Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Preseason game 2:New Orleans @ Houston

video blog from
Quote:
Times-Picayune columnist Jeff Duncan takes a look at the New Orleans Saints' practices and exhibition game against the Houston Texans this week in Houston.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...s_saint_6.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Preseason game 2:New Orleans @ Houston

Quote:
By now, the Saints' defensive players know the tendencies of the offense. Into their third week of training camp, they can at times predict what plays are coming.

That should change, however, over the next few days.

After a walk-through practice today that is closed to the media, the team will board a flight to Houston for three practices -- two Wednesday and one Thursday -- with the Texans and one by themselves. On Friday, there's another walk-through for New Orleans .

Saints Coach Sean Payton said he is looking forward to watching his team practice against the Texans before the teams meet in an exhibition game Saturday night at Reliant Stadium.

"Our goals in Houston are to continue to really emphasize the little things coming off of the game we just played," Payton said. "We'll have the opportunity to work against another opponent for a number of practices, which is helpful. We want to stay healthy but continue to get better on the fundamentals."

It'll be the second consecutive year the Saints and the Texans have practiced against each other and the third year in a row the Saints have worked out against another team in the preseason. Last year, the Texans visited Metairie for three days before a preseason game, and in 2007 the Saints went to Cincinnati to work out against the Bengals.

New Orleans' players said it'll be good to break up the monotony of training camp and match up against a different opponent than the one they face every day in practice.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ork-vs.-Texans
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like defenses have won out here after one week of preseason around the NFL...lotta low scoring games but this one will be anything but that. I expect us to absolutely toy with the Saints defense - first, second and third teams. I can see 500 total yards and a 30+points easily.

The big test will be for our defense, NO aint KC.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
It seems like defenses have won out here after one week of preseason around the NFL...lotta low scoring games but this one will be anything but that. I expect us to absolutely toy with the Saints defense - first, second and third teams. I can see 500 total yards and a 30+points easily.

The big test will be for our defense, NO aint KC.
As in... the Saints are actually worth a damn?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Haha to say the least
Old 08-18-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
You're kiddin' right?
The Saints had the numero uno offense in the league last year, mostly on the strength of Drew Brees' arm. The only guy they lost was Deuce McAllister.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints are a much better team than KC, this will be good for us. I'm looking forward to it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2009   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

I'm also looking forward to a RETRACTABLE ROOF and no slippery field and ridiculous conditions like KC for a friggin preseason game. I'm guessing our injury report after this game won't read like a grocery list for a family of 10.
Old 08-18-2009   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome comment from "jlangkam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlangkam
Posted by jlangkam on 08/18/09 at 7:08PM
Why does everyone think that Reggie is so far behind Mario? Reggie gets no credit for anything he does. Just because he is not a prototype RB, doesn't mean he is behind. I'll bet if you ask Sean Payton, he will tell you that the Saints offense wouldn't be anywhere near as succesfull without Bush. Even if he is not in the play, just being a decoy helps the play tremendously. Not to mention the punts return TD's, and the other games where he has dominated. I hope he shuts up all of his critics this year for good. How many games has Mario W. won for the Texans???

I don't normally get into the Mario/Reggie thing anymore because it's really, really, really played out and besides it's a lot more fun to pick on Vince since he went to a division opponent. Still I know that I want my team looking for decoys at the top of round one in the draft. Can someone who truly follows the Saints fill me in on even one game that Reggie "dominated"? I genuinely don't recall hearing about it. On more than one occasion I've seen the sports media take a fairly garden variety performance of his and act like he dominated the game but I've never once heard tell of him taking over a game and making the defense his *****. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I just don't recall hearing about it or seeing it.

Still comments like this remind me that the three way can of worms that was the top of round one in 2006 and the fallout that followed is played out in three cities (well, at least two), not just ours.
Old 08-18-2009   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I don't normally get into the Mario/Reggie thing anymore because it's really, really, really played out and besides it's a lot more fun to pick on Vince since he went to a division opponent. Still I know that I want my team looking for decoys at the top of round one in the draft. Can someone who truly follows the Saints fill me in on even one game that Reggie "dominated"? I genuinely don't recall hearing about it. On more than one occasion I've seen the sports media take a fairly garden variety performance of his and act like he dominated the game but I've never once heard tell of him taking over a game and making the defense his *****. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I just don't recall hearing about it or seeing it.

Still comments like this remind me that the three way can of worms that was the top of round one in 2006 and the fallout that followed is played out in three cities (well, at least two), not just ours.
As far as I know Reggie Bush is the first guy to get picked in the top 5 and get outplayed by the guy picked in the 7th round of the same draft class.
Old 08-18-2009   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The closest I've heard of RB "dominating" a game was a couple in which he had some good punt returns and decent receiving yards. IMO, the guy could be a game changer if they utilized him better, ala Michael Westbrook. Heas has NEVER made an NFL defense his ***** or anything else. I can't imagine what an offensive guy like Payton is thinking by not finding ways to get RB the ball in the open field.
Old 08-18-2009   #12
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Later on that same guy complains more about how Reggie has been "under the microscope" and that's why the critics hate him so much. For me, I think that Mario has been under MORE scrutiny than Reggie. He's had to battle through the instantaneous belief that he was going to be the biggest mistake in football history. Critics would have LOVED for Mario to tank and prove them all right, and it took two 10+ sack seasons to change their minds.

He also talks about the impact of Reggie as a decoy being greater than the impact of Mario. No way. I guarantee that offenses account for Mario with either a chip block from a RB, an extra TE blocker, sending the RB to the other side. And even when Mario doesn't register a tackle, sack, or TFL, he impacts games by causing pressure and drawing blockers.

Last edited by buddyboy; 08-18-2009 at 11:49 PM.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

if i'm not mistaken his yards from scrimmage are pretty good.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #14
whiskeyrbl

Don't know about RB making a defense his ***** but it made me think of this. It still brings an smile to my face when I see it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQUi...eature=related
Old 08-19-2009   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
if i'm not mistaken his yards from scrimmage are pretty good.
You're mistaken.
1550 rushing yds.
1599 receiving yds.
20 TD's
12 fumbles
All in just 3 short yrs.
Not exactly awe inspiring numbers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=9588
Old 08-19-2009   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie "Bust" Bush

End of story.

Sorry for New Orleans, because I have nothing against them. I would wish the Saints better luck than to get stuck with Bush, I really would. But it's unfortunate they have Bush who will never amount to as much in the NFL as our 3rd round pick Slaton will.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie gets no credit for anything he does.
uhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You're mistaken.
1550 rushing yds.
1599 receiving yds.
20 TD's
12 fumbles
All in just 3 short yrs.
Not exactly awe inspiring numbers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=9588
The Bush-obsessed media threw a party at the end of '06 because Bush broke the record for rookie "all-purpose yards", which includes kickoff and punt returning, as well as yards from scrimmage. What is funny about that is that MJ Drew shattered that same record that same season as a rookie and nobody even mentioned it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #19
jlam
Veteran

Rep Power: 139 jlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respectedjlam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The Bush-obsessed media threw a party at the end of '06 because Bush broke the record for rookie "all-purpose yards", which includes kickoff and punt returning, as well as yards from scrimmage. What is funny about that is that MJ Drew shattered that same record that same season as a rookie and nobody even mentioned it.
Ok well now we're getting into revisionist history. Jones-Drew got ass-loads of praise and credit for breaking that record and most people thought he should have been rookie of the year, which I and most rational Saints fans I know agreed with. He had the best year and was the better player (probably still is). Bush also has never returned a kickoff in his NFL career and really was only a part time punt returner his rookie season as he really wasn't all that good at it yet.

Not promoting anybody, just setting the facts straight.

Anywho, I'm really looking forward to hopefully going to the practice tomorrow morning. Should be a fun week. A poster earlier mentioned that he expected at least 30+ points and 500 total yards. I have a lot of respect for the potential that the Houston offense has, but I would be very dissappointed if that happened. We still have a lot of work to do on defense for sure, but signs are pointing toward our new D-Coord having us leave our old "read and react" defense behind and instead having us be the ones to dictate play. It'll be a defense that's more aggressive and swarming than the one you guys saw last preseason and in the '07 regular season (jesus that was awful). Not to mention we just cut Jason David (praise the lard) and Josh Bullocks has been gone for a while.

Not to say that we're going to be throwing out exotic schemes or anything, because that's not gonna happen. Just that the overall mentality should be less "cautious" than it used to be. "Bend but don't break" wasn't doing a lot of good when you give up the most 20+ and 40+ yard plays in the league. I think I might consider that "breaking".
jlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam View Post
Anywho, I'm really looking forward to hopefully going to the practice tomorrow morning. Should be a fun week. A poster earlier mentioned that he expected at least 30+ points and 500 total yards. I have a lot of respect for the potential that the Houston offense has, but I would be very dissappointed if that happened. We still have a lot of work to do on defense for sure, but signs are pointing toward our new D-Coord having us leave our old "read and react" defense behind and instead having us be the ones to dictate play. It'll be a defense that's more aggressive and swarming than the one you guys saw last preseason and in the '07 regular season (jesus that was awful). Not to mention we just cut Jason David (praise the lard) and Josh Bullocks has been gone for a while.

Not to say that we're going to be throwing out exotic schemes or anything, because that's not gonna happen. Just that the overall mentality should be less "cautious" than it used to be. "Bend but don't break" wasn't doing a lot of good when you give up the most 20+ and 40+ yard plays in the league. I think I might consider that "breaking".
Having watched most of y'alls first game on replay I agree with you, unfortunately. They do seem a bit more agressive than in the past. That said, I have no doubt at all that our offense will move the ball with ease. Like always, it's what we do with it inside the 20 and not turning it over.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read