Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-18-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jets Getting Down-sized for Texans Opener

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4405681

Ellis and Pace will be MIA come the Texans game.

Quote:
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis was suspended without pay Monday for the team's regular-season opener and fined $100,000 by the NFL for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The 31-year-old Ellis was arrested in November and charged with possession of marijuana, speeding and driving without insurance after being pulled over by police in Hanover, N.J., a few miles from the team's training facility in Florham Park.

"I wasn't surprised," Ellis said after the morning practice at SUNY Cortland. "I knew there was a possibility of that. The league made a decision. That's what I have to go by and I have to accept it."

Ellis' suspension means the Jets will be without two defensive starters for their season opener at Houston on Sept. 13. Linebacker Calvin Pace was suspended in July for four games without pay for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

"It hurts," Ellis said. "It's a situation that happened last year and for it to carry on into this year, it's kind of tough. I just wish I would've been able to have dealt with it last year. This year is just going into things fresh with that behind me, but it didn't happen that way."

Coach Rex Ryan was uncertain who would replace Ellis, a defensive captain last season and the team's longest-tenured player. Mike DeVito and Ropati Pitoitua are options.

"We'll miss Shaun, obviously, but we feel we have the guys playing behind him that we should be just fine," Ryan said. "So, don't worry about us."

Ellis was speeding on the morning of Nov. 29, 2008, when he was pulled over, according to police, was asked for his registration and insurance, but was uncooperative. Hanover Township Police Capt. Shawn Waldron said Ellis willingly turned over the marijuana when the officer smelled it in the car, and the defensive end said he had smoked some the night before. Waldron said Ellis had less than 50 grams on him, making it a disorderly-persons offense in New Jersey.

"I just have to learn from this mistake and move on," Ellis said. "Just put it behind me and get ready for Week 2."

It wasn't the only trouble Ellis got into last season. He was also fined $10,000 by the league in December for throwing snow at fans following the team's loss at Seattle.

Several fans threw snowballs at New York players and staff as they walked off the field after the Seahawks' 13-3 victory. As he approached the walkway leading to the locker room, Ellis reached into a pile of snow, picked up a large chunk and tossed it into the stands at Qwest Field, appearing to hit at least a few fans, but no one was injured.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jets Getting Down-sized for Texans Opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4405681

Ellis and Pace will be MIA come the Texans game.

Fined for throwing a snowball? Sheesh

OK to throw footballs in the stands? I imagine more fans can be hurt fighting over the football than will be injured by a snowball.

Old 08-18-2009   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope the Texans don't see this junk and think that their opener will be easy. Last year we saw them take the Raiders lightly and get their asses spanked. Hopefully they still remember it.

It may not be true but it frequently seems to me that when the Texans (and previously the Oilers) lose a starter they more often than not see a drop in play from their backup who's filling in. I've lost count of how many other teams backups have stepped in and looked like HOF players for a day against us though.

I really would like to see that trend start going the other way.
Old 08-18-2009   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I would certainly second that.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously, what percent of players smoke? I'm guessing 33.3%. Not that I care, I just want to know.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #6
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Seriously, what percent of players smoke? I'm guessing 33.3%. Not that I care, I just want to know.
Based on my previous experiences, I'd say that 33.3% is way too low. I'd say it's closer to 55% believe it or not. Lots of NFL players smoke weed. And don't get me started on the NBA and MLB.
Old 08-19-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Based on my previous experiences, I'd say that 33.3% is way too low. I'd say it's closer to 55% believe it or not. Lots of NFL players smoke weed. And don't get me started on the NBA and MLB.
Way too low? Really!? Man I was trying to be conservative but damn...

I doubt it's that bad in the MLB, unless guys are just trying to calm down after raging out a roid session.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2009   #8
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I don't know about 55% but it is a fairly high percentage. I saw a lot of things that I probably should not have seen being a valet attendant over my years in Houston. One NBA player I will not name had a huge bag of crack in his cup holder.
Old 08-19-2009   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I don't know about 55% but it is a fairly high percentage. I saw a lot of things that I probably should not have seen being a valet attendant over my years in Houston. One NBA player I will not name had a huge bag of crack in his cup holder.
Did his name start with Ra and end in fer?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read