Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2005   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jamie Sharper/Derrick Johnson

If, hypothetically speaking, the Texans were to draft Derrick Johnson, it is my understanding that he would play Weakside Inside Linebacker for the Texans. Isn't that Jamie Sharper's current position? If it is, I assume that Jamie would be moved to Stongside Inside Linebacker. How easy would it be for him to make that transition? Would Sharper's existing skill set enable him to excel at this position?

I saw a couple of mock drafts that had the Texans picking Derrick Johnson. These are in the minority, and most mock drafts have him going earlier. However, I was allowing myself to fantasize a bit, and it started me wondering about how Derrick's addition to the defense would effect Jamie Sharper's role.

You guys seem to be the world experts on the Texans, so I was hoping you would share your thoughts on the topic.

Thanks,

MojoMan
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a good thread over at HoustonProFootball about the difference between the buc and mac LB positions.
Old 01-25-2005   #3
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

sounds like DJ would make for a total badass mac LB
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems that Derrick Johnson has that big play knack. That would make teams have to account for him . Would'nt it be fun to start bringing players from all directions.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

if derrick johnson was somehow there at the 13th pick i think it would be close to impossible for casserly not to pick him up...you're talking about the best linebacker the nation has seen in years not to mention he's a texas native...with that being said whether ILB is our biggest need if johnson is there i would hope they pick him up just because of his talent alone
Old 01-26-2005   #6
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

OOPPPSS, I had to edit this because the article was from last year...

Last edited by shinerbock_girl; 01-26-2005 at 09:31 AM.
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The one reason I would like to pick him up is because we face some very good passing attacks at least 6 times a year. At UT DJ was a very good cover LB and actually was rarely used as a blitzing LB. If you remember the game in Indy, Dallas Clark ate Foreman's lunch. I don't think they get away with that as much if DJ comes here.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2005   #8
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
The one reason I would like to pick him up is because we face some very good passing attacks at least 6 times a year. At UT DJ was a very good cover LB and actually was rarely used as a blitzing LB. If you remember the game in Indy, Dallas Clark ate Foreman's lunch. I don't think they get away with that as much if DJ comes here.
Do you think there is any chance of Dallas signing him first????
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

it would be a dangerious duo with them 2, i'm sure he'll go before have a chance to get him.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I hope that the impossible happens and DJ falls to 13, he would be a stable fixture in the middle of the field for many years to come, I see him coming in as a rookie and being better than Jonathan Vilma was this year, and I mean much better, hes just so fast, he has great hands, and though he rarely lays the big hit, he tackles low and the ball carrier will go down, not to mention, he is an expert with that bolo strip move, he forced a record 6 FUMBLES his last season at UT he would definitely help us in the turnover battle wiht his ability to force fumbles and get INTs.
Old 01-26-2005   #11
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah i watched UT play alot this year and he is sure a play maker, some players have a hard time adjusting to the NFL compared to others, but if he wasnt good at first he would eventually be !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOWboy H8r
DERRICK JOHNSON IS THE MAN! HIS JERSEY # AT UT WAS 11, SO FOR THE TEXANS 51 WOULD SOUND NICE!
He might have to fight Polk for it since it's his number right now.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #13
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOWboy H8r
DERRICK JOHNSON IS THE MAN! HIS JERSEY # AT UT WAS 11, SO FOR THE TEXANS 51 WOULD SOUND NICE!

Can linebackers wear 60 in the NFL ? That would look Sweet.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #14
Apoc6
Rookie

Default DJ for PREZ.......or texan middle lb

I think that DJ would obviously be an extreme playmaker for the texans. The only problem as some of you stated before was him even being available at # 13. If for some strange reason he is then yes there is no reason you would not take him. And also speaking of mock drafts.... i saw a few boards having us take that TE from Virginia, please NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
peace.
Apoc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005   #15
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont think we have that much of a need for tight end to take Heath Miller in the 1st, but can you imagine Dj in the 3-4, it fits him perfectly, the DL is supposed to take up multiple blockers so he can do what he does best, fly around from sideline to sideline.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read