Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-16-2009   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Podcast report from Chiefs/Texans

After the game was over, John Harris and I went into the station and put together an 18 minute podcast for my Chronicle blog (The Z-Report). Let me know what you agree or disagree with.

I can tell you now that I wasn't quite as down on Duane Brown and John Harris was and I was very happy to see Barwin pull a fake inside spin move out of his ass and follow it up with that burst on the edge to get to the CB. That is the move of a creative young man and not someone who just runs into tackles and engages them (which is usually a losing proposition when you are Barwin's size).

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #2
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Podcast report from Chiefs/Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
After the game was over, John Harris and I went into the station and put together an 18 minute podcast for my Chronicle blog (The Z-Report). Let me know what you agree or disagree with.

I can tell you now that I wasn't quite as down on Duane Brown and John Harris was and I was very happy to see Barwin pull a fake inside spin move out of his ass and follow it up with that burst on the edge to get to the CB. That is the move of a creative young man and not someone who just runs into tackles and engages them (which is usually a losing proposition when you are Barwin's size).

Lance,

I was surprised that John was so critical of Duane Brown. I thought he looked great after the first series. He missed an assignment, perhaps, and got caught leaning that first series but I attribute that to the first live action of the season and also having the red-headed dough boy next to him.

Did you notice the job Duane Brown did on the TD? He washed the DE into the interior, came off that block and absolutely pancaked the LB that was trying to fill the hole. That TD was as much his as it was Chris'.

Anyway, thanks for the podcast. Keep that stuff up. We are starving for intelligent football coverage around here.

by the way, I'd love to hear more of your football questions at Kubiak's monday pressers instead of McCain's 20 questions about everyone's favorite color, etc...
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #3
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Brown and the entire first unit did a much better job on the series when Chris Brown was in. I agree about the backside tackles doing a very good job of washing their men down to open up those backside lanes.
Old 08-16-2009   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown did a great job.

He drove his man well into the area of where the LBs are, and way out of the area of the running lane.
Old 08-16-2009   #5
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

nice breakdown. keep the podcasts coming.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Listened to Harris on your Pod cast and I must ask what he smokes to think that DanO was good and Schaub was just OK.

DanO looked like Carr. Cant make a decision, held on the ball for to long, and couldn't hit the broad side of the ocean.

Other than that, good pod cast.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #7
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The podcast spent too much time talking about what 5th rd pick Okam should do and not enough time talking about what 1st rd pick, Okoye, failed to do; i.e., be some kind of factor. Okam, Robinson, and Cody all outplayed our 1st rd pick, IMHO. He needs to pick it up.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2009   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Listened to Harris on your Pod cast and I must ask what he smokes to think that DanO was good and Schaub was just OK.

DanO looked like Carr. Cant make a decision, held on the ball for to long, and couldn't hit the broad side of the ocean.

Other than that, good pod cast.
oh yeah, that too. Dan-O seldom looked left. Almost always to his right. that's why the 2nd and 3rd string DBs for KC were jumping our routes.
Old 08-17-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

thanks guys, excellent stuff.

Overall I was dissapointed in the defense more so than the offense. Limited time for starters I realize but it would seem depth is still a legit concern going forward. 1st team defense, if all are healthy, would expect to be dominant. Take Cushing out & suddenly its not so intimadating. The DT's have got to push harder given their rotation they should be fresh at all times & give max effort. Really impressed with both rookie corners, but they'll make some mistakes, thats to be expected & should not detract from the overall aggresiveness up front.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

iam taking nothing from this game our team just didnt feel like playing in the rain we are a rain free team since we got a roof how long has it been since we played in the rain ??????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually thought we played well without Cushing. At this time I don't know how much better we get with Cushing in there. I thought Diles and Adibi both played well. I thought our secondary was still our secondary let too many passes get completed. I think we had them at 3rd and 11 and they got 12 yards at one point.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #12
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The podcast spent too much time talking about what 5th rd pick Okam should do and not enough time talking about what 1st rd pick, Okoye, failed to do; i.e., be some kind of factor. Okam, Robinson, and Cody all outplayed our 1st rd pick, IMHO. He needs to pick it up.

I have spent lots of time over the past year talking about what Okoye has failed to do on my blog so I wanted to spend more time talking bout the guys who got the most reps in the game since it was only game one. Trust me, Okoye will be coming up this preseason as I think the time has come for him to step up and produce.
Old 08-18-2009   #13
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I actually thought we played well without Cushing. At this time I don't know how much better we get with Cushing in there. I thought Diles and Adibi both played well. I thought our secondary was still our secondary let too many passes get completed. I think we had them at 3rd and 11 and they got 12 yards at one point.

To me, it is more about the freedom on defense that Cushing allows Frank Bush. With Cushing in there, the Texans are bigger and stronger, but Bush will have a chance to mess with the alignment a little more or run different blitz packages more often.
Old 08-18-2009   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
I have spent lots of time over the past year talking about what Okoye has failed to do on my blog so I wanted to spend more time talking bout the guys who got the most reps in the game since it was only game one. Trust me, Okoye will be coming up this preseason as I think the time has come for him to step up and produce.
Fair enough.
This week will provide a better assessment when we face the #1 offense from last year as opposed to the #24 offense of KC.
Old 08-18-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like John Harris, but he's a hard sell on the subject of Duane Brown going all the way back to his rant on Draft-Day in 2008 when the Texans took Brown with their first-round pick. I think he said then that Brown was a 3rd-rd or 4th-th round player ?
I got to see Cushing who was still up and running on the one practice session I attended and I was impressed by his apparent athleticism, movement, and outstanding size (for a backer). But it was far from full-contact so I dunno how we can assess what he will or won't bring to our defense without anymore action than he's seen so
far ?
And on Barwins sack, he said in a Chron interview it was a very weak move he put on the Chiefs OT, actually he was almost apologetic for it. So I like that and I'm waiting to see what he can do when he's got his A-game going ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me, it is more about the freedom on defense that Cushing allows Frank Bush. With Cushing in there, the Texans are bigger and stronger, but Bush will have a chance to mess with the alignment a little more or run different blitz packages more often.
LZ, don't you think that Chaun Thompson offers a similar skill set? I find it strange that he hasn't been considered for the backup SAM with his size, athleticism, and pass rush ability. Why do you think he's so far down on the depth chart?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

also should mention good points -
  • importance of blocking to WR position. next draft that's something I'll have to place a higher value, cause anyone hoping to crack this roster must have established that skill set & willingness to block
  • Barwin gifted feet & ability to play in space, combined with Okam presence inside to flash dominance
  • Orlovsky improved with minutes played. Could still be suffering from being shellshocked in Detroit. Looks closer to a mirror image of the starting QB as oppossed to last seasons back-up QB. Project in development, upside is there
  • Like idea to allow DeMeco more blitz opportunities. I would like to see the Texans lock him up long term before cutting him loose to see what he is truely capable of now he has talent around him
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
LZ, don't you think that Chaun Thompson offers a similar skill set? I find it strange that he hasn't been considered for the backup SAM with his size, athleticism, and pass rush ability. Why do you think he's so far down on the depth chart?
Thompson is not nearly as fluid, doesn't have great hip turn/change of direction and isn't all that nimble. He's a borderline NFL player. He's another, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" player.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009   #19
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Last year they would bump Thompson down to DE to rush the passer so maybe they will think about doing that again since he has a 3-4 OLB background. I don't know if he's as good against the run as they would like and I'm not sure his speed is where it used to be either.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read