Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-19-2009   #21
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Preseason game 2:New Orleans @ Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Having watched most of y'alls first game on replay I agree with you, unfortunately. They do seem a bit more agressive than in the past. That said, I have no doubt at all that our offense will move the ball with ease. Like always, it's what we do with it inside the 20 and not turning it over.
Right. More aggressive for sure, although whether or not that translates to "more effective", who knows? Still up in the air.

I definitely don't expect to shut you guys down, that would be pretty unreasonable. But I do hope to see us force a couple of turnovers and be able to get off the field in 3rd and long situations, both of which have been our achille's heel for several years now. I suspect we'll still get gashed for a big play here and there, but at least it feels as if there's some tangible reward associated with the risks we're likely to take.
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Right. More aggressive for sure, although whether or not that translates to "more effective", who knows? Still up in the air.

I definitely don't expect to shut you guys down, that would be pretty unreasonable. But I do hope to see us force a couple of turnovers and be able to get off the field in 3rd and long situations, both of which have been our achille's heel for several years now. I suspect we'll still get gashed for a big play here and there, but at least it feels as if there's some tangible reward associated with the risks we're likely to take.
Sounds very familiar! End the end, I think both our teams are very, very similar. We both have a potent offense coupled with a mediocre defense. We've both made a lot of moves on the defensive side of the ball during the offseason. I reckon it all comes down to which defense can buy into the newer scheme and be successful the quickest.
Old 08-19-2009   #23
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 15 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

An interesting turn this thread has took, for I was browsing some Saints forums the other day seeking their opinion on Mario Williams after all these years. Apparently many if not most still believe Reggie Bush to be the superior pick. The reasoning, from what I understand, is that Bush enables their offense more than Mario Williams would have enabled their defense, and that Bush was integral for their playoff run, while we still have yet to have a winning season even with Mario.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWade View Post
An interesting turn this thread has took, for I was browsing some Saints forums the other day seeking their opinion on Mario Williams after all these years. Apparently many if not most still believe Reggie Bush to be the superior pick. The reasoning, from what I understand, is that Bush enables their offense more than Mario Williams would have enabled their defense, and that Bush was integral for their playoff run, while we still have yet to have a winning season even with Mario.
And the VAST majority of New Orleans voted for Obama. Nuff said. LOL
Old 08-19-2009   #25
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They must have some good stuff there....

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #26
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's called drinking the hometeam koolade.
If we had Reggie, I'd be defending that pick too. And with Deuce and Pierre Thomas running effectively between the tackles they aren't desparate for him to carry the rushing load. And with Bush being quasi-effective part of the passing game and special teams he's not a complete waste of a uni. So if I were a Saints fan, I would try and make that argument.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #27
kozanack
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 kozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It's called drinking the hometeam koolade.
If we had Reggie, I'd be defending that pick too. And with Deuce and Pierre Thomas running effectively between the tackles they aren't desparate for him to carry the rushing load. And with Bush being quasi-effective part of the passing game and special teams he's not a complete waste of a uni. So if I were a Saints fan, I would try and make that argument.
Well above average as a punt returner. Serviceable, but below avg receiver. Serviceable, but below avg RB. If it wasn't for his punt returning skills, my guess is that he wouldn't be on the roster. Give him points for versatility. He's not a bust, just overdrafted. If he had been picked in R2 or R3, probably no one would complain.
kozanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2009   #28
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a guest at practice this morning, besides it being one the coolest things I've gotten to do in a while, it was hot and packed with spectators. The whole U of H and Rice teams were there. There were 5 big fights too, I think shockey started 3 of them that punk, demeaco took him to the ground...

I watched the D most of the time and they looked good seein how we are missing Brian and Dunta. I got some cool pics I'll figure out how to post.

Go Texans

Ps oh and Reggie B got a little banged up, if your intrested

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I was a guest at practice this morning, besides it being one the coolest things I've gotten to do in a while, it was hot and packed with spectators. The whole U of H and Rice teams were there. There were 5 big fights too, I think shockey started 3 of them that punk, demeaco took him to the ground...

I watched the D most of the time and they looked good seein how we are missing Brian and Dunta. I got some cool pics I'll figure out how to post.

Go Texans

Ps oh and Reggie B got a little banged up, if your intrested
Shockey is just mad that he hasn't mattered in 3 years...I hope he's smart enough to stay out of Meco's grill, 59 is still a little bit thicker than Shockey's head.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #30
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

790 just reports there were 6 fights.

I was late and only saw two, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #31
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

We aint afraid of no Saints!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #32
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
790 just reports there were 6 fights.

I was late and only saw two, LOL!
I know there was 2 on the defense's field. I heard 2 rumbles over on the offensive field, but maybe there were a couple smaller one's over there that I didn't hear.
Old 08-20-2009   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie gets no credit for anything he does.
He doesn't need any. He's living off the debit card afforded him by all the baseless overhyped commercials he made.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #34
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Mario should dominate Saturday. Saints LT Brown will be out with what is beleived to be a sports hernia. Mario was a constant presence in the backfield today against whoever backed up LT.

Bush might've tweaked his knee during after practice drills. Imagine that
Old 08-20-2009   #35
ragindark
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
Don't know about RB making a defense his ***** but it made me think of this. It still brings an smile to my face when I see it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQUi...eature=related
This is more like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Ubvj4Uf3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnT0ef2gQ5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8aRh2WUz18
ragindark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #36
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1008 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Lot of similarities between us and the Saints. The reason they made a playoff run and we haven't yet is Schaub can't stay on the field. And from the looks of our backups this morning, we won't this year either if Schaub can't stay healthy.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #37
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic View Post
Lot of similarities between us and the Saints. The reason they made a playoff run and we haven't yet is Schaub can't stay on the field. And from the looks of our backups this morning, we won't this year either if Schaub can't stay healthy.
Even if Drew Brees were to go down, they have Mark Brunell as their #2. I watched that "old man" out there today.
He can still chuck it.

...wonder if they'd trade him to us for T.J. and Dan-O?
J/K
(unless they'd go for it...)
Old 08-20-2009   #38
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yall are beginning to make me nervous with all this bad talk about DanO.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yall are beginning to make me nervous with all this bad talk about DanO.
Sorry but the plain fact is, compared to Sage, Dan needs work.
He doesn't absolutely suck but we're used to seeing Sage @ #2 and the offense didn't miss a beat. Dan just isn't at that level yet.

But then again, one must consider Sage has four years of experience over Dan. He SHOULD be better.
Old 08-20-2009   #40
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 299017 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's hope Schaub stays upright, or else it's gonna be another long season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read