Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-22-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stretch Is Being Told the Big Screen TV Must Go...........

....................UP!

Jerry Jones doesn't want to move video board

Quote:
So with a rookie slappy punter who'll undoubtedly be pumping gas in South Carolina this time next month able to send a kicked ball into the floating, four-sided drive-in movie screen at Cowboys Stadium, owner Jerry Jones will order the thing to be moved higher from the stadium floor, right?

Wrong.

"You don't need to move it," Jones said after Friday night's game between the Cowboys and the Titans, according to Paul Kuharsky and Matt Mosley of ESPN.com. "You gotta be trying to do it. The rule is very clear. You just kick it over."

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair of the league's Competition Committee, doesn't agree.

"It's an issue, yeah," Fisher said. "I'm sure the Cowboys or the league will tell you, I shouldn't have to throw a flag out there because [the officiating crew] didn't see the ball hit the scoreboard. Now, it's not necessarily their responsibility. Once a fair catch signal is given, then there are no eyes on the ball anymore. So they don't see it. So something has to get worked out. It can become a problem."

Per ESPN.com, rookie punter A.J. Trapasso and veteran Craig Hentrich struck the video board repeatedly during pre-game warmups.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar, however, said that he doesn't think it will be a problem (thus guaranteeing his employment for 2009, and likely beyond).

Meanwhile, we're still not sure what we think about the board itself. For folks at home, the thing potentially undermines the overall aesthetics. While attending a game, there's a chance that folks might spend more time watching the grossly oversized television instead of focusing on the action on the field.

So, basically, plenty of folks might end up paying good money for the ability to watch the game on a television that will often remind folks of the big tree that branced over the street and prompted endless do-overs during the days of skinned knees and periodic shouts of "Car!"
LINK
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 203569 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Stretch Is Being Told the Big Screen TV Must Go...........

I would just like to point out once again, for the record, that Jerry Jones is from Arkansas (or is it OK?). Either way, it ain't TX.

Old 08-22-2009   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry is right and everyone else is wrong.
Old 08-22-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

From what my brother said at the McCartney concert and the game last night, the whole thing is being overblown and that in pregame they were trying to hit it. I personally think it should be raised just to make sure but we will see. It would be dumb to leave it with a chance. I've heard nothing but badass reviews of the place though. He gets 2 50 yarders for each home game and a pledge brother has a suite I'm supposed to go to....so I'm ready.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #5
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

The league needs to force him to do so. You DO NOT change the game for a giant screen. It is a great screen(s), just raise the damn thing. If you saw folks vantage points they need the screens inside the stadium. I drive by this huge stadium all the time, it is impressive, but I am curious how the noise will be with this type of design. Reliant rocks when the crowd does. I am not sure if that will happen on board the Death Star?

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #6
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
The league needs to force him to do so. You DO NOT change the game for a giant screen. It is a great screen(s), just raise the damn thing. If you saw folks vantage points they need the screens inside the stadium. I drive by this huge stadium all the time, it is impressive, but I am curious how the noise will be with this type of design. Reliant rocks when the crowd does. I am not sure if that will happen on board the Death Star?
It was deafening at the McCartney concert Wednesday night.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #7
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

If some object exists in the stadium that physically effects the play of the game, then it needs to be moved.

The place looks really nice. Bet its gonna be 1/2 empty and you won't see many of the same people sitting in the same seats with what JJ wants for a PSL and ticket.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2009   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It's no secret that this should have been anticipated. In the 1976 Pro Bowl, after Guy hit the Superdome screen, the league had the 90 foot clearance increased to 200 feet. It is not for Jeruh to determined who should or shouldn't be able to hit his screen. For some kickers it could tactically change their intended trajectory to a more acute angle with resulting shorter kicks or blocked kicks. Even though there may not be many Guys out there, those that have a "kick ass foot" should not be limited by a TV screen and the arrogance of an egocentric owner.
Old 08-22-2009   #9
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 27616 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just watching the replay of the game on NFLN....its so damn funny.

So much money, and Jerry can't even figure out a good place to put a videoboard. Its hilarious, and it obviously has to be moved. Just wait for a playoff game to be decided by a poor punt, because the original first good punt hit Jerry's television. I can't believe hes even trying to say it should stay. How about we place a new concession stand on the 20 yard sideline, overlapping a yard into the field. Just play around it...
Old 08-22-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

There maybe a simple reason that Jeruh is being belligerent concerning the thought of moving the screen. A friend of mine who is a commercial audeo-visual contractor related to me that the position of the large screen is positioned optimally for the expensive suite patrons. Even though the angle of view would not significantly be changed, it would be changed for just enough "inconvenience" to probably elicit complaints from his cash cows.

BTW, it is not as difficult to hit the undersurface of the video board as Jeruh would want us to believe...........since it gives a ridiculous 10,000 square foot rigging target...............a miniscule of what the two DiamondVision Superdome screens afforded Guy at a measly 29' x 36' dimension.
Old 08-22-2009   #11
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

If I was sitting in the upper decks of that stadium, I would not want to be looking straight forward into an enormous big screen TV. If I wanted to watch the game on TV, I would just stay home.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

The video board was at 90 feet last night which is within the NFL guidelines.

Perhaps that will be changed due to last night's game..I don't know.

They already had plans in place to move it for the upcoming U2 show..apparently they have a huge stage setup.

I imagine it will be moved up and down as needed.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Just had an idea if Jeruh wants to go a cheaper route...............lower the field by at least 50 feet. Then, at the end of the season, you can just cover Jeruh and the Girls with the left over dirt and give them a proper burial when again they miss the playoffs.
Old 08-22-2009   #14
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 23391 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I am curious as to what is the point of kicking a ball more than 90 feet high. Is it for hang time, or what? BTW, I like the screen just fine, and I like being there as well. Home entertainment systems just don't provide the same experience for me.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 87466 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I am curious as to what is the point of kicking a ball more than 90 feet high. Is it for hang time, or what? BTW, I like the screen just fine, and I like being there as well. Home entertainment systems just don't provide the same experience for me.
hang time.. if one can get close to a 5 second hang time then coverage has time to get there (I know it is obvious so just saying)

on a side note, i would love to see greg montgomery's kick again against the bronco's in preseason back in the day, I have never noticed a kick that high and that far since then...maybe it wasn't much but it seemed like it
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 106329 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The ploblem at hand it strange enough, but Jerry and the boy's reaction is even stranger. Just raise the effing thing!
Old 08-23-2009   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The ploblem at hand it strange enough, but Jerry and the boy's reaction is even stranger. Just raise the effing thing!
Heard it will be another 2 mil to do. Chump change for the cost but I'm sure it will get done. I think Jerry made some comments about it being a "condition" almost like it was Tal's hill with the flagpole.
Old 08-23-2009   #18
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 106329 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Heard it will be another 2 mil to do. Chump change for the cost but I'm sure it will get done. I think Jerry made some comments about it being a "condition" almost like it was Tal's hill with the flagpole.
Link please. If he really said that he really has a hard........problem with Houston.

BTW, I don't defend Tal's Hill and if that is Jerry's defense he is really off.

Last edited by Showtime100; 08-23-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Link please. If he really said that he really has a hard........problem with Houston.

BTW, I don't defend Tal's Hill and if that is Jerry's defense he is really off.
No, I compared it to Tal's Hill but his comment was that it was a "condition" like something that both teams have to deal with....to me it came across as that.
Old 08-23-2009   #20
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
No, I compared it to Tal's Hill but his comment was that it was a "condition" like something that both teams have to deal with....to me it came across as that.
Ok, your camparing it to Tal's Hill and saying Jerry said it is a Tal's Hill in and of itself.

Come on Frog, it's a joke and you know it. It's a joke Cowboy fans are with Jerry on this.

Lame ass attempt at diverting attention. Stick to the subjest for God sake.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read