Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-18-2009   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What area of the team do you think will improve the most?

It seems that every year since Kubiak has taken over, one or two positions on the team are dramatically upgraded. In 2006, I think they kind of found out what they had to work with. In 2007, they dramatically upgraded the QB position, WR, and TE. That is when we got Schaub, Walter, Andre Davis, and OD. In 2008, It was running back and offensive line, when both positions were solidified with the additions of Slaton and a dramatic drop in sacks and improved Gibbs run blocking.

This year, it seems that there is a major push to improve LB and DL with Cushing, Smith, and Barwin.

It seems that they are systematically going through the team and focusing on improving one or two aspects each year.

This leads me to believe that next year they will be focusing on the secondary and bolstering the OL even further.

So far, these guys seem really smart and to know what they are doing. I think they are still in the process of building a championship caliber team and I give them 1-2 more years before they become a perennial playoff team. This may be the first year though.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What area of the team do you think will improve the most?

Your right they have focused and improved 1-2 areas of the team each year and systematicaly the team is getting better. It's pretty obvious that the D-line and LB's were the subject of their focus this offseason and should be much improved. The only thing they lack is experience and playing time together. In a couple years they should be a great front D7. The biggest weakness left to improve upon is the secondary and depending on the Dunta situation, and where we finish at the end of the season, hopefully we can pick CB, FS, SS in the first 2 rounds of next years draft while continuing to upgrade the O-line a little each year. The only thing that stands in the way are injuries, that make a team change the focus of their draft, and greedy players with over inflated egos like Dunta, and free agency.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning.
Old 08-18-2009   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully defensive turnovers.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #5
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to be a completely delusional optimist and say that we are going to improve in turnover ratio and red zone offense. I think those are two areas we addressed with our OL picks and defensive choices. They are also IMO the two areas where we will see the greatest improvement in our record if we fix them.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in the minority, but I say Bennett, Quin, McCain and DR will vastly improve the CB positions. This will bring relieve to safeties and make that position better also. The improvement of line and backers will have defense climbing the chart but the CBs will be very, very good.

The major improvement however will be at running back. We will have a power runner to eat up clock and move the chain in Arian Foster. Slaton's productivity will continue but on reduced attempts. Expect him to add more yards this season as a "Bush" type player on reverses and setting up wide. Brown will be the 3rd down and short and red zone producing machine. Moats if he runs as he did against KC can offer Slaton some down time. Mixing and Matching will allow RBs to be most improved unit.

Biggest question is who is going to do most damage to the opponents? Our running backs or WR/ TE.
Old 08-18-2009   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember when Kubiak first arrived, Denver fans were saying it would take years for the offensive system to be fully implemented and up to full speed. Well, last year we saw a huge spike in yardage. This year I am expecting them to convert more TDs and take the leap in actual points on the board.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-18-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I think last year was the year of the Line Backer. Adding Adibi & Diles really bolstered that position. Cushing is icing on the cake, with Adibi & June now making quality depth.

Even though I think June should be starting. We've also got those that think Adibi should be starting, so that says alot. I think.

This year, I think our DL, especially our interior is going to make some noise. Amobi looked fresh, and strong against KC. Cody looked quick & lethal, & Okam looked like bad news. I can't wait to see them when the season starts.

The defensive backfield, is the only area left that needs major improvement. With the investment of low round picks...... I can't imagine that to be this year.

But I think the OL & the running game is going to take a real jump this season.
Old 08-18-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

giveaway/takeway needs to be 1+ ATLEAST by seasons end
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Even though I think June should be starting. We've also got those that think Adibi should be starting, so that says alot. I think.

This year, I think our DL, especially our interior is going to make some noise. Amobi looked fresh, and strong against KC. Cody looked quick & lethal, & Okam looked like bad news. I can't wait to see them when the season starts.
At first I disagreed but thinking about it...a hurdle never hurt anybody and Adibi isn't a proven player yet. I doubt it works out like this but I can see June making the team.

I didn't see much of Okoye but the big O certainly showed up to play ball didn't he? He's not fast but boy is he strong. He plays like that he not only makes the team but he's getting regular reps, possibly starting if he can condition properly.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta say our secondary will be the most improved unit on the team as a function of better DL play. We may or may not get a lot of sacks, but I bet we see a much improved passrush and the O will be better at putting TD's on the board instead of FG's, so teams will have to pass more to try and stay in the game.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #12
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 114195 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

The Defense got better the moment we fired R. Smith
Old 08-19-2009   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall, I'm hoping the defense will improve the most! With all the draft picks and FA's we got, as well as the addition of Bush, Gibbs and Kollar, the whole defense should make a big improvement. I agree the back end is still a little weak, but I think they may surprise us. Once Dunta and Molden get up to speed the CB's could turn out to be a pretty good group even without Reeves. As for the Safety's, I was disappointed we lost Nolen but I think Busing may be a pretty good find. We should be OK with Barber, Ferguson and Wilson as long as injuries don't kill us, but this is definitely an area for upgrade in the offseason. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I gotta say our secondary will be the most improved unit on the team as a function of better DL play. We may or may not get a lot of sacks, but I bet we see a much improved passrush and the O will be better at putting TD's on the board instead of FG's, so teams will have to pass more to try and stay in the game.
Why? We haven't even began to shown the ability to score TDs. Even against a horrendous KC team, we only scored a single TD with two field goals. I know it's only been just one preseason game but it was nothing but much of the same RZ troubles.

We gain yards in gobs but we sputter as we near the goal line. 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team. It's all still the same when we're running out of gas as space shrinks. I think we might be a very good CFL team but our RZ troubles have to disappear against New Orleans and Minnesota.

Kris Brown is easily my favorite player on the Houston Texans but I want him doing only kickoffs, not field goals.
Old 08-19-2009   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Why? We haven't even began to shown the ability to score TDs. Even against a horrendous KC team, we only scored a single TD with two field goals. I know it's only been just one preseason game but it was nothing but much of the same RZ troubles.

We gain yards in gobs but we sputter as we near the goal line. 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team. It's all still the same when we're running out of gas as space shrinks. I think we might be a very good CFL team but our RZ troubles have to disappear against New Orleans and Minnesota.

Kris Brown is easily my favorite player on the Houston Texans but I want him doing only kickoffs, not field goals.
The only time the 1st team got to the RZ they got the TD. Too early to tell though.
Old 08-19-2009   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see improvement across the board, but the one great improvement will be sacks. We will dramatically increase our sack total while decreasing the sacks allowed.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We certainly need to do better in the redzone.
But those stats are quite misleading.

The INTS and Fumbles, some were unforced, some were forced.
The penalties, most of them were unforced.

There were also many instances where we didn't have enough time so we had to settle for the FGs.

And there were times that we simply wanted to run out the clock.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The give away/take away margin better improve or Kubes could be in trouble.

I think they will be more efficient in the red zone.

I hope the pass rush improves or with this secondary (can you say toast)

I look at Okam as a 1st/2nd down run stopper this team hasn't had since S.Payne. Okam is going to come into his own this year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The DL (I know...its always supposed to be improved). By adding Barwin we upgrade the pass rush and allow Smith to move inside on passing downs bolstering DT and further improving the pass rush. Smith opposite Mario is a huge upgrade over Weaver as well. If Okoye plays up to his draft slot and someone steps up at the NT for running downs then the DL will be the most improved unit this season.
Old 08-19-2009   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 76476 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

We didn't play our 1st team very long and they managed a TD in a driving rainstorm. Did they look like the 80's 49ers? The 90's Bills? No, but it was the 1st PREseason game. Like cak said, we'll have to wait and see, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. On that note, I sure do hope Schaub stays healthy. I'm not at all comfy with the backups.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read