Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2009   #1
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN Ratings

ESPN does annual scouting reports on the players, grades them and ranks them:

Here is the key:

100-90: Elite Player
Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game ... Premier NFL player who has all the skills to consistently play at a championship level ... Rates as one of the top players in the league at his position.

89-80: Outstanding Player
Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL ... A feature player who has an impact on the outcome of the game ... Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week-in and week-out.

79-70: Good Starter
Solid starter who is close to being an outstanding player ... Has few weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchup but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the league.

69-60: Average Starter
A valuable roster player but is not dominant against the better players he faces on a week-to-week basis... Gives great effort and you are glad that he is on your team, but he may or may not go to the next level.

59- 50: Good Backup
A player who is on the bubble and starts only because of a deficiency at the position ... He lacks complete overall skills, and although he will battle he will hinder his team's ability to play at a championship level if he is forced to be in the starting lineup consistently over a 16-game season ... A player you don't mind having on your team but someone you are always looking to upgrade.

Offense

QB: Schaub is ranked 17th best QB in the league, with a rating of 73 behind Joe Flacco and Matt Hasselbeck.

RB: Slaton is Ranked as the 23rd best RB, with a rating of 73 behind such luminaries as Clifton Smith (WTF? 2008 - 8 carries 40 yards), and Darren McFadden.

WR:

AJ (Tied for the 3rd best player in the league with Peyton Manning and 5 others): Johnson is ranked first tied with Reggie Wayne, and Randy Moss with a 93, making him the best player on our team. No problem he clearly is that, but Reggie Wayne is better than Fitzgerald, I don't know about that.

KW: 64 or the 60th best reciever in the NFL. I think he is one of the best #2 in the league personally.

TE: 8th best TE in the league with a 76 bracketed by Cooley and Olsen.

O-Line:

Eric Winston 77 - 13th best bracketed by Jake Long and Bryant McKinnie

Chester Pitts 75 - They don't have the guards ranked properly some kind of glitch.

Duane Brown 72 - Bracketed by D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Flozell Adams

FB:

Vonta Leach 61 - 10th ranked FB bracketed by Peyton Hillis and Lawrence Vickers

Defense

CB:

Dunta Robinson 78 - 15 ranked CB bracketed by Antoine Winfield and Cortland Finnegan

Fred Bennett 64 - 70th ranked CB Bracketed by Fred Smoot and Jacques Reeves

DE:

Mario Williams 91 (tied for the 18th best player in the league) - Tied for first w/Peppers right in front of Jared Allen

Antonio Smith 72 - 27th ranked DE bracketed by Ogunleye and Chris Kelsay

DT:

Okoye 74 - 27th ranked DT, bracketed by and Jovan Haye and Mike Patterson

TJ: 67 - 37th ranked DT, bracketed by Ryan Pickett and Grady Jackson. They used such words as explosive off the snap, excellent athlete and penetrator.

LB:

DRyans 81 - 13 ranked LB bracketed by Urlacher and Ray Lewis

S:

Eugene Wilson 66 - 47th ranked S bracketed by Jim Leonhard and Dwan Landry

K:

Kris Brown 15th ranked K.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN Ratings

So which genius at ESPN made these rankings? Matthew Berry the fantasy guy? Or that disgusting troll Eric Karabell?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what happens when you're not an East coast team. ESPiN sux balls.
Old 08-18-2009   #4
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
That's what happens when you're not an East coast team. ESPiN sux balls.
No thats what happens when you don't ride Mort's nutsack and you also have people who cant look passed the Titans/Colts players. I swear if it wasn't for baseball tonight I would never watch ESPN ever.
Old 08-19-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerato View Post
no thats what happens when you don't ride mort's nutsack and you also have people who cant look passed the titans/colts players. I swear if it wasn't for monopolies on national sports coverage i would never watch espn ever.
fify
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, I was hoping this would be about ESPN's ratings going down.
Old 08-19-2009   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's terribly accurate. I hate ESPN as much as some of you guys do. But the simple fact is, we don't have 13 superstar players on this team we have 2. 2 We have many "up-and-comings". Guys like Demeco sandwiched between Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis!!!!?????!!!! Both of those guys were considered the best in the NFL in the last 5 years. And Ryans is simply sandwiched between them after a stellar freshman year as well as an injury plagued year last year. Oh, and by the way, he's been the star on an AWFUL defense since his induction into the league. That takes alot. It's pretty accurate.

I'd bet we have more "above average players than many teams do. It's that combination of "above average" and "team" that makes us a very difficult opponent. It makes us a "darling" of this season. We are "up-and-coming".

Next year, or the year after that, you can expect those rankings to improve.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2009   #8
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

National sports media --especially ESPN-- never gets it right when it comes to the Texans. Their lazy analysis reminds me of a homework assignment that was done the night before and turned in late.

Steve Slaton as an "average" back... He was in the top five for total yards, and had the most yards of any rookie, including Matt Forte and Chris Johnson. Sounds average to me!

Kevin Walter. He had over 800 yards and as many touchdowns as Andre Johnson. I guess he's average too.

Matter of fact, let's just assume that mediocrity will get you into the Pro Bowl. Apparently ESPN thinks so.

I'm going to stop there, before I could go down the entire list. What's going to happen is the Texans are going to light it up this year, achieve at least #2 in the league on offense, and the talking heads at ESPN will pretend that they predicted this the whole time.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

where are the saints players ranked?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #10
whiskeyrbl

And these stats mean what exactly? It is BSPN ya know.
Old 08-19-2009   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yall need to get over ESPN and just quit watching the damn channel. My TV is NEVER tuned to ESPN unless there is an actual live football game going on. I don't listen to their crappy news or pay any attention to what they have to say. I get about 90% of all my football news from this place, the last 10% is from NFLN. Although there is nothing on NFLN that I haven't heard here first, I just get a different perspective on it. ESPN is just a bunch of *&$*^# brainless blowhards sucking up to successful teams.

I dare say, when the Texans start kicking everyones ass and win a super bowl or two, there'll be a lot of changed minds about ESPN's coverage around here. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

At least Madden's ratings have a video game with it.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #13
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as their Texans rankings I only take serious issue with KW, and SS.

I don't think there are 32 receivers better than K-Dub, and certainly not twice that many.

Slaton is easily top 10. I don't know what they were smoking.

I was surprised to see Brown in the same region as D'brick. IMO he can't hold Ferguson's jock strap at this point in their respective careers.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #14
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton's is the most puzzling....

I never watch ESPN unless the NASCAR race is on.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #15
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, let me ask you something.... Why does it matter what "ranking" they are ? Does it really matter who thinks what of whom, really? So what, they are one mans opinion, you have yours too.. So what ESPN or whatever media says, as at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Wins and losses are the only thing that does matter..A players "ranking" does not..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #16
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I call BS on 14 Kickers better than Kris Brown.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Slaton's is the most puzzling....

I never watch ESPN unless the NASCAR race is on.
Okoye ranked with the same grade as Pitts is idiotic also. Okoye is the most overrated player on this team. He gets pushed around like a lawnmower. Chester was a pro bowl alternate last season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Okoye ranked with the same grade as Pitts is idiotic also. Okoye is the most overrated player on this team. He gets pushed around like a lawnmower. Chester was a pro bowl alternate last season.
Yeah, no doubt. Antonio Smith should even be ranked higher than Okoye.
Old 08-19-2009   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why I watch NFLN, as long as it is not Deon or Marshal Faulk the coverage is as close to fair and blanced as there is. Faulk is very biased for what ever reason. That and I personally think he is a dumbass.
Old 08-19-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think it's terribly accurate. I hate ESPN as much as some of you guys do. But the simple fact is, we don't have 13 superstar players on this team we have 2. 2 We have many "up-and-comings". Guys like Demeco sandwiched between Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis!!!!?????!!!! Both of those guys were considered the best in the NFL in the last 5 years. And Ryans is simply sandwiched between them after a stellar freshman year as well as an injury plagued year last year. Oh, and by the way, he's been the star on an AWFUL defense since his induction into the league. That takes alot. It's pretty accurate.

I'd bet we have more "above average players than many teams do. It's that combination of "above average" and "team" that makes us a very difficult opponent. It makes us a "darling" of this season. We are "up-and-coming".

Next year, or the year after that, you can expect those rankings to improve.
I agree with most of what you're saying here, but one thing I want to point out is that I was looking at Demeco's numbers last season, and they were a lot better than what I had remembered. A lot of people act like he didn't have that great of a season because it wasn't as good as his rookie year, but he still had a pretty damn good season and especially for a guy who was hurt and plays on a team with hardly any pass rush at all other than Mario.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read