Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: what is he ranked in your opinon
1 bad 2 6.90%
2 0 0%
3 1 3.45%
4 0 0%
5 not so good 3 10.34%
6 7 24.14%
7 10 34.48%
8 5 17.24%
9 0 0%
10 beter then mario????? 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2009   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ANTONIO SMITH how did he do

i did not see much highlights and i was thinking from what yall think from what higlights yall have seen whats he is ranks 1 being the lowest and 10 the highist
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ANTONIO SMITH how did he do

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
i did not see much highlights and i was thinking from what yall have seen whats he is ranks 1 being the lowest and 10 the highist
He was out there for a very few amount of snaps.... he made a nice tackle on a run play I recall, Barwin was in on the tackle too.... too few snaps to give a ranking tho...I was very pleased with the play of our front 4 in the first quarter (which was when the 1's were in...mostly).
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

ok im sorry i was wondering since there was no highlights and he was our top free agent

edit

i ranked 5 becuse i did not see much and it was the 1st game so
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted a '1' but I thought the score was for the thread.

Errrrerybody say with me now:

Pre-season
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I voted a '1' but I thought the score was for the thread.

Errrrerybody say with me now:

Pre-season
That's funny. I voted 7 because I think he did pretty OK for his 1st preseason game as a Texan. I believe it was Smith that made a nice tackle at the LOS on the 2nd series.Showed some run-stuffing ability.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fair question. Inquiring minds want to know. Smith did okay. I think he played - for the few snaps the 1st team D played - better than Amobi. I think the scorekeeps gave his only tackle to someone else.

I will say this; I'm not sold on the idea that Smith needs to move inside on passing downs. I like stout guys at DT and Okam showed he can get push up the middle on passing downs. Why not leave him (Smith) at DE?

Last edited by ObsiWan; 08-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Fair question. Inquiring minds want to know. Smith did okay. I think he played - for the few snaps the 1st team D played - better than Amobi. I think the scorekeeps gave his only tackle to someone else.

I will say this; I'm not sold on the idea that Smith needs to move inside on passing downs. I like stout guys at DT and Okam showed he can get push up the middle on passing downs. Why not leave him at DE?
I agree with you but injuries can ruin plans in a hurry, he needs to have reps inside and out just in case. Rest assured, our freshest most effective front 4 will be on the field at all times in the regular season, and I likes what I sees so far.
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2009   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I will say this; I'm not sold on the idea that Smith needs to move inside on passing downs. I like stout guys at DT and Okam showed he can get push up the middle on passing downs. Why not leave him (Smith) at DE?

If Okam can play like he should, he would be a beast.

Imagine if we are in a goal line situation and need to stop the run. If that were the case, how about a D line that looked like this:
Mario-Okam-Robinson-Smith

Man! That would be tough to run on!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
If Okam can play like he should, he would be a beast.

Imagine if we are in a goal line situation and need to stop the run. If that were the case, how about a D line that looked like this:
Mario-Okam-Robinson-Smith

Man! That would be tough to run on!
Not to mention Cushing hovering over the A gap
Old 08-18-2009   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why not leave him (Smith) at DE?
Because you want to get your best pass rushers on the field on passing downs. That would be Mario, Barwin, Smith, and someone (Okoye????). Not to mention that Smith was a productive pass rusher from the inside during his years with Arizona.
Old 08-18-2009   #11
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Not to mention Cushing hovering over the A gap
Yup. Cush at the A gap, Meco patrolling the middle, and the X man shoring up the front 7!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #12
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave him a 7.. I don't think he's better than Mario.. but I also believe he's above average! It was just his first preseason game and with a new team and style of play.. I think he will just get better in time.. not to mention the frist team D didn't allow any point's..
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because if you're not moving him inside, then you're not getting the best out of him........the Cardinals realized this and that was one of the things that made him a highly sought after FA. Smith was tough to handle for teams inside, if you leave him strictly at DE you're taking away from his max production.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

who?
Old 08-18-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I consider the dline to currently look like this:

DE1: Mario is Mario. Nothing else needs to be said here.

DE2: Smith is supposed to be the other DE, but with added duties as needed.

DE3: Barwin is a bonus, but can he realistically be a consistent producer?

Interior dlinemen:

Robinson is breaking through the line. He's ahead of the others, IMO.

Okam is showing some up-the-field power. Can he maintain it?

Bulman is a scrapper, and I consider him to be a lot like Robinson.

Travis Johnson. This is the biggest question mark on the dline IMO.

Okoye might not have the "it" that people hoped he would possess. However, what if he's going to be the guy that deflects attention from the other dlinemen during a play? He seems to always be just inches from hitting the QB's arm or from making the play. Which might make him a utility player who will never get the glory but who helps others to get there. He will get a sack. He will make tackles. But maybe he's just a role player, and not a game changer? The injury sucks, to say the least.

Cody is new to the team. He's not coming in with a lot of hype attached to him. I think Okam surpasses him, but that he's on the same level as TJ and Okoye. Which might get him more reps as we go along.

The most dominant lineup, IMO, would be:

RT --- RG --- C/QB --- LG --- LT
Smith Robinson Okam Mario

On a long passing down, such as 3rd and long it would be a 5-2-4:

Barwin Smith Robinson Bulman Mario

DeMeco Cushing

Barwin can cover a TE or rush the QB, and the two LBs can blitz, or cover man, or fake a blitz and drop back into shallow zone as the QB tries to dump it off to a safety-valve RB or TE trying to run a shallow crossing pattern or slant or curl (hot route). Then you'd have two CBs and two safeties added to the mix.

So easy. When do I collect my paycheck from Bob McNair? j/k
Old 08-18-2009   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I know it's just one preseason game, but what I saw, was the possibility to put pressure on the OL, relentlessly. Okoye, Okam, and Cody all showed the ability to get push up the middle, in bursts.... if they can do that consistently, and DelJuan continues to provide the pressure he has, we ought to be pretty good defensively.

Hopefully this is because of a new philosophy that Kollar is pushing.... or Bush for all I care... & we'll also see some of this out of TJ. Then we'll have 6 guys in the DT rotation, if you also count Smith.

I know some people think TJ is worthless, and will say they've never seen TJ do much of anything..... I respond..... Amobie, Cody, Okam never showed much either, till this one preseason game.

Mario, Bullman, Barwin, Smith..... relentless, Offensive Lines are going to get worn down on a regular basis.
Old 08-18-2009   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

On a long passing down, such as 3rd and long it would be a 5-2-4:

Barwin Smith Robinson Bulman Mario

DeMeco Cushing

Barwin can cover a TE or rush the QB, and the two LBs can blitz, or cover man, or fake a blitz and drop back into shallow zone as the QB tries to dump it off to a safety-valve RB or TE trying to run a shallow crossing pattern or slant or curl (hot route). Then you'd have two CBs and two safeties added to the mix.
I've noticed that when we go 5-2 it's almost always Ryans and Diles patrolling the middle. I've seen June put his hands down at the line as well as Cushing and Thompson. I don't know who else has put their hands down outside of the three LBs I stated. I saw Cushing out in coverage once but I do not know where everyone else. I was walking and turned my head just in time to see Cushing make an interception on the final play of practice. That was the only time that I'd actively seen him in a coverage play but I don't know if it was 4-3 or 5-2. I'll say this... I only noticed one other LB out there in space and that was Ryans.

Does what I said mean anything? I don't know. Just saying what I thought I saw.
Old 08-18-2009   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I've noticed that when we go 5-2 it's almost always Ryans and Diles patrolling the middle. I've seen June put his hands down at the line as well as Cushing and Thompson. I don't know who else has put their hands down outside of the three LBs I stated. I saw Cushing out in coverage once but I do not know where everyone else. I was walking and turned my head just in time to see Cushing make an interception on the final play of practice. That was the only time that I'd actively seen him in a coverage play but I don't know if it was 4-3 or 5-2. I'll say this... I only noticed one other LB out there in space and that was Ryans.

Does what I said mean anything? I don't know. Just saying what I thought I saw.
In the game, I thought it was Demeco and Adibi in the middle positions.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know some people think TJ is worthless, and will say they've never seen TJ do much of anything..... I respond..... Amobie, Cody, Okam never showed much either, till this one preseason game.
Travis Johnson IS worthless. Seriously, how the heck are you going to constantly bash Dunta and then try to defend Travis Johnson LOL, that guy is a bum.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Travis Johnson IS worthless.
Sick of the TJ bashing. He's a Texan, deal with it. Its a huge year for him contract-wise as well as career wise. The FO as well as Kubiak believes he can contribute this year otherwise he'd be on the street. He's NOT Casey Hampton nor Jamal Williams nor Shaun Rogers nor whatever Pro Bowl caliber NT you wanna throw out there. He's not the super DT we all expected when he was a 1st round pick yes. But he can contribute to this team in some capacity if he gets his health right.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read