team will probably not be able to hold onto him for very long. There are not anywhere close to 32 of the these guys in the league (one starter for each team), much less 64.

2. Orlovsky is a guy who is reasonably intelligent for an NFL player, and who has experience as an NFL starter. Granted, he did not lead his team to victory, but his successor, #1 overall pick Matt Stafford, is unlikely to either.

3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB, and Coach Kubiak has great confidence in him and his prospects to help the team going forward.

4. It is unreasonable to expect new QB's to start right away, or to be successful stepping in and leading a bad team to success. Football is a team game, and players take a few years to develop.

5. The Texans have done a tremendous job of recruiting and signing back-up QB's since the inception of the franchise. Tony Banks generally played well in a backup roll. Rosenfels was excellent, to the point where he was seriously discussed as a potential starter for the Texans. It appears that Rosenfels would have started for the Vikings this year if Favre had not made another comeback.

6. Orlovsky is an optimal developmental prospect, and an excellent signing of a #2 QB. Who could the Texans have signed that would have been better? What better can we reasonably expect going forward? Let's try and be reasonable here.

Once again, I think we are being too harsh on Orlovsky way too soon. Let's try not to be so quick to condemn our players and to jump to a negative conclusion so rapidly. What do you say guys?
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well i havent watched the second half yet but i think Dan O was doing good i even said to a guy that sits next time maybe one day Dan can challenge Matty for the starting job
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
I think you guys have it exactly wrong.

1. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to obtain a backup QB who clearly has the skills to be a starter. If you happen to get one who meets this criteria, your team will probably not be able to hold onto him for very long. There are not anywhere close to 32 of the these guys in the league (one starter fpr each team), much less 64.

2. Orlovsky is a guy who is reasonably intelligent for an NFL player, and who has experience as an NFL starter. Granted, he did not lead his team to victory, but his successor, #1 overall pick Matt Stafford, is unlikely to either.

3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB, and Kubiak has great confidence in him.

4. It is unreasonable to expect new QB's to start right away, or to be successful stepping in and leading a bad team to success. Football is a team game, and players take a few years to develop.

5. The Texans have done a tremendous job of recruiting and signing back-up QB's since the inception of the franchise. Tony Banks generally played well in a backup roll. Rosenfels was excellent, to the point where he was seriously discussed as a potential starter for the Texans, and to the extent wher he would have started for the Vikings this year if Favre had not made another comeback.

6. Orlovsky is an optimal developmental prospect, and an excellent signing of a #2 QB. Who could the Texans have signed that would have been better? What better can we reasonably expect going forward? Let's try and be reasonable here.

Once again, I think we are being too harsh on Orlovsky way too soon. Let's try not to be so quick to condemn our players and to jump to a negative conclusion so rapidly. What do you say guys?
I saw it last week and was surprised, a little more surprised still tonight all the negativity toward him.

To chime on Sage. Don't miss him a bit. I don't care what he does for another team I just - don't - miss him. eriadoc's links are just what I'm talking about. He was way too Oileresque for me. I've seen enough of that kind of tradition in Houston.
Old 08-23-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

DOnt worry he will be here monday how about u cheer for him then
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 80974 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Sage, but I like Orlovsky more. I had to keep track of him last year since Calvin Johnson was one of my fantasy receivers, and he did the best job of all the Lions' three QB's. As far as back-ups go, he's good talent with a lot of upside. His interception in this game didn't bother me, and his touchdown didn't surprise me.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I liked Sage, but I like Orlovsky more. I had to keep track of him last year since Calvin Johnson was one of my fantasy receivers, and he did the best job of all the Lions' three QB's. As far as back-ups go, he's good talent with a lot of upside. His interception in this game didn't bother me, and his touchdown didn't surprise me.
I agree, DanO will be a fine QB learning under Kubiac and company, and he will eventually be a better backup than Sage. But he isn't there just yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage is not a Texan I do not care if he does well or does poorly. It seems some forget all the boneheaded plays he made and only remember the few good ones.

For example the game against the titans in 2007, the good sage kept us in that game and threw TDs and the bad sage kept the titans in that game by throwing Int.

With Orlovsky I see the work that needs to be done and then I see the touch he has on the ball with the TD pass.

As far as this being the most useless smiley, nt sure that this is not ahead of it.
Old 08-23-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB...
It's not that apparent to me. Is Orlovsky a better athlete than Matt Schaub? Sure. But, that doesn't translate to tremendous athletic abilities. Orlovsky may have athleticism along the lines of Sage Rosenfels. Maybe even David Carr. Tremendous? I don't see it on the field.

If Gary Kubiak can coach anything (pause for dramatic effect), it's the QB position. He made Sage Rosenfels better. Hell, he made David Carr as good as he was ever going to be. I'll drink the koolaid and believe that he can get the most out of DanO. Will that be good enough? I'm not sure.

Last edited by Lucky; 08-23-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage is going to hand us our rear ends this Monday.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Sage is going to hand us our rear ends this Monday.
Either that or throw a bunch of ints.
Old 08-23-2009   #20
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's just hope it NEVER comes down to Grossman !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read