Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-20-2009   #41
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Preseason game 2:New Orleans @ Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Even if Drew Brees were to go down, they have Mark Brunell as their #2. I watched that "old man" out there today.
He can still chuck it.

...wonder if they'd trade him to us for T.J. and Dan-O?
J/K
(unless they'd go for it...)
Sat next to Brunell on a plane out of Dulles when he was still with the skins. Really nice guy but I have to question his movie taste. He was watching "The Final Countdown" on a portable DVD player.

What - someone had already checked "Gymkata" out from Blockbuster?

That's not related to anything but it came to mind and I felt a deep obligation to share it with y'all.
Old 08-20-2009   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yall are beginning to make me nervous with all this bad talk about DanO.
I was talking about how an announcer praise DanO's ability in his read progression.
An example I just saw in the Vikings game give me even more confidence.

It was 2-6 at the Lions 17.
The Lions was in single back, 2-TE formation, 2 WRs split on each side.
It took DanO a little less than 3 secs to deliver the ball to R.Williams 7 yds beyond the first down marker (he would gain another 4 yds for a total of 17 on the play).

First, as he took the snap from center, DanO looked ahead toward the middle.
Then he darted left for Calvin Johnson.
He went back to the middle, then looked inside left.
Then he looked outside left where the TE had broken out to.
The TE was about 3 yds short of the marker, with a LB bearing down on him.
He had a slight chance for the first down.
DanO pumped, looked, locked in... and just as you thought he would go to the TE, he went back inside to the WR Williams.
17yd and a first down.

He didn't pull out a win, but the Vikings needed to kick a FG in the last minute to win that game 12-10.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #43
One Time
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 One Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVP

Quote:
It's called drinking the hometeam koolade.
If we had Reggie, I'd be defending that pick too. And with Deuce and Pierre Thomas running effectively between the tackles they aren't desparate for him to carry the rushing load. And with Bush being quasi-effective part of the passing game and special teams he's not a complete waste of a uni. So if I were a Saints fan, I would try and make that argument.
Huh! I guess all teams drink their own kool-aid, because 90 to 95% of Saints fans would NOT trade Bush for Williams. Especially when the Saints are pretty deep at DE anyway. Kinda like how the Houston Chronicle seems to have a staff of homers and report NONE of the dominating things the Saints have done in the practices, like Michael Jenkins 70 yard INT yesterday and Tracy Porter's 90 yard one today.

When healthy, Bush has lived up to his billing mostly. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As for a game he "dominated"? Couple of candidates could be the 49er game of '06, or the Vikings game of '08.

Why can't Texans fans just be happy with their guy instead of the constant need to bring up Reggie Bush?

On a side note, why did they get rid of the "Oilers"? That team had history and I LOVED the unis. The new "Texan" stuff is a bit corny.

Cheers!
One Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #44
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Time View Post
Huh! I guess all teams drink their own kool-aid, because 90 to 95% of Saints fans would NOT trade Bush for Williams. Especially when the Saints are pretty deep at DE anyway. Kinda like how the Houston Chronicle seems to have a staff of homers and report NONE of the dominating things the Saints have done in the practices, like Michael Jenkins 70 yard INT yesterday and Tracy Porter's 90 yard one today.

When healthy, Bush has lived up to his billing mostly. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

As for a game he "dominated"? Couple of candidates could be the 49er game of '06, or the Vikings game of '08.

Why can't Texans fans just be happy with their guy instead of the constant need to bring up Reggie Bush?

On a side note, why did they get rid of the "Oilers"? That team had history and I LOVED the unis. The new "Texan" stuff is a bit corny.

Cheers!
Deuce isn't with the team anymore, Thomas seems to have injury problems, and exactly what billing are you referring to? I understand defending ones favorite teams picks, but that's just an outright falshood that Bush has lived up to anything remotely resembling his billing. You didn't drink the koolade, you made it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #45
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh! I guess all teams drink their own kool-aid, because 90 to 95% of Saints fans would NOT trade Bush for Williams. Especially when the Saints are pretty deep at DE anyway.
Which is exactly why they're the ones drinking the koolaid, because 90 to 95% of the rest of NFL fans would trade Bush for Mario, without hesitation. Anyone who is not seeing through Black and gold glasses can see that a DPOY caliber defensive end is much more valuable than a middle of the road RB who you can find in practically every draft.

Last edited by ReliantTexan; 08-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #46
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cheers!
Why can't we forget about Reggie Bush? Most of us already have. Slaton ran damn near as much in his first year as Bush did in three. As to the history of why we can't forget about Bush, well for a long time we had Bush shoved down our throats by the media and some of our own fans. It was as irratating as the frigging Cowboy fans in Houston, and we are still reacting to that.

On your little side note, we didn't "get rid" of the Oilers, the fat pig that owned them left town while we was still paying for his frigging improvements to the Astrodome.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #47
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Mario should dominate Saturday. Saints LT Brown will be out with what is beleived to be a sports hernia. Mario was a constant presence in the backfield today against whoever backed up LT.

Bush might've tweaked his knee during after practice drills. Imagine that
so I take it that this was about a replay of the 2007 picture I have stashed (can't remember if this was andy's picture or not from Texansbullpen

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2009   #48
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Why can't we forget about Reggie Bush? Most of us already have. Slaton ran damn near as much in his first year as Bush did in three. As to the history of why we can't forget about Bush, well for a long time we had Bush shoved down our throats by the media and some of our own fans. It was as irratating as the frigging Cowboy fans in Houston, and we are still reacting to that.

On your little side note, we didn't "get rid" of the Oilers, the fat pig that owned them left town while we was still paying for his frigging improvements to the Astrodome.
right.. and media still brings it up from time to time
Old 08-20-2009   #49
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
so I take it that this was about a replay of the 2007 picture I have stashed (can't remember if this was andy's picture or not from Texansbullpen

Geez, those "Take it Away" shorts are so weird looking.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #50
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cheers!
I think I saw Tracy Porter's pick. I'm fairly sure that was off of Alex Brink - the 3rd string QB who just got off the sofa and into camp on Monday. You want props?
Okay.
Yaay for T.P.

Seriously, I was talking to the Saints fans that were where I was sitting and we agreed both teams just need their respective defenses to step it up and we'd both be bound for the playoffs. Both offenses are ready - assuming the starting QBs stay healthy.

And the guys from the local rag are supposed to talk up the local team. You had reps from your local news. I would hope they talked up the Saints. That's just how it works.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #51
One Time
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 One Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVPOne Time was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Deuce isn't with the team anymore, Thomas seems to have injury problems, and exactly what billing are you referring to? I understand defending ones favorite teams picks, but that's just an outright falshood that Bush has lived up to anything remotely resembling his billing. You didn't drink the koolade, you made it.
Thomas has injury problems? When and where? Guy averaged 5 yards a pop last season so don't be surprised if he has a good game tomorrow. This will be his first chance at a 16 game season since Deuce left. He was hardly ever used and buried on the depth chart before last season for injury to hamper him. Can't get injured on the sidelines. Where do you get this stuff?

Also, I'm speaking for Saints fans since we are the ones who have seen Bush perform in EVERY game. Not ESPN snippets. We know his value both with AND without the ball, so no, I'd say the vast majority would NOT trade him for Mario. Especially since I already mentioned that the Saints are very deep at DE.

How you can speak for other NFL fans of other cities, I do not know.

Last edited by One Time; 08-20-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2009   #52
One Time
Rookie

Quote:
I think I saw Tracy Porter's pick. I'm fairly sure that was off of Alex Brink - the 3rd string QB who just got off the sofa and into camp on Monday. You want props?
Okay.
Yaay for T.P.

Seriously, I was talking to the Saints fans that were where I was sitting and we agreed both teams just need their respective defenses to step it up and we'd both be bound for the playoffs. Both offenses are ready - assuming the starting QBs stay healthy.

And the guys from the local rag are supposed to talk up the local team. You had reps from your local news. I would hope they talked up the Saints. That's just how it works.
Jenkins got your starting QB yesterday, and I would check and make sure Porter's pick was on a 3rd string QB, because he is one of our starting corners. Why would our 1st string unit be going against your 3rd?

Also, you can be objective. Our media, which isnt great by any stretch, reported when Brown got tossed by Williams, but then they ALSO reported he stoned Williams on the next rep. BALANCE in reporting ain't bad.
Old 08-20-2009   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Cheers!
LOL. You don't even know enough of NFL history (recent history, at that) to know that we didn't just decide to change our team's name and logo.

Bud Adams (he owns the Titans, in case you didn't know) owns the Oilers' likeness rights and all that goes with it. He wanted the city of Houston to set him up in a fantastic new stadium, upon the shoulders of tax payers, and the city told him enough is enough. Bud then threw a fit and took his toys and went to Nashville.

You've been to one too many Mardis Gras events if you think Reggie has lived up to his hype. Oh, you threw out the "mostly" word in order to try and squeeze that outrageous claim by us.

Look at Steve Slaton's rushing yards in ONE season, compared with Reggie's entire three seasons.

Bush has played in 38 games and has 1,550 yds. of rushing. That's an average of under 41 yards per game.

Slaton has played in 16 games and has 1,282 yds. of rushing. That's an average of 80 yards per game.

Twice as much rushing production, packaged in a 3rd rounder named Slaton.

But Reggie has an edge in the "decoy" category. LOL.
Old 08-20-2009   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jenkins got your starting QB yesterday, and I would check and make sure Porter's pick was on a 3rd string QB, because he is one of our starting corners. Why would our 1st string unit be going against your 3rd?

Also, you can be objective. Our media, which isnt great by any stretch, reported when Brown got tossed by Williams, but then they ALSO reported he stoned Williams on the next rep. BALANCE in reporting ain't bad.
LOL.

We get it: You love the Saints.

Old 08-20-2009   #55
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thomas has injury problems? When and where? Guy averaged 5 yards a pop last season so don't be surprised if he has a good game tomorrow. This will be his first chance at a 16 game season since Deuce left. He was hardly ever used and buried on the depth chart before last season for injury to hamper him. Can't get injured on the sidelines. Where do you get this stuff?

Also, I'm speaking for Saints fans since we are the ones who have seen Bush perform in EVERY game. Not ESPN snippets. We know his value both with AND without the ball, so no, I'd say the vast majority would NOT trade him for Mario. Especially since I already mentioned that the Saints are very deep at DE.

How you can speak for other NFL fans of other cities, I do not know.
I agree that the Saints are deep at DE, so maybe ya'll wouldn't swap RB for Mario, but I've also heard a lot of Saints fans saying that Reggie has done more as a pro than Mario. Like you said, I'm sure most Saints fans haven't seen Mario perform in more than 3 or 4 games. Plus, I'm sure that ESPN shows more Reggie highlights than Mario highlights. I'm curious how much of Mario you've seen?

Frankly, I'm happy with Slaton. Runs just as well as Reggie (IMO!) for a 3rd rounder. Sure, maybe he's not a "decoy" (I hate that term), and definitely not the receiving threat, but hey, he was a third rounder, not "the best RB prospect in decades" and the "next coming of Barry Sanders!".
Old 08-20-2009   #56
buddyboy
All Pro

Quote:
I don't think you realize the extent of the constant bashing of the Texans following the 2006 draft.
Old 08-20-2009   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Practice!??
We talkin' 'bout practice!
Not a game...
...Practice!

LOL

sorry, I just had to get that in.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #58
Wolf
100% Texan

williams "decoy" status would have gone through the roof if Weaver and others would have taken advantage of it ..

2006 had 4 of the teams 28 sacks
2007 had 14 of the teams 31 sacks
2008 had 12 of the teams 25 sacks

totals of 30 of the teams overall 84 sacks (per nfl.com)

nothing to read into just saying

man I hope bush and bill kohler gets this group going and Smith is the real deal
Old 08-20-2009   #59
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I don't think you realize the extent of the constant bashing of the Texans following the 2006 draft.
quoted for truth.

It was over-the-top smack talk by all sports media, and NFL fans everywhere. For a whole year.

And now? It's this--
Old 08-20-2009   #60
One Time
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. You don't even know enough of NFL history (recent history, at that) to know that we didn't just decide to change our team's name and logo.

Bud Adams (he owns the Titans, in case you didn't know) owns the Oilers' likeness rights and all that goes with it. He wanted the city of Houston to set him up in a fantastic new stadium, upon the shoulders of tax payers, and the city told him enough is enough. Bud then threw a fit and took his toys and went to Nashville.

You've been to one too many Mardis Gras events if you think Reggie has lived up to his hype. Oh, you threw out the "mostly" word in order to try and squeeze that outrageous claim by us.

Look at Steve Slaton's rushing yards in ONE season, compared with Reggie's entire three seasons.

Bush has played in 38 games and has 1,550 yds. of rushing. That's an average of under 41 yards per game.

Slaton has played in 16 games and has 1,282 yds. of rushing. That's an average of 80 yards per game.

Twice as much rushing production, packaged in a 3rd rounder named Slaton.

But Reggie has an edge in the "decoy" category. LOL.
Ummm no, I'm well aware of how the "name game" goes. You see, we had this team called the New Orleans Jazz, then our ruthless owner took them to Salt Lake City, along with the colors and uni, and now you have the Utah Jazz...

There was talk that our present NBA team owner could purchase back the old name and colors, but it fell through. Thus the question about the Oilers. You off your high donkey now?

Also, what are Slaton's punt return and receiving numbers? We all knew Bush would not be an every down running back, and has been used in many different ways. Kinda false to only talk about his rushing numbers...don't ya think?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read