Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With okam less is more

Many have seen his potential. We may now be able to enjoy his production.

Quote:
By losing weight, Texans DT Frank Okam believes he has improved his agility, his footwork and even his strength

After an impressive preseason game at Kansas City, defensive tackle Frank Okam is raising more than a few eyebrows around Texans training camp.

“Frank was impressive in the game,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “He played a lot of plays. You're starting to see young veteran backup players starting to play like they belong on the field a lot, and that's important for our team. It's a big step forward for Frank.”

Okam, a former University of Texas star, was honored to be on the receiving end of a compliment from Kubiak, a former Texas A&M Aggie, but it was an even stranger scene after Wednesday morning's practice when several Texans fans shouted his first name just to congratulate his good play.

Okam is more accustomed to people calling him a bust or a letdown, but as a fifth-round pick entering his second season, he's prepared to grow into a bigger role.

“Sure, I had two batted balls, but after watching the film, there's still a lot of things that I can improve on,” Okam said. “I'm pleased with my play, and I'm glad the coaches are complimenting me, but I still have plenty of work to do to make myself better.”

Quote:
Okam's value to the Texans' defense has increased dramatically in recent weeks.

It seems like a long two months ago when he showed up at OTAs overweight, much to the displeasure of Kubiak, who said in June that Okam couldn't run stunts and be as athletic as he needed to be if he weighed 360 pounds. Still the team's heaviest player, Okam currently weighs about 335 pounds but is more agile than he has been in a long time.

A weighty commitment

As a senior at Lake Highlands High School in Dallas, Okam ran a 4.9 40-yard dash and posted a 29-inch vertical leap, impressive abilities to complement his strength. But at UT and after his rookie season with the Texans, Okam developed a reputation for not being able to keep his weight down.

But that's changing.

“I knew I had to make a commitment to help this team any way possible,” he said.

So Okam worked vigorously throughout the summer with Texans strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright and stayed true to his diet. One of the things people were talking about the first day of training camp was how much he had slimmed down. Many were concerned that with the weight loss, he had lost his power.

Plenty of power

“Actually, I got a little stronger,” Okam said. “It was part of a program they set out for me, and I just went by it to the T, and it all took care of itself. I'm feeling much more capable of doing the things that I need to be doing, and my footwork has improved.”

Okam's power has always been one of his strengths as a defensive tackle. If he's not the strongest player on the team, he's at least in contention.

“I'd say it's pretty close between me and Mario (Williams),” Okam said. “Mario's a freak of nature. There are some lifts where I can do more than him, and there's probably a lot of lifts where he can do more than me.

“But I'm up there — definitely top three.”
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With okam less is more

Okam calls Mario a freak of nature! LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #3
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty excited by Okam's progress so far, hopefully he continues to show up in games and keeps turning up that motor.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to say that weight loss is the key component of Okam's emergence. I'd say it was more due to playing like a big mean badass and not an even bigger softy mcsoftersons. Just kiddin'....but really, he looks like he dropped 50 pounds, not 20. I don't know about stronger, maybe everything just feels lighter haha....His impact was noticeable on several plays. He looks like a guy whose effort is catching up to his talent. I'd love to see where his progression goes next but I'll enjoy this first step for what it is.

Top 3? Mario, Okam....who?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

If Smith and Kubiak continue to have the kinds of drafts they've been having, where they find a Frank Okam in the 5th round, there will be no stopping this team for years to come.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

It still bothers me that he showed up to OTAs grossly out of shape - but right now, he's showing improvement - and more than that, he's showing it ON THE FIELD. So I'm pretty excited.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #7
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
It still bothers me that he showed up to OTAs grossly out of shape - but right now, he's showing improvement - and more than that, he's showing it ON THE FIELD. So I'm pretty excited.
Sometimes, a guy just needs a wake-up call. Getting his then-ample behind chewed at OTA's because of his weight may have been his. Hopefully, his weighty arrival at OTA's (or, more accurately, the way he responded afterwards) will go down as the turning point in his career. If he plays like he did Saturday between September 2009 and (hopefully) February 2010, no one will care what he was doing between January and May of 2009.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2009   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully he's not like most of us that once we lose weight we go back to our old diet and non-exercise program, hopefully he stays with it and continues to workout get stronger and lose another 10 lbs..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #9
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Why the hell cant TJ get his wake up call?
Old 08-20-2009   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Why the hell cant TJ get his wake up call?
He's gotten plenty of them. He just hits the snooze button and goes back to sleep.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Sometimes, a guy just needs a wake-up call.
I dunno maybe he bombed his LSAT ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been hearing this stuff about Okam for like 3 straight years now. Wake me up when this huge improvement actually happens.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I read this article on chron.com this morning. What bothers me about Okam is he seems to be one of those type of people/players who will have to stay on top of his weight/eating habits for the rest of his life. It will require a lot of discipline on his part and I'm not sure, at this point, if he has that or not. If he stays with it over the span of 2 or 3 years, especially during the off season, it could bode well for his health and career, not to mention the Texans D-line play. Time will tell. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Brice McCain should walk up to Okam and slap him silly then run using his 4.33 speed to stay just out of Frank's reach. After about ten minutes, as Okam hangs his head panting, McCain slips up behind him and kicks him in the butt. A few days of this and the NT will be at 310lbs and hopefully as mad as hell. My concern with this is when game one whistle blows, Okam will turn from the LOS and bull rush the corner and body slam the little guy who is so shocked that Okam could move that quickly.
Old 08-20-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I've been hearing this stuff about Okam for like 3 straight years now. Wake me up when this huge improvement actually happens.
This is the beginning of his 2nd season. The huge improvement just happened last Saturday!! Did you see Okam? He was on fire at times. That's a huge improvement over being inactive for 80% of the year. We'll see if it was real or not if that kind of play continues but there's no denying that was a leap for Okam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Brice McCain should walk up to Okam and slap him silly then run using his 4.33 speed to stay just out of Frank's reach. After about ten minutes, as Okam hangs his head panting, McCain slips up behind him and kicks him in the butt. A few days of this and the NT will be at 310lbs and hopefully as mad as hell. My concern with this is when game one whistle blows, Okam will turn from the LOS and bull rush the corner and body slam the little guy who is so shocked that Okam could move that quickly.
Nice!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
This is the beginning of his 2nd season. The huge improvement just happened last Saturday!! Did you see Okam? He was on fire at times. That's a huge improvement over being inactive for 80% of the year. We'll see if it was real or not if that kind of play continues but there's no denying that was a leap for Okam.
I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I figured he was going back to Okam's college days. He disappeared in his junior or senior year after looking dominant early iirc.
Like many college players going to NFL I think Frank figured he could just show up and place his large corpuscle in the main shipping lanes like a u-boat and be successful. Maybe he has come to realize it takes a wee bit more to kiss the Blarney Stone. If this guy actually becomes what many of us thought he could he could be as good or better than Raji. If so, this will be one of the better selections ever made by Texans. Shutting down the run would no longer be an issue.
Old 08-20-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Like many college players going to NFL I think Frank figured he could just show up and place his large corpuscle in the main shipping lanes like a u-boat and be successful. Maybe he has come to realize it takes a wee bit more to kiss the Blarney Stone. If this guy actually becomes what many of us thought [b][/B]he could he could be as good or better than Raji. If so, this will be one of the better selections ever made by Texans. Shutting down the run would no longer be an issue.
I don't think I have ever seen "he could he could" in a sentence. I amaze me.
Old 08-20-2009   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Frank went through a number of defensive coordinators at Texas. He was asked to perform different functions under each DC.

Frank's last year was under Duane Akina who failed as DC and was demoted back to secondary coach after that one year.

I think Big Frank will do great in Bush's scheme.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #20
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okam's stats by season:

He didn't really disappear. He just failed to live up to the lofty expectations of the average Longhorn fan. I went to UT. I root for the Horns in every game, in every sport. That being said, there might not be a fan base I loathe more than UT fans. They either love a guy, or hate him. They decide early. And nothing ever changes their mind.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read